• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Wonderful books, all of them. I was really hoping to get the Mystery Men 3 in the last Clink auction - 7.5 with white pages. It went for below guide, but I didn't have the funds to get it (I think I was the underbidder).

I'm not sure if I posted this one, but I'm deliberating sending this to Matt N to press out the spine roll and to fix the bottom staple. If not for those two defects the book is gorgeous! My reasoning is that the spine roll isn't getting any better, and is probably putting tension on the top staple. I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

70222.jpg.fda29e2115a695538142103bcaea9a58.jpg

I'm not sure if I posted this one, but I'm deliberating sending this to Matt N to press out the spine roll and to fix the bottom staple. If not for those two defects the book is gorgeous! My reasoning is that the spine roll isn't getting any better, and is probably putting tension on the top staple. I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

Aw Dan, that is a GREAT-looking Weird #2! :applause:

I agree...in this instance I'd have no trouble with a bit of discreet restoration or "conservation". When a book's structural integrity is threatened just by opening it, IMO at that point it becomes easier to justify crossing the line of having work done to it. (I recently had Kenny press a GA Batman with a wicked spine roll where the cover was ready to jump right off the staples, and I couldn't be any happier with the results. Will post it sometime.)

Weird #2 is a great book, and perhaps the toughest of the run. I have what would be a pretty nice copy, except for the foxing and handwriting on the cover:

I knew I would regret not buying that copy!!! :pullhair:

Nice book :foryou:

i'm working on a book and would like to get a 300, or better yet, 600 dpi scan of that wonderful weird #2 cover. btw, do we know who the artist is? can someone send a scan to yoecomix(at)hotmail.com. you'd get a copy of the book and a thanks there-in. best, craig yoe

a few of my 30-some books:

http://yoe.com/wwd_books_adults.html

i'm working on a book and would like to get a 300, or better yet, 600 dpi scan of that wonderful weird #2 cover. btw, do we know who the artist is? can someone send a scan to yoecomix(at)hotmail.com. you'd get a copy of the book and a thanks there-in. best, craig yoe

Yo......Yoe!

Nice to see you posting here :hi:

Steve

I can send you a scan, I'll have to dig it out and scan it out of the mylar. The artist was Lou Fine.

I can send you a scan, I'll have to dig it out and scan it out of the mylar. The artist was Lou Fine.

Here is my 'copycat' version. Also I believe the cover is Joe Simon, not Lou Fine (Just as Weird 1 is Tuska, not Fine). Eisner and his folks were outta Fox over the Wonderman debacle. I think the last Fine covers were covered dated no later than April 1940.

My link on Fox info which I have posted before.

http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm

Also check this link to compare covers at that time with Weird 2

http://www.comicartville.com/foxcoverspg3.htm

70239.jpg.867aa811ff0e15274acc1e5fa160d0d6.jpg

Also I believe the cover is Joe Simon, not Lou Fine (Just as Weird 1 is Tuska, not Fine). Eisner and his folks were outta Fox over the Wonderman debacle. I think the last Fine covers were covered dated no later than April 1940.

It may not be Fine, but that can't be Simon. It's too rigid in form and tight in execution. I've never seen anything like that from Simon. The villain's robe, the girl's skeleton, the bad guy in the background, the translucent structure on the right - all scream Fine to me. Or at least one of his (many) mimics. Compare the bolts around the orb to the bolts around Dynamo's hand on Science 2 (Fine) vs. the gun on Science 4 (Simon).

Also I believe the cover is Joe Simon, not Lou Fine (Just as Weird 1 is Tuska, not Fine). Eisner and his folks were outta Fox over the Wonderman debacle. I think the last Fine covers were covered dated no later than April 1940.

It may not be Fine, but that can't be Simon. It's too rigid in form and tight in execution. I've never seen anything like that from Simon. The villain's robe, the girl's skeleton, the bad guy in the background, the translucent structure on the right - all scream Fine to me. Or at least one of his (many) mimics. Compare the bolts around the orb to the bolts around Dynamo's hand on Science 2 (Fine) vs. the gun on Science 4 (Simon).

then it is the only cover he did NOT do in May 1940- all the others were done by him.....the image of the man in Weird 2 may be tuskaesque....But I am relatively sure Fine was out of there by then.,.,.If it pastes here, here is a list i did some years ago....note that two month gap....

Also Mystery Men 6 is Tuska, not Fine ('straight from Tuska)

70248.jpg.68ba5171883fbae33c5e0aa0ff017959.jpg

Looking at the dates on the books in the Gerber guide, it doesn't appear that Weird Comics was on the stands any earlier than any other Fox books. However, what I might speculate is that as Weird was a new title at that time that Fox may have had the cover already drawn up by Fine in order to ensure that the second issue made it to the stands. Given Fox's legendary cheapness that may be a bit much to speculate, but I'm quite certain that Weird 2 is Lou Fine. (as another comparison, look at Mystery Men 9 with the alien skeleton's showing through their skin, a la the woman on Weird 2)

Interesting. Have you looked into whether or not Fine really drew the cover for Fantastic #4 also? That one never looked like Fine to me.

Me either :juggle:

FantaticFour4.jpg