• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Action #1 Sale

357 posts in this topic

There have been several sales on Heritage (where the highest prices in the hobby are paid) over the past two years that were much lower. I don't think the sale of the 4.0 should be included in any averages.

looks like the ne plus ultra example of "buy the book, not the label[/i]. congrats to the buyer, Mark and Bechara on that one

old tape probably just fell off.

wonderful book.

This is what I was thinking about as a possibility as well. I've had a couple of books with tape that was so old and dry it was literally falling off, leaving nothing but a bit of a stain behind.

But, it seemed like an interesting question to ask, esp. considering the current hub-bub(s) and the scale of this sale. Not trying to raise any red flags, just curious about how this might have played into the deal (if at all).

looks like the ne plus ultra example of "buy the book, not the label[/i]. congrats to the buyer, Mark and Bechara on that one

Yeah, except here the guy was paying a price well above the label. Unfortunately, if he ever needs to sell it, most potential buyers will say "Sure, it's a great looking book (except for the tear under Superman's cape), but if the label says it's a 4.0, then it's a 4.0 and I'm only going to pay a 4.0 price."

There have been several sales on Heritage (where the highest prices in the hobby are paid) over the past two years that were much lower. I don't think the sale of the 4.0 should be included in any averages.

This exact book was reported to have sold for $112,500 in OS 31.

This exact book was reported to have sold for $112,500 in OS 31.

Less than doubling of price in 5 years. Actually, the $195K doesn't seem so outrageous in that context. confused-smiley-013.gif

It gets a tad more outrageous when you consider that in the past two years or so a 3.5 and a 3.0 blue label each sold for under 50k in Heritage.

This buyer is some dealers sugar daddy, that's for sure!

old tape probably just fell off.

wonderful book.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Spontaneous restoration?