• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Does a copy of OAAW 83 from any pedigree exist? I'm not aware of one.

So far as I'm aware, none exist. I'm not sure if any "unofficial" pedigrees included a copy of this book- Newsboy, Sid's Luncheonette, etc. Perhaps another reason why this book is the scarcist SA key?

Yes, Salida. It's certainly possible that there was a Bethlehem copy.

There's a Salida SSWS 86 (first Marie by Drucker :cloud9: ) but I haven't heard of an 84. A friend of mine has a copy of the original Salida list -- buried deep in a very disorganized storage locker. :(

There's a Salida SSWS 86 (first Marie by Drucker :cloud9: ) but I haven't heard of an 84. A friend of mine has a copy of the original Salida list -- buried deep in a very disorganized storage locker. :(

....then we need to send his Mom down to the Man Cave to give him the spanking he so richly deserves :sumo: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes, Salida. It's certainly possible that there was a Bethlehem copy.

What grade is the Salida?

Maybe Oakland and Mass Pedigrees. They used to collect many war issues but I think they collected them in late 60's. OAAW 83 was printed in 1959.

....then we need to send his Mom down to the Man Cave to give him the spanking he so richly deserves :sumo: GOD BLESS...

jimbo's right- we need to see that list.

adamstrange, any chance you can get him to find that list? Would be awesome to see it.

Anybody know the scoop on the Church OAAW#83, if there is such a thing? No reported pedigree sales at all on GPA

I'm unaware of any DC war books amongst the Church collection. There WERE comics that Church purchased as late as 1962 (and a few later?), but the runs petered out quite a bit by the mid-50s as I recall. . .and I don't know of a single Church copy of ANY DC war book much less an OAAW 83.

That WOULD be cool, though, if it DID exist.

Edgar Church passed away in 1978. Chuck Rozanski purchased his entire collection from his children who had little knowledge in the comic books but wanted his house to be sold immediately before the value went down due to the ethical people moving in his old neighborhood.

Edgar was 90 years old and was probably in a caring home. He was too old to tell his children about his collection.

He collected the comic book in 1930's until 1950's. OAAW #83 was printed in 1959. I doubt that he collected the war comics not even EC Comics. He may be a religious person. Who knows. You can always ask Chuck. He was slowly selling the entire collection one by one for ten years. I am sure that he may remember most of it.

Edited by JollyComics

adamstrange, any chance you can get him to find that list? Would be awesome to see it.

There is almost zero chance of finding that list even if my friend were near the storage unit, which he's not. It would easily take a week for him to find it, even if I helped.

Anybody know the scoop on the Church OAAW#83, if there is such a thing? No reported pedigree sales at all on GPA

I'm unaware of any DC war books amongst the Church collection. There WERE comics that Church purchased as late as 1962 (and a few later?), but the runs petered out quite a bit by the mid-50s as I recall. . .and I don't know of a single Church copy of ANY DC war book much less an OAAW 83.

That WOULD be cool, though, if it DID exist.

Edgar Church passed away in 1978. Chuck Rozanski purchased his entire collection from his children who had little knowledge in the comic books but wanted his house to be sold immediately before the value went down due to the ethical people moving in his old neighborhood.

Edgar was 90 years old and was probably in a caring home. He was too old to tell his children about his collection.

He collected the comic book in 1930's until 1950's. OAAW #83 was printed in 1959. I doubt that he collected the war comics not even EC Comics. He may be a religious person. Who knows. You can always ask Chuck. He was slowly selling the entire collection one by one for ten years. I am sure that he may remember most of it.

Church collected war comics starting with the first war-themed series from Dell, "War Comics." As I noted earlier there are no DC war comics on the original Church sales list and neither comick1 nor I have heard of any Church copies of DC war.

There is almost zero chance of finding that list even if my friend were near the storage unit, which he's not. It would easily take a week for him to find it, even if I helped.

...I'm just glad their IS a list..... this way another may turn up.... Enquiring minds need to know lol ...... as for Chuck..... he has a link on his website to his first MH/ Church sales list from '77.... and whatever else anyone may say, he's pretty damn cool to do that. It's a deep list, though..... composed of over 40 tabloid pages consisting of FOUR 8 1/2" X 11" inch pages per page..... it takes a minute to find what you're looking for. GOD BLESS...

...I'm just glad their IS a list.....

I've seen it and could have made a copy but it wasn't that big of a priority. I don't believe it was complete and the actual grades varied widely (in both directions) from what was stated. It's possible the Ritter/Nelson have a comprehensive list because of their research and prior contact with Ellsworth. Then again Salida was going to be part of Vol 2 of their pedigree book dealing with SA Pedigrees so they may not have it.

...I'm just glad their IS a list.....

I've seen it and could have made a copy but it wasn't that big of a priority. I don't believe it was complete and the actual grades varied widely (in both directions) from what was stated. It's possible the Ritter/Nelson have a comprehensive list because of their research and prior contact with Ellsworth. Then again Salida was going to be part of Vol 2 of their pedigree book dealing with SA Pedigrees so they may not have it.

This discussion has me thinking about lists for pedigree collections. I've seen Chuck's list and wonder who if anyone has lists for others? Bethlehem? Twin Cities? Boston? etc. Be great if these lists could be posted somewhere for reference. Love to see Overstreet do something with this.

Here's my INCOMPLETE Salida list. When Brucie was reading them off to me on the phone (pre-internet. . .at least for me), I was frantically trying to scrawl them down. I wrote grades on many but not all. He was also off on the grades--overgrading some and undergrading others. No consistency. The only thing consistent about them was their bone-white pages and freshness.

This ONLY includes DCs. I had friends who purchased a lot of Atlas and even some Charlton, and Fawcett, maybe an EC or two; but at the time, I didn't have $$ to spend on those. . .unlike now when I'm just sitting on a mountain of cash [dept]!

dc_salida_incomplete_zpsc165218c.jpg