• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Picked this up from a Boardie (edgerx) and very pleased with it. Second Sgt. Rock, I had to do a double-take when checking the Price Guide as it is so inexpensive (I paid a premium for the book, and gladly did so!).

Not in Mick's high-grade territory, but a solid book I'm very pleased to have...

baeb7a90-df3b-4029-9f85-5487a541d546_zps295ddb7d.jpg

Picked this up from a Boardie (edgerx) and very pleased with it. Second Sgt. Rock, I had to do a double-take when checking the Price Guide as it is so inexpensive (I paid a premium for the book, and gladly did so!).

Not in Mick's high-grade territory, but a solid book I'm very pleased to have...

Nice score on that one, Steve. That's officially the 2nd appearance of Rock and significant because it finally gave a foothold to the long uninterrupted continuity that began in #83 and continued through the mid-1980s. It's a badåss Kubert cover, but because it doesn't have Kubert's Rock, some fans have coveted the #85 more. However, I've always felt that #84 was a sleeper (as most 2nd appearances are). It took me nearly 20 years to get a copy in the 8.0 range. It's tough in anything above a Good. Rock on!!!

Agree with Mick on the importance of a 2nd appearance establishing continuity (look at TTA 27 to TTA 35 for the Antman disconnect).

I have reprints on these Sgt. Rock stories - and they are such an enjoyable read - but there's nothing like having an original (plus the other stories in the book, not to mention the letters page and ads which I also enjoy).

That's a really great score, Steve!! :cloud9:

That's a really great score, Steve!! :cloud9:

Love the colors on that book. Whatever you paid, I'm sure it was well worth it for you don't see this book very often. (worship)(worship)

Nice score on that one, Steve. That's officially the 2nd appearance of Rock and significant because it finally gave a foothold to the long uninterrupted continuity that began in #83 and continued through the mid-1980s. It's a badåss Kubert cover, but because it doesn't have Kubert's Rock, some fans have coveted the #85 more. However, I've always felt that #84 was a sleeper (as most 2nd appearances are). It took me nearly 20 years to get a copy in the 8.0 range. It's tough in anything above a Good. Rock on!!!

You better believe it. Scarce book, IMO, and certainly undervalued. great snag! (thumbs u

#85 is a win/win as well, but also due to the first appearance of Ice Cream Soldier.

Agree with Mick on the importance of a 2nd appearance establishing continuity (look at TTA 27 to TTA 35 for the Antman disconnect).

I have reprints on these Sgt. Rock stories - and they are such an enjoyable read - but there's nothing like having an original (plus the other stories in the book, not to mention the letters page and ads which I also enjoy).

I agree. Collected volumes are great but the big drawback with anthology type titles is that you aren't getting the entire comic book.

#85 is a win/win as well, but also due to the first appearance of Ice Cream Soldier.

What a great story - I really liked the way he had to battle his own fear, and also endure the ridicule of his fellow soldiers, before combating the enemy and becoming a hero.

Plus Sgt. Rock gets wounded!

Hey, guys --

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time. I haven't really picked up any war books in a long time, either!

But, I've always been on the look-out for a well-presenting copy of OAAW 168 that didn't break the bank, and when this copy popped up on the bay I decided to pull the trigger.

So I got lucky and I'm really digging this copy. Even if it isn't really the 1st app of the Unknown Soldier ;) The stress lines actually don't look as bad in hand as they do in the scan. And the pages are white! Here goes...

OAAW168_zpsa024880f.jpg

Hey, guys --

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time. I haven't really picked up any war books in a long time, either!

But, I've always been on the look-out for a well-presenting copy of OAAW 168 that didn't break the bank, and when this copy popped up on the bay I decided to pull the trigger.

So I got lucky and I'm really digging this copy. Even if it isn't really the 1st app of the Unknown Soldier ;) The stress lines actually don't look as bad in hand as they do in the scan. And the pages are white! Here goes...

OAAW168_zpsa024880f.jpg

Beautiful copy of that book! Nicely done!

:applause::applause::applause:

Nice 84. I picked up mine a couple years ago from some guy named Andy ;)

Glad I did.

Hey, guys --

OAAW168_zpsa024880f.jpg

Always great having a nice copy of the Soldier's 1st app. - Congrats on getting it!

John