• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are High Grade HOS really that hard to find? 9.9's anyone?

70 posts in this topic

Those prices are ridiculous. I've bought from that seller before, and his NMs are VFs. You can see corner damage on the HOS 88, and the cut is - as already mentioned - less than ideal.

That being said, that book is a pain to find in grade. I've got 2 VFish copies, one with excellent centering, and I've been looking for them for over 10 years.

I'm not sure what goes through redf1shings head.

HOS 89 for $113 by our own ramrod (see, it can be done).

You think he is going to send it in for grading? I'd be interested to see whether it comes back a 9.4 or not. Maybe I'll PM him.

I hope this comic is worthy of slabbing. This is one of the few issues that I don't have either raw or slabbed so I've been after this comic for some time. I looked at all the other HOM & HOS comics this seller had listed and this one seemed to be the closest to true nm 9.4 condition. If cgc grades it 9.2 or better I'll be happy(even 9.0 wouldn't be upsetting). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I hate HOM 179. Literally every single copy of that book ive had has had bad tanning on the inside covers.

Took me FOREVER to find a nice copy. Mine doesn't have even a hint of tanning and the pages are snow white. I owned a few others in the past, and all had terrible paper with the common tanned edges. Weird. confused-smiley-013.gif

cloud9.gif

houm179.jpg

hom179bk.jpg

"I've seen something like 5 copies of 88 appear in CGC 9.4 in the last year"

that means 5 of the 6 9.4 copies have been in play (assuming you didn't see the same ones getting flipped). Considering some of them might have been pressed into the 2 9.6 copies in the census, doesn't sound like a lot of copies.

"I've seen something like 5 copies of 88 appear in CGC 9.4 in the last year"

that means 5 of the 6 9.4 copies have been in play (assuming you didn't see the same ones getting flipped). Considering some of them might have been pressed into the 2 9.6 copies in the census, doesn't sound like a lot of copies.

I may have been exaggerating the numbers...but I see it way more often than say a HOS 81,82,83.... and in my eyes...5 or 6 copies is a TON of copies relative to surrounding issues. I can't comment on the pressing comment as that's speculation...unless you know something I don't gossip.gif

fair enough, there do seem to be a bunch more 9.4/9.6 copies of 88 and 89 in the census than the other issues in the 80s, but in the back of my head I always thought those sold at a premium because of the covers or the interiors or something like that, so more reason to send them in for encapsulation. I don't have an OPG handy, so maybe I'm making all of this up, then again, OPG isn't the final word on that.

With that said, I would have thought that the dark covers on some of the other issues would make 9/4/9.6 HTF, and that seems to be the case.

I don't know about that HOM 204 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Both the lower left and lower right corners look kinda suspicious for NM and it almost looked like there was a vertical crease on the right side of the cover. I've got a VF/VF+ copy that looks nicer.

The buyer will get burnt on that 204. The right edge does look like it has light crescent creasing.

The 205 might be a good deal, but it's not possible to tell from the scan. That book is a nightmare over VF+, so that price is a steal if it turns out to be a NM- or better.

Would you even be able to tell from a scan if it was Mint (9.9) or not?

I guess he figures those NM's went for so much maybe he could even get more if he just changed the grade to Mint.

I fully expect the next round of auctions to feature the never before seen Gem Mint +.

That one goes to 11 doesn't it?