• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Swiping....

Still is too crude for Fine and the timeline just does not work for me...but hey who knows....again Weird 1 and MM 6 were Fine covers until they got correctly attributed to Tuska.

Oh heck nice covers whoever did them....

Jon

Are you saying/thinking Hit #5 cover is not Fine?

Isn't the Scoop #2 cover by Sultan?

My point was that people swipe Lou Fine style. And that the Scoop 2 is an example of Sultan 'swiping' the cover concept from Hit 5. (which Fine may have swiped from others). However, it is the nature and quality of his artwork that some see "Fine elements" in the art of others. This all started with the question of who is the cover artist for Weird 2

jb

Swiping....

Still is too crude for Fine and the timeline just does not work for me...but hey who knows....again Weird 1 and MM 6 were Fine covers until they got correctly attributed to Tuska.

Jon

My point was that people swipe Lou Fine style. And that the Scoop 2 is an example of Sultan 'swiping' the cover concept from Hit 5. (which Fine may have swiped from others). However, it is the nature and quality of his artwork that some see "Fine elements" in the art of others. This all started with the question of who is the cover artist for Weird 2

jb

Sultan, to me, was the one that came the closest to emulating Fine. I know Sultan did Major Victory - did he also do the covers on the three issues of that title. They just don't have the same zip as other Sultan covers I have seen.

Swiping....

Jon

and for you here is my copy of WW4 ....jb

jb

Sultan, to me, was the one that came the closest to emulating Fine. I know Sultan did Major Victory - did he also do the covers on the three issues of that title. They just don't have the same zip as other Sultan covers I have seen.

Very, VERY nice web site. Great Stuff!!

Oh to have the tech knowledge and time. The books on the Fox article site are mine.....Here are two other ways to do quick collection of books.....bound volume of Black Terror 1-25 (i have others) and Planet 1-60. Not the same as separately, but cool to have all the covers...

70306.jpg.1af16325c2013a04a17868144e75902b.jpg

70309.jpg.c643df2c8065d95a87d324d96c1b6831.jpg

Also I believe the cover is Joe Simon, not Lou Fine (Just as Weird 1 is Tuska, not Fine). Eisner and his folks were outta Fox over the Wonderman debacle. I think the last Fine covers were covered dated no later than April 1940.

It may not be Fine, but that can't be Simon. It's too rigid in form and tight in execution. I've never seen anything like that from Simon. The villain's robe, the girl's skeleton, the bad guy in the background, the translucent structure on the right - all scream Fine to me. Or at least one of his (many) mimics. Compare the bolts around the orb to the bolts around Dynamo's hand on Science 2 (Fine) vs. the gun on Science 4 (Simon).

then it is the only cover he did NOT do in May 1940- all the others were done by him.....the image of the man in Weird 2 may be tuskaesque....But I am relatively sure Fine was out of there by then.,.,.If it pastes here, here is a list i did some years ago....note that two month gap....

Also Mystery Men 6 is Tuska, not Fine ('straight from Tuska)

Looked at this a bit more. I'm pretty sure Weird 2 is Lou Fine. I'm also pretty sure Wonderworld 6 is not Fine, probably Tuska.

Nice looking copy!

Who's the doughboy with the cape? Doesn't quite look like regulation military issue.

Looks like a fun issue. Nothing like a blood-drooling Nazi and story titles like "The Killers that Satan Hired".

71454.jpg