• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

not impossible to find, but damn near impossible to upgrade!

weird2.jpg

I can see why. Anyone who owns a copy of that one would be crazy to give it up.

I was happy this went through Hake's. I don't think I would have had a shot had it been Heritage.

weird%202_zpsyk3hxrll.jpg

Here's my contribution to the No. 2 party (CBCS 5.0/restored "slight"). One of my favorites. Via Heritage.

weird_comics2_ht7_300dpi_8q_zps7zytwqv8.jpg

In checking the census I noticed that there were none of these so I thought I would submit one to fill the gap so, "Highest graded example!", :roflmao:

x4nc5c.jpg

lots of low grade high census fox books; that 5.5 puts this high census book to shame.

mmen7.jpg

I am starting to think that this perceived huge chasm between the supposedly large quantity of early Fox books as opposed to the almost non-existent quantity of later Fox books is probably not as wide in reality as we might think.

In speaking with many long term collectors and quasi dealers, they all knew that early Fox books were tough to get and were worth a lot of money in any grade. When told about what was happening with the later Fox books, they all expressed surprise and said that they probably would not have considered slabbing a low grade later Fox book since they had not thought it to be a worthwhile process due to the perceived low valuation of these books.

Obviously these were collectors and quasi dealers not in the know, but probably more of them out there than the ones in the know. hm

I'm not a firm believer in the relative scarcity of the later books relative to the earlier. It's certainly true for some, but by no means all of them. I've had a number of the late number Fox books that now are reportedly scarce, but over my collecting lifetime have been relatively available. I've never felt compelled to pick them up because in all honesty I saw them more often than some of the earlier issues. Plus, no Lou Fine, etc.

+1

Excellent observation!

I also remember seeing lower grade copies of the later Fox books at comic conventions way back in the day, but would always pass on them as I was really more into the earlier Fox books with the better cover artwork. In addition, low grade copies were also priced relatively low in the guide (well under $100) and as a result, I thought why waste money when I could simply wait for nicer high grade copies to show up, which would also be a better fit in my collection. doh!

I still remembered speaking with Jon Berk at the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening back in '95 after he had just picked up the entire Church run of Mystery Men #1 to #31 (excluding #21 - #23 which was missing from the MH run). He told me that he was really interested only in MM 1 through MM 10, but Geppi and Overstreet had refused to break up the run. As a result, JB was forced to buy the entire run in order to get the books within the run that he really wanted. :censored:lol

Looking back now, it appears that Steve and Bob did a big favor to Jon by forcing him to pick up the entire run which is now apparently in big demand. especially when the later books from #24 to #31 went for only $770 a pop, which was probably a big number back then. :banana:

My experience mirrors others, back in the day I'd run across the later Fox books in low/mid-grade but they just didn't interest me as the art generally was weak (plus I'm definitely an "early" guy).

While they're probably scarce, I'd be surprised if these books hold the enormous price spikes we've seen of late.

Yeah I've been saying to others behind closed doors even though i'm a competetor for many of these late 41 early 42 Fox books i am curious as to whether they hold their respective value and only father time can give us that answer. Now i like em all, early and late, some more than others and with books like the Mystery Men and the Weird run some of the middle ones aren't nearly as interesting cover wise. Now a few have stated that they saw these later books more frequently than are being represented in the sales market of today and while that makes me extraordinarily excited to know there are more out there for us to snatch up i thought why not look at the census it couldn't hurt right? I think everyone can agree that the first and last 3 issues of Mystery Men all sport fantastic cover work at least that's my opinion I dig them all. I also know more people are going to get the earlier issues slabbed because they are simply early issues but with that taken into account we know these later books are bringing big money right NOW and i think every dealer in the country knows that as well. I would suspect a jump in census a bit but haven't seen it. I know some say well why would they grade a book that's a 2.0 anyways and i think when you look at the census toppers like BPs beauty of a #7 they are all worth a resto check if selling on the open market if nothing else for buyer confidence...that being said a few #s

Mystery Men CGC

# 1 - 25 slabbed copies

# 2 - 15 slabbed copies

# 3 - 26 slabbed copies

#29- 2 slabbed copies

#30- 1 slabbed copy

#31- 3 slabbed copies

I'm not saying they aren't out there in equal numbers i would love to pull up some past heritage sales data as well and will do so when i get a second just for fun. I also can't say i ever hunted through boxes for these that just didn't happen i'm still a noob and know my place haha!! Take it for what it's worth i guess but it will be interesting to see if these #s change with the continued HoT factor these books have. I hope they do go up and the prices down i sure would like more of em!!

In checking the census I noticed that there were none of these so I thought I would submit one to fill the gap so, "Highest graded example!", :roflmao:

x4nc5c.jpg

lots of low grade high census fox books; that 5.5 puts this high census book to shame.

mmen7.jpg

I am starting to think that this perceived huge chasm between the supposedly large quantity of early Fox books as opposed to the almost non-existent quantity of later Fox books is probably not as wide in reality as we might think.

In speaking with many long term collectors and quasi dealers, they all knew that early Fox books were tough to get and were worth a lot of money in any grade. When told about what was happening with the later Fox books, they all expressed surprise and said that they probably would not have considered slabbing a low grade later Fox book since they had not thought it to be a worthwhile process due to the perceived low valuation of these books.

Obviously these were collectors and quasi dealers not in the know, but probably more of them out there than the ones in the know. hm

Full disclosure in all honesty I some how missed this post by Parker before my previous post so that would help explain the low census numbers. Probably bc i was so enamored by all the cool books as usual in this thread so who can blame me!! Look Ma, more cool colorful shiny Fox books :D

I guess we shall see moving forward if this brings more copies to market, raw or slabbed.

I know I sold 2 high number WonderWorlds on the boards a few years ago, for something like $50 each and I had trouble selling them, I wound up lowering the price.

I sold an undercopy of Mystery Men 2, for $250? I think I lowered the price, don't remember..in 2011,

Now they were low grade, but it's amazing how things change in time;)

Now that I've looked at some of the things I've sold here, I'm getting queasy, lol.

It's impossible to guess;)

oh, man, it sure would go good with that little mystery men 1 upgrade i pulled off recently.