• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you organize your collection?

96 posts in this topic

I have a small collection (like 1500 comics) and I was wondering how do you manage your collection:

Can you explain or/and add a picture? please include minis, ongoing series, one shot, the only comic that I have of that serie, etc... what happend when a serie changes names like adventures of superman and Superman v2???

Thanks,

I have legal size file cabinets with dividers in the middle. All the books are alphabetized by title, and follow the same organization as the Overstreet Guide. When a series changes like Adventures of Supes to Supes, I started the new title in the "S" section. I have the white plastic index cards for each letter of the alphabet.

This system works great for silver-modern books, however not for Golden. I have my GA books in CGC boxes for the graded, and magazine boxes for non graded.

I have legal size file cabinets with dividers in the middle. All the books are alphabetized by title, and follow the same organization as the Overstreet Guide. When a series changes like Adventures of Supes to Supes, I started the new title in the "S" section. I have the white plastic index cards for each letter of the alphabet.

This system works great for silver-modern books, however not for Golden. I have my GA books in CGC boxes for the graded, and magazine boxes for non graded.

That's not a bad idea 893scratchchin-thumb.gif How do you place them in the drawers? Are they laid one one side?

Myself, I keep all my ongoing titles in a series of long boxes, with dividers in alphabetical order. I don't recognize most title changes, for example I keep all "New X-Men" books in the "X-Men" series where they belong, and I am still filing Sensational Spidey under the original MK Spidey title.

My minis are kept in a short box. I also keey slabbed issues in short boxes and my key issue/most expensive books in another shorty. That way if there ever is a fire while I'm home - life or death I'm not leaving with my key issue box and slabbed box. insane.gif

Everything is in short boxes, because my back isn't as good as it used to be. I file everything alphabetically more or less except that a mini series featuring a specific character goes after that character's books. So, "Unstable Molecules" goes after "Fantastic Four" and "Emerald Dawn" goes after "Green Lantern." But I do like the idea of separating minis out. I have two tiers of books in my closet and the back tier can be difficult to get to.

Golden age, slabs, and better silver age up are in three short boxes in a different spot.

First, the closet itself:

Picture001.jpg

Second, the labels on the lids so I know what's in there:

Picture002.jpg

And yes, that is a set of Batman legos at the top of the first picture.

Very good topic.

My problem is due to the sheer volume of books coming in. I probably have about 40 long boxes with various Copper & Moderns. Seems like I'm adding 1 long box every month of different titles. Since I have them first by company and then alphabetically, it makes it really hard to keep moving them around every few months to get the new interspered with the old.

That being said, how has anyone combatted this problem? I've gotten to the point where I start the alphabetical listing over again in a new set of boxes. This sucks because I'll have Amazing Spider-man 200 through 500 in one box and 501 to 540 in another.

I'm thinking I should leave vast spaces in each long box. Just a waste of space though.

Pat

All in short boxes. All in Mylites + Halfbacks. With no particular order (but a complete mini or a complete arc of a title are stored together), because I keep that of where they are with an ID in my Excel sheet.

I don't store them in order because I think is a waste of space that I can't afford. Having 5 or 6 short boxes with less than half of comics inside, or have all my ongoings titles in short boxes (and then keep removing comic books for having them in order...) is not my thing.

there was a guy here who filed all comics in boxes as he bought them, an dkept records what was in each box. so the runs werent together sequentially, but he could find any book real quick anyway.

solves the re-ordering problem and the half filled box . I just hate when a run spills over into the next box, which then spills over to th enext one too, and on down the line.

there was a guy here who filed all comics in boxes as he bought them, an dkept records what was in each box. so the runs werent together sequentially, but he could find any book real quick anyway.

That's what I do. I keep track in Excel for what is in every box. And instead of having them as I bought, I store them as I read, so arcs are stored completed.

Mine are in several long boxes, titles scattered throughout...I really need to take a weekend and just organize away 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most of my modern stuff is in long boxes, my GA stuff is in short. I organize by company and then title. I keep similar series together, even if they aren't strickly alphabetical and make judgement calls where something like Groo gets files, as it has been published by many different companies.

Everything on shelves, alpha by title, regardless of whether they're mini-series or continuing titles. Slabbed books are in the wood chest, except for the expensive stuff, which lives at the bank...

stash1.jpg

stash2.jpg

stash3.jpg

Now that's an inspiring display! I have two shelves that my dad made for me and I keep my favorite stuff in those regardless of value. the rest of the stuff is in longboxes with series together however no longer alphabetical. i use comic collectorz to inventory them and have numbered each box and add that box designation to my inventory under the 'location' category

Everything on shelves, alpha by title, regardless of whether they're mini-series or continuing titles. Slabbed books are in the wood chest, except for the expensive stuff, which lives at the bank...

stash1.jpg

stash2.jpg

stash3.jpg

Where did you get your book cases for those? Please tell me you didn't have them custom made.

My problem is due to the sheer volume of books coming in. I probably have about 40 long boxes with various Copper & Moderns. Seems like I'm adding 1 long box every month of different titles. Since I have them first by company and then alphabetically, it makes it really hard to keep moving them around every few months to get the new interspered with the old.

Same "problema", I love to rearrange all my colection, but I don't have the time to do it. frown.gif

That's what I do. I keep track in Excel for what is in every box. And instead of having them as I bought, I store them as I read, so arcs are stored completed.

That means you have your comic outside many months? If a Invincible's Story Arc last 5 months, you have the invincible comics outside that long?

nice... really nice 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's not a bad idea 893scratchchin-thumb.gif How do you place them in the drawers? Are they laid one one side?

Myself, I keep all my ongoing titles in a series of long boxes, with dividers in alphabetical order. I don't recognize most title changes, for example I keep all "New X-Men" books in the "X-Men" series where they belong, and I am still filing Sensational Spidey under the original MK Spidey title.

My minis are kept in a short box. I also keey slabbed issues in short boxes and my key issue/most expensive books in another shorty. That way if there ever is a fire while I'm home - life or death I'm not leaving with my key issue box and slabbed box. insane.gif

I'll post pics Monday thumbsup2.gif