• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Some of us are blocked from work, hence why we ask for the final price. :makepoint:

According to Bleeding Cool -- Sam Glanzman's A Sailor's Story is being reprinted in a new, complete edtion with bouns material!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/13/the-return-of-one-of-marvels-earliest-graphic-novels-a-sailors-story-by-sam-glanzman/

I checked out the link, thanks.

I recently bought "Joe Kubert Presents" (2013), which anthologizes "Joe Kubert Presents" 1 to 6. In this, I am about to read the USS Stevens stories by Glanzman.

My question is: Is "A Soldier's Story" the same as the USS Stevens stories, or is it something totally different?

According to Bleeding Cool -- Sam Glanzman's A Sailor's Story is being reprinted in a new, complete edtion with bouns material!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/13/the-return-of-one-of-marvels-earliest-graphic-novels-a-sailors-story-by-sam-glanzman/

I recently bought "Joe Kubert Presents" (2013), which anthologizes "Joe Kubert Presents" 1 to 6. In this, I am about to read the USS Stevens stories by Glanzman.

My question is: Is "A Soldier's Story" the same as the USS Stevens stories, or is it something totally different?

"A Sailor's Story" is basically USS Stevens, but under Marvel's moniker. I can't confirm this, but it's my impression that if things had worked out the way they SHOULD have worked out, Sam would have strolled into the offices of DC and said, "Yo, you guys published more than 5 dozen of the greatest stories in comics history--all written and drawn by me." What the ^$%* is taking you so long to reprint those stories in their entirety in some kind of deluxe format?"

I get the feeling DC was totally clueless about this at every step along the way and couldn't be bothered to do something that didn't quite fit their usual MO even if Sam was typically humble about the utter genius of the series.

So he pitched it to Marvel who published some original stuff in Savage Tales, but went on to produce the two graphic novels that basically compress a number of the original story lines from USS Stevens (in DC) and collect them into a larger, more expansive format. The Sailors Story GNs that Marvel released a long time ago are being collected in one volume. I'd DEFINITELY go out and buy that. You won't regret buying and reading it. Wonderful stuff!!

If you're looking for a bit more info, here's a good link:

http://www.oocities.org/ussstevens/list.htm

"A Sailor's Story" is basically USS Stevens, but under Marvel's moniker. I can't confirm this, but it's my impression that if things had worked out the way they SHOULD have worked out, Sam would have strolled into the offices of DC and said, "Yo, you guys published more than 5 dozen of the greatest stories in comics history--all written and drawn by me." What the ^$%* is taking you so long to reprint those stories in their entirety in some kind of deluxe format?"

I get the feeling DC was totally clueless about this at every step along the way and couldn't be bothered to do something that didn't quite fit their usual MO even if Sam was typically humble about the utter genius of the series.

So he pitched it to Marvel who published some original stuff in Savage Tales, but went on to produce the two graphic novels that basically compress a number of the original story lines from USS Stevens (in DC) and collect them into a larger, more expansive format. The Sailors Story GNs that Marvel released a long time ago are being collected in one volume. I'd DEFINITELY go out and buy that. You won't regret buying and reading it. Wonderful stuff!!

If you're looking for a bit more info, here's a good link:

http://www.oocities.org/ussstevens/list.htm

35 years later and DC still hasn't figured it out.

I was the underbidder on the Comiclink OAAW 83, so pushed it about $350 higher in the last 45 seconds or so.

In retrospect, wish I'd pushed to $2,600 or so.

Maybe war books are in a seasonal slump? I sold about 10 other OAAW issues from 86-100 in last month's Clink auction and every one of them was soft & sold for under what I paid a few years ago.

Just thought the OAAW 83 was weird because every other book I looked at went a stupid over-GPA prices. While this one was technically over-GPA for the grade, still seemed like a bargain.

Edited by Gatsby77

Anybody know the scoop on the Church OAAW#83, if there is such a thing? No reported pedigree sales at all on GPA

I'm unaware of any DC war books amongst the Church collection. There WERE comics that Church purchased as late as 1962 (and a few later?), but the runs petered out quite a bit by the mid-50s as I recall. . .and I don't know of a single Church copy of ANY DC war book much less an OAAW 83.

That WOULD be cool, though, if it DID exist.