• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing project results--post here

355 posts in this topic

Except the ones that have already been pressed...which is what, like 75% of the books in existing slabs? confused-smiley-013.gif

Of course not...but enough of them are that all slabs in new labels, outside of moderns maybe, are suspect...

Jim

I had the pleasure of meeting Matt in Philly. He is a great guy to talk to. Its obvious he is very knowledgable and real good at what he does. So for those who are are against pressing hate the game not the player, just dont confuse the two. For the rest that dont care about pressing, Matt is someone to consider.

Yeah right. Gordon Gecko seemed like a nice enough character too. This guy presses books for no other reason than greed and you want people to like him. People liked Ewart too so should we not hold that trimming against him. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

There is a difference between a real human being and some fictional character at the movies.

Mutt and Jeff, I love it. The two most contentious members on the Boards (absent Deathlok) 27_laughing.gif What a pair! grin.gifgrin.gif

Glad you approve..and gladly welcome being attached to JC than to shady dealers such as you... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Jim,

While I don't always agee with your opinions,I usually can understand why you feel the way you do.Your comments on Divad are coming from way out of left-field however. I've had numerous dealings with him and not one was less than great. I've shown his books to many forumites and ,without exception,they were said to be undergraded.

I recieved my books last week,and forgot to comment on them.

Spidey 100-bought off ebay as a VF+. Book looks real nice in a mylar,but when examined has a moisture wave thru the front cover.Pressing took out some,but not most of the wave.I'd say a slight improvement.

Flash?- book had a severe fold in it,like someone stuck it in a back pocket for several years. I'd previously had it under glass under my 36 inch TV for almost a year before I sent it to Matt.His pressing was ten times more effective than my experiment,but the fold(non-color breaking,for the most part)is still visable.

Avengers 117- bought from a forumite as a NM. Many,many little nicks and depressions. Pressing took out about half.

Overall,I was disappointed in the improvement of these books,but am happy with the experiment because I now have first hand knowledge that pressing is not the WD-40 of comics.I followed Matts guidelines and sent books that seemed to be perfect candidates.

I had the pleasure of meeting Matt in Philly. He is a great guy to talk to. Its obvious he is very knowledgable and real good at what he does. So for those who are are against pressing hate the game not the player, just dont confuse the two. For the rest that dont care about pressing, Matt is someone to consider.

Yeah right. Gordon Gecko seemed like a nice enough character too. This guy presses books for no other reason than greed and you want people to like him. People liked Ewart too so should we not hold that trimming against him. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Comparing matt to jason ewert is an insult. If I were matt and you said that about me I would be knocking on your front door right now. But matt is too much of a gentleman.

JUST SO WE ARE CLEAR PRESSING IS NOT RESTORATION!

WHAT EWERT DID WAS NOT RESTORATION EITHER. HE RUINED THOSE BOOKS.

Matt Nelson does not ruin books by pressing them. He did my ghost rider # 1 a favor.

Think about this Mr uber high grade collector Maybe you could buy 8.0's have them pressed to 9.0s and save yourself some money instead of complaining about people making money off of pressing.

Comparing matt to jason ewert is an insult. If I were matt and you said that about me I would be knocking on your front door right now. But matt is too much of a gentleman.

WHAT EWERT DID WAS NOT RESTORATION EITHER. HE RUINED THOSE BOOKS.

Matt Nelson does not ruin books by pressing them. He did my ghost rider # 1 a favor.

Think about this Mr uber high grade collector Maybe you could buy 8.0's have them pressed to 9.0s and save yourself some money instead of complaining about people making money off of pressing.

thumbsup2.gif I haven't received my three books back yet, but I can tell you right now, that I'm impressed with Matt's professionalism. I'm looking forward to having some first hand knowledge on how pressing effects appearance and I have Matt to thank for the free lesson. No one likes to be castigated, so please leave the stone throwing to another thread if you don't like pressing.

Thanks

I'd rather just see the before and after scans on this thread, and think we should almost start a new before and after thread with commentary on the effects of pressing (and just leave the thread at that vs the commentary that comes with the infraction of pressing)

Personally I think it's restoration, but don't mind as long as I'm aware of it. Of course, I'm not a 9.6-9.8 book chaser, so I can see why those of you might be concerned.

Interesting that many of the participants seem to think that their books have not improved signigficantly in grade as a result of this process.

I think it's a good example of the fact that a large majority of books are not good pressing candidates.

893whatthe.gif Blasphemy! ALL books are great pressing candidates! makepoint.gif

Except the ones that have already been pressed...which is what, like 75% of the books in existing slabs? confused-smiley-013.gif

You're baiting. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Shouting this doesn't make it true or accuate. Matt himself has even used terminology to assign pressing as being restoration. On different occasions I have even quoted him.

I realize you were hot under the collar for someone making a comparison to Ewert, but I just didn't want this definiton (or lack of definition ) of yours stand.

Glad you were pleased with your books. flowerred.gif

Thats correct. We never have found out who the mystery trimmer is. Nor have I seen a single bit of evidence of any type that it was Mr Nelson.There are hundreds of folks with the knowledge and means to have been the mystery trimmer.It could have been you,or me,or joe blow. Was tthere a point to your post?

Thu Jun 08 2006 12:46 PM

by Red Hook

----------------------- That's what it says in the Index

I clicked here to see Red Hook's post. But it's not here. confused-smiley-013.gif

Interesting that many of the participants seem to think that their books have not improved signigficantly in grade as a result of this process. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Of course the caveat here is according to whom.

Its been established that CGC does in fact knock a book 1/2 to 1 full grade for Non-color breaking wear. Dependent on other defects present of course and the overall consistency of the grade. In order to have true idications of change in CGC grade assessment it would have been necessary to sub the book to CGC, get Matt to Press it, then resub it. I personally was hoping for more candidates that were previous submissions cracked and sent off to Matt.

Anyway back to popcorn.gif

Actually, both Darthdiesel and Red Hook submitted CGC books--I forgot to list that information on the original post. So we will get to see how a few come back.

Darth

Weird Wonder Tales #16 CGC 7.5 (press to 9.0 - 9.2)

Chamber of Chills #23 CGC 4.5 (press to 5.0 - 5.5)

Rawhide Kid #133 CGC 5.0 (press to 5.5)

The Rawhide and Chamber were both very marginal candidates. I think my evaluations may have been liberal. The Weird Wonder Tales was much nicer. There were some very light vertical bends near the spine of the front cover that will determine how well it does. After it was finished, I felt that it may grade slightly lower than my first estimate, maybe 8.5 to 9.0. But still a nice upgrade for such a tough book.

Red Hook

Avengers #28 CGC 9.4 (no estimate)

I think Brad has mentioned this book on the boards before. There was a slight bump to the overhang from the CGC case that needed smoothing out. I don't think it had a shot at 9.6, but you never know.

Interesting that many of the participants seem to think that their books have not improved signigficantly in grade as a result of this process.

I think it's a good example of the fact that a large majority of books are not good pressing candidates.

Yes, this is absolutely true. The books submitted for this project certainly reflects that. Shadroch's comics are a good example. I thought the Spidey #100 was a great press candidate because the wave near the bottom edge was slight enough for pressing, but the Flash #177 had a massive fold through the middle, which I knew would never lie flat with a pressing. The Avengers #117 was in between these two books; it had several dents and stresses in the cover--enough to show the press results, but too many to completely remove. The book was originally in the 4.0 - 5.0 range, which is considerably lower than grades recommended for pressing.

I thought DM226's books were nice candidates. Those were sent off to CGC along with Darth's. Boomtown's were nice too, except for the Hanna Barbara and the Conan #9, which were both lower grade.

Matt himself has even used terminology to assign pressing as being restoration. On different occasions I have even quoted him.

I may be misreading this line, but just to clarify, pressing is sometimes used in conjunction with restoration, but that does not make pressing restoration. What was the quote I made?

Hey Collin, very nice. The Captain Marvel and Planet in particular should make big improvements. The Captain Marvel and Whiz will be finished and shipped first so you can get your feedback up.

Matt himself has even used terminology to assign pressing as being restoration. On different occasions I have even quoted him.

I may be misreading this line, but just to clarify, pressing is sometimes used in conjunction with restoration, but that does not make pressing restoration. What was the quote I made?

#1199389 is a post where I quote you saying that people assumed these actions were restoration before CGC came along.

But that's you giving us a version of history, which although is mildly interesting it's

not the big quote I was looking for.

The big quote is from you--> #1207924 - Tue Apr 25 2006 07:30 PM

And my pressings are better now than they've ever been.

Since pressing is part of the restoration process, are there any

people out there with restored comics that feel the book has deteriorated in any way?

Before you say that I am taking you out of context, well feel free to search

for the post number I provided above.

I then replied in that thread by quoting your comments as a mild public service.

Re: Guidelines for pressing participants [Re: restoman]

#1208239 - Tue Apr 25 2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since pressing is part of the restoration process, are there any ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Mica's response] Just quoting this snippet as I remember hearing over and over again from excitable

forum members on how it's not considered what you just said it is.[/response]

-------------

cool.gif I didn't dig this up to embarrass you, but you asked for me to clarify in my comments

to thecollector. Best wishes as always. flowerred.gif

Yes, this is absolutely true. The books submitted for this project certainly reflects that. Shadroch's comics are a good example. I thought the Spidey #100 was a great press candidate because the wave near the bottom edge was slight enough for pressing, but the Flash #177 had a massive fold through the middle, which I knew would never lie flat with a pressing. The Avengers #117 was in between these two books; it had several dents and stresses in the cover--enough to show the press results, but too many to completely remove. The book was originally in the 4.0 - 5.0 range, which is considerably lower than grades recommended for pressing.

I thought DM226's books were nice candidates. Those were sent off to CGC along with Darth's. Boomtown's were nice too, except for the Hanna Barbara and the Conan #9, which were both lower grade.

Matt,

I was surprised that the TWH #13 did not improve notably 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Comment?

thanks again,

David