• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Well, since the condition guide price for this book is at only $258, I gues his name should really be comics4muchmuchmore! lol

Seriously though, since this appears to have been a no reserved auction, I guess the final price is really all about the bidders, as opposed to the seller himself. As a seller, sometimes you just need to have a bit of luck and just hope there are 2 really hungry buyers out there for your book when you get around to listing it. hm:wishluck:

Well, since the condition guide price for this book is at only $258, I gues his name should really be comics4muchmuchmore! lol

Seriously though, since this appears to have been a no reserved auction, I guess the final price is really all about the bidders, as opposed to the seller himself. As a seller, sometimes you just need to have a bit of luck and just hope there are 2 really hungry buyers out there for your book when you get around to listing it. hm:wishluck:

This has SOO not been my experience selling on eBay, even with desirable books :facepalm:

In checking the census I noticed that there were none of these so I thought I would submit one to fill the gap so, "Highest graded example!", :roflmao:

x4nc5c.jpg

That blows away my copy, that's for sure. Very nice! :applause:

This has SOO not been my experience selling on eBay, even with desirable books :facepalm:

Ebay auctions seem to be both where the deals can be had for buyers, and the big win can be had for sellers, and there is no way to tell ahead of time which way it could go.

In checking the census I noticed that there were none of these so I thought I would submit one to fill the gap so, "Highest graded example!", :roflmao:

x4nc5c.jpg

That blows away my copy, that's for sure. Very nice! :applause:

Well, a couple of the other Fox books I submitted were 1.8's so it looks more like the rest of my Fox collection.

x4nc5c.jpg

Well, if this is the only copy in the census, then I guess you could also say that it is the "Lowest Graded Copy" of Weird Comics #15. :gossip:;)

x4nc5c.jpg

lots of low grade high census fox books; that 5.5 puts this high census book to shame.

mmen7.jpg

I am starting to think that this perceived huge chasm between the supposedly large quantity of early Fox books as opposed to the almost non-existent quantity of later Fox books is probably not as wide in reality as we might think.

In speaking with many long term collectors and quasi dealers, they all knew that early Fox books were tough to get and were worth a lot of money in any grade. When told about what was happening with the later Fox books, they all expressed surprise and said that they probably would not have considered slabbing a low grade later Fox book since they had not thought it to be a worthwhile process due to the perceived low valuation of these books.

Obviously these were collectors and quasi dealers not in the know, but probably more of them out there than the ones in the know. hm

x4nc5c.jpg

Well, if this is the only copy in the census, then I guess you could also say that it is the "Lowest Graded Copy" of Weird Comics #15. :gossip:;)

That is a very funny comment!

And one sweet book!

x4nc5c.jpg

lots of low grade high census fox books; that 5.5 puts this high census book to shame.

mmen7.jpg

I am starting to think that this perceived huge chasm between the supposedly large quantity of early Fox books as opposed to the almost non-existent quantity of later Fox books is probably not as wide in reality as we might think.

In speaking with many long term collectors and quasi dealers, they all knew that early Fox books were tough to get and were worth a lot of money in any grade. When told about what was happening with the later Fox books, they all expressed surprise and said that they probably would not have considered slabbing a low grade later Fox book since they had not thought it to be a worthwhile process due to the perceived low valuation of these books.

Obviously these were collectors and quasi dealers not in the know, but probably more of them out there than the ones in the know. hm

Lou, those are interesting observations.

Is there any reason (other than CGC census and "word of mouth") to think that the later Fox books would have been in short supply? Lower print runs? Decline in popularity? Extra shabby paper quality?

I think there may be some validity to that theory for the majority of the books. You still see quite a few copies of mid run Fantastic for example but its been a couple years since I have seen a copy of 3 at auction. I do think many of the late numbered books suffered from lower print runs and/or poor distribution, I don't think Victor Fox was one for sticking with a title that didn't move in the numbers.

x4nc5c.jpg

mmen7.jpg

I'm not a firm believer in the relative scarcity of the later books relative to the earlier. It's certainly true for some, but by no means all of them. I've had a number of the late number Fox books that now are reportedly scarce, but over my collecting lifetime have been relatively available. I've never felt compelled to pick them up because in all honesty I saw them more often than some of the earlier issues. Plus, no Lou Fine, etc.

I think a more accurate representation of scarcity comes from going issue by issue. Weird 1 -- not hard to find. Weird 2 -- impossible.