• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Action #1 Sale

357 posts in this topic

There are only a handful of better copies, and you aint getting them.

Things change. New copies come into existence, or owners of existing copies decide to sell for whatever reason. Kramer's been selling in recent years, so why not the 8.5 at some point? confused-smiley-013.gif

Let me ask your opinion.

Do you think[in your opinion] that with rusted staples the 8.5 deserves a grade of 8.5 ? Are there examples of other very high grade books with both staples rusted.

There were several Palo Altos with rusty staples that CGC graded at 9.2. Not sure if there were any 9.4s.s

I don't have my copy handy,but I believe that the Overstreet grading guide allows staple replacement with VINTAGE staples ONLY, in the Very Fine range,which I seem to remember as being inclusive of the 8.5 grade.If it were me,I would speak with Steve and see if they do recognize that axiom of Overstreet grading and if so,I would promptly have that work done on a world class book like ActionComics # 1.

GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. I know staple replacement has garnered the Qualified label in the past,but I remember reading that CGC and Overstreet were supposed to be working in tandem(to a degree)on the most recent grading guide,and that may have changed.Even though staple replacement can be considered cosmetic it still entails a certain function of the conservational.

Let me ask your opinion.

Do you think[in your opinion] that with rusted staples the 8.5 deserves a grade of 8.5 ? Are there examples of other very high grade books with both staples rusted.

you think the staples are that rusty? If they werem would CGC have given the book an 8.5? Even for Daniel?

I know that 6.5 is High Grade for Action #1 but there are people who would still say 6.5 is not high grade.

you're right. 6.5 is and isnt high grade. But as things stand, for an unrestored Action 1, its petty darn good. And I know what you menat before. If I had the 6.5 Id be bummed a bit that prices has shifted such that Id be "stuck" at 6,5 forever. Thats what you meant and I agree wirh you.

I think we're reading a bit too much into this sale at this point in time. Sure, other potential sellers may look at this and increase their ask price. But if no one is willing to step up to the plate on the bid side this sale is going to nothing more than a temporary blip.. action1kid if I were you it would be the NEXT sale, not this one, that I would be eyeing with all kinds of interest. That's when you'll get at least some indication of whether it's a blip or a price shift.

right. but the 'news' here isn that Action 1 is a very valuable comic book. But that its so valuable in a shiite grade like a VG. I dont think this affect sthe values of the HG copies all that much, as it serves only to lower the spread between the grades... which makes a lot of sense to me. They arent easy to come by!

what Im saying is that although by all measurable data and exoperience a VG copy is "worth" half this sales price, if the best copy is "worth 1, 2 or 4 million bucks, why shouldnt the 9th best (or whatever) be worth 200K on nay given day, to any given buyer, when a copy actually surfaces for sale, once a year or whatever.

..and tings uv dat nature..

One thing about the 4.0 copy is that it is a perfect candidate for restoration.If the stigma towards restoration begins to diminish,which it seems to be showing signs of doing,then that" foolish" investment may turn out to be a homerun.Someone is probably speculating on that and the movie hype to justify their purchase.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Ill take a shot at this

this is what i think the realistic prices should be on Action #1

MN-9.2 V.F FINE VG GOOD

1.5 MIL 725,000 250,000 100,000 50,000

Just my opinion...this is not a law of the universe before you all start jumpin on me.

One thing about the 4.0 copy is that it is a perfect candidate for restoration.If the stigma towards restoration begins to diminish,which it seems to be showing signs of doing,then that" foolish" investment may turn out to be a homerun.Someone is probably speculating on that and the movie hype to justify their purchase.GOD BLESS...

Your kidding right?

Ill take a shot at this

MN-9.2 V.F FINE VG GOOD

Just my opinion...this is not a law of the universe before you all start jumpin on me.

thats my assessment too. and this sale is noteworthy because it pushes up the lower end. Will it hold? or was it a one-time gottahaveitnow sale?

tune in next week!

hey - - maybe it was Keith Olberman! and Mark's plug for Supie was part of the sale!
Or maybe it was Brandon Routh, Kevin Spacey or Bryan Singer and all bets are off with Supes merchandise. Get it now before the second and third movies break.

Ill take a shot at this

MN-9.2 V.F FINE VG GOOD

here is my take on the VG pricing.

1)Heritage sold a G+ with pucholes in late 2004 for $35000.

2)I recall sitting at a heritage auction in late 2003 and a VG/F sold for $115.000 (?)

3)I believe someone is saying a F+ sold for 250,000 fairly recently (?)

Anyway based on the earlier two sales I would have priced the VG at around

$ 90,000.in early 2004 prices. I'll use Metro's concept that the S&P has advanced

25% since then. Therefore I would price the VG around $120,000 today.

If the F+? is an accurate sale I would place the F value around $180 today.

which would make the VG arond $120.

The above are my numerical estaimates without trying to get into anyone's motivation (the movie, the lorttery winner, the scarcity, etc).

However, I will admit that the Action 1 is a unique copy. How many copies of Action 1 have Tape stains? Usually Tape brings the value of a book down. Now it might start a trend.

In closing, keep the scan.