• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

I've seen a few nice copies over the years, but because it tends to be more coveted than the issues around it, it has a reputation as being tough since most people who get their hands on it aren't willing to kick their copies loose.

I've got another question for you guys (one that was probably answered hundreds of pages ago) --

Which book is the true first app of Gunner and Sarge?

Chris Pedrin's Big Five Guide says AAMOW 67 (Overstreet says "1st Gunner and Sarge by Andru and Esposito), Mikes Amazing World of DC comics list the sale date as January 1959, cover date March 1959.

But the Overstreet says OFF 45 is "1st. app. of Gunner and Sarge) which is also noted by CGC. However, according to Pedrin the cover date is May1959, and according to Mike's Amazing World of DC comics, the sale date is March 1959.

OK, so I answered my own question, it has to be AAMOW 67.

So why is OFF 45 still being labeled as the first appearance?

Now that the OSPG War Correspondents have sorted out the Sgt. Rock appearances, how about if you guys tackle this one next? :wishluck:

If my memory serves me correctly, doesn't Overstreet indicate that OFF 45 is where "Gunner and Sarge begin?" If so then it's pretty clear to me that Overstreet is not saying this is their 1st app. but rather, where their ongoing series under OFF begins. Overstreet also provides the same indication for the Losers in OFF 123 (where their series begins). Hope this helps answer your question.

John

If my memory serves me correctly, doesn't Overstreet indicate that OFF 45 is where "Gunner and Sarge begin?" If so then it's pretty clear to me that Overstreet is not saying this is their 1st app. but rather, where their ongoing series under OFF begins. Overstreet also provides the same indication for the Losers in OFF 123 (where their series begins). Hope this helps answer your question.

John

this is correct (thumbs u

OFF 45 is where Gunner and Sarge "begin" the long run that it had in that series.

AAMOW 67 is the 1st appearance for sure. (thumbs u

Andy