• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Action #1 Sale

357 posts in this topic

I would say it was the Heritage sales that actually skewed the data on the low side. Thats what happens when you offer hundreds of expensive GA/SA books every 3-4 months, including multiple six figure books. The prices that should have been realized simply cannot be achieved. There is just so much money to go around.

There have been several sales on Heritage (where the highest prices in the hobby are paid) over the past two years that were much lower. I don't think the sale of the 4.0 should be included in any averages.

This exact book was reported to have sold for $112,500 in OS 31.

Less than doubling of price in 5 years. Actually, the $195K doesn't seem so outrageous in that context. confused-smiley-013.gif

What is that, a roughly 15% average annual rate of return? Not bad.

Up to 29 total copies of which 20 have blue labels now.Not all 20 are unrestored however.

Interesting that Action #1 has a much higher percentage of unrestored books vs restored books than other golden age keys. 20 blue vs 9 plods

Up to 29 total copies of which 20 have blue labels now.Not all 20 are unrestored however.

Interesting that Action #1 has a much higher percentage of unrestored books vs restored books than other golden age keys. 20 blue vs 9 plods

That IS surprising. I guess they were too busy restoring their copies of Detective #27, which is so tough to find unrestored.

What about Marvel Comics #1? There seem to be a fair number of unrestored copies.

Some more interesting notes.

the restored 6.5 was once owned by actor Charlie Sheen.

the 4.5 [unrestored] was owned by Nic Cage.

There is actually a qualified Action 1

A copy with rusted staples is the highest graded copy[on the census anyway]

there is an 8.5 copy that is actually trimmed!..PLOD

That IS surprising. I guess they were too busy restoring their copies of Detective #27, which is so tough to find unrestored.

What about Marvel Comics #1? There seem to be a fair number of unrestored copies.

There are definitely more high grade, unrestored copies of that one.

I don't hear anybody talking about the Red Headed Stepchild of GA #1's. Whiz Comics #2(1). 8 non-restored vs 16 restored. 8.5 being the highest non-restored with 9.2 being the highest restored on census. I can't help but think there are a few raws sitting people's collections out there.

Nice looking book. Amazing to think that if I have 195K to blow on a copy of Action #1, the best I can do is a VG copy.

Not true, I had a CGC 7.5 restored copy with Off-White to White pages that I sold for $44K a few years back, looks like someone got a deal! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

West

Nice looking book. Amazing to think that if I have 195K to blow on a copy of Action #1, the best I can do is a VG copy.

Im sure the above statement is referring to an unrestored copy.

I'm sure it is. What I do not understand is how a restored 7.5 that was probably an unrestored 4.0 to begin with gets repaired and looses $150,000 in value. In what world does that make any sense? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

West

I'm sure it is. What I do not understand is how a restored 7.5 that was probably an unrestored 4.0 to begin with gets repaired and looses $150,000 in value. In what world does that make any sense? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the world of comic books frown.gif

West

Because the people who didn't mind their books being restored are slowly leaving the hobby or have been priced out and the people with money to spend on high $ books have from experience learned that original makes a huge difference in every other collectible field, especially graded or encapsulated ones. The guys that spent 25-50K on these books when they were in their prime earning years (30-45) are now 50-70 years old and are looking to divest not add on. It is a simple economics lesson of supply and demand.