• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

This just in! A long time in transit, but home at last, with Bert and George and Lou. :luhv:

Science_1_300dpi_6w_9q_zpsfymbqj35.jpg

Stunning book! Congratulations on the pick-up! :golfclap:

There is definitely one person who was not pleased with this book, and that is my wife! Her feelings can be summed up like this: :frustrated: and like this: :screwy:

Yes, but aren't all wives like that! :P

Believe me, she'll be really happy :) and elated :whee: when it comes time for you to sell it for much more money. (thumbs u

This just in! A long time in transit, but home at last, with Bert and George and Lou. :luhv:

Science_1_300dpi_6w_9q_zpsfymbqj35.jpg

Stunning book! Congratulations on the pick-up! :golfclap:

There is definitely one person who was not pleased with this book, and that is my wife! Her feelings can be summed up like this: :frustrated: and like this: :screwy:

Yes, but aren't all wives like that! :P

Believe me, she'll be really happy :) and elated :whee: when it comes time for you to sell it for much more money. (thumbs u

Dramatis personae

.....Me, in a hopeful tone, holding a slab of plastic.

.....Wife, in a skeptical tone, with arms folded and eyebrow raised.

Scene: A bedroom with faint odorous traces of aging pulp paper and a garish version of the 46th Edition of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide on a side table.

Wife standing over the shoulder of Me, sitting at a desk.

Me: "The cover's by Lou Fine!"

Wife: "Who's Lou Fine?"

Me: "One of the greatest artists of the early Golden Age of comics."

Wife: "Did he just do covers, or stories too?"

Me: "Well, he did some stories."

Wife: [silence]

Me: "His detailed line work was amazing, and his covers capture a lot of psychological tension."

Exit wife.

Fin

Ain't it the truth. Most every time I show my wife a cool book, I get the blank look and "yeah that's cool". It is great to have these boards for geeks like us who "get it"

Awesome book by the way. Every time I see this thread it makes me want more Foxes for the coop...

Thanks Robot Man. Definitely one of the new stars in my collection.

Yep, the boards are a good outlet for the geeks among us!

It's obvious I'm not alone in this experience; I've noticed there are entire board topics devoted to the "What does your spouse think about your comic book collection?" sort of thing...

Show her the Overstreet price guide to assure you didn't pay too much. :D

Strongly doubt this would work as it would only go to confirm her point that he had overpaid for the book since it was brought at what looks like more than 50% over the condition guide price. doh!

There is absolutely no point in even trying to explain to your wife that paying a premium for a comic book is actually a good deal. :slapfight:

My wife claims if she'd known I was going to develop this horrible addiction she would never have married me. She's happiest when she hears I've sold books. She doesn't understand the appeal of comics and that she doesn't really even know how to "read" them. She does think some of the covers are cool, so there is that.

My wife claims if she'd known I was going to develop this horrible addiction she would never have married me. She's happiest when she hears I've sold books. She doesn't understand the appeal of comics and that she doesn't really even know how to "read" them. She does think some of the covers are cool, so there is that.

I gave up poker for comics so my wife loves them :acclaim:

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

Posted already in the recent acquisition thread but lets face it...Its home is here!! Big shout out to the boardie who made this dream come true!! Thank you so much!!

29333922693_356ef96f74_b.jpg

Such a tough book. And that looks like a really sharp 3.0. Major congrats.

Wow! Congrats on getting a nice looking copy of an exceedingly rare funny book!! Just doesn't get any cooler than that when it comes to late Fox books.Way to go Gino.. (worship)

+1

Must have cost you a pretty penny considering what the raw low grade copy sold for on eBay a few weekends ago.

Gino: Are you after only the later Fox books are just Fox books in general, when they become available? hm

Congrats again on your latest pickup as it's going to look good in your rapidly growing Fox collection. :applause:

Thanks everyone!! and great question!! i've been quoted and known to be chasing the late 41 early 42 books as they are my favorite i won't lie but i would love to have em all especially the Fine books!! i mean who doesn't like a Lou Fine book?!! ;) Patenaude is my favorite though for some odd reason and hence what i'm chasing the most at the moment. Here is My humble Fox collection so far many of which as you will notice are the later hero books from the era I stated...nothing to write home about but definitely a fun journey of well thought out pick ups and most definitely a group of cherished rags to me at least :)

Blue Beetle #9

Blue Beetle #10

Blue Beetle #12 - cover only

The Eagle #1 - CGC 1.0

The Eagle #3

Fantastic Comics #20 - incomplete

The Green Mask v1 #6 - CGC 3.5

Mystery Men Comics #7 - complete missing cover

Mystery Men Comics #10 - CGC 1.0

Mystery Men Comics #27 - CGC 3.5

U.S Jones #2 - CGC 3.0

V-Comics #1 - CGC 2.0

Weird Comics #18

Weird Comics #20 - hand drawn cover (funky book but neat)

Wonderworld Comics #7 - cover only

Wonderworld Comics #13

Wonderworld Comics #15 - cover only

Wonderworld Comics #28

Wonderworld Comics #32 - CGC 1.0

Thanks everyone!! and great question!! i've been quoted and known to be chasing the late 41 early 42 books as they are my favorite i won't lie but i would love to have em all especially the Fine books!! i mean who doesn't like a Lou Fine book?!! ;) Patenaude is my favorite though for some odd reason and hence what i'm chasing the most at the moment. Here is My humble Fox collection so far many of which as you will notice are the later hero books from the era I stated...nothing to write home about but definitely a fun journey of well thought out pick ups and most definitely a group of cherished rags to me at least :)

Blue Beetle #9

Blue Beetle #10

Blue Beetle #12 - cover only

The Eagle #1 - CGC 1.0

The Eagle #3

Fantastic Comics #20 - incomplete

The Green Mask v1 #6 - CGC 3.5

Mystery Men Comics #7 - complete missing cover

Mystery Men Comics #10 - CGC 1.0

Mystery Men Comics #27 - CGC 3.5

U.S Jones #2 - CGC 3.0

V-Comics #1 - CGC 2.0

Weird Comics #18

Weird Comics #20 - hand drawn cover (funky book but neat)

Wonderworld Comics #7 - cover only

Wonderworld Comics #13

Wonderworld Comics #15 - cover only

Wonderworld Comics #28

Wonderworld Comics #32 - CGC 1.0

Gino, that's an awesome array of Foxes!

I love that US Jones -- we never did figure out the deal with all those gas masks. My guess -- a traveling salesman trying to reach his monthly quota.