• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

I firmly believe that if Crack, Smash, and Police Comics had covers drawn by the interior artists instead of Fox then they would be some of the most collected and valuable comics of the golden age.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:39 PM, MrBedrock said:

I firmly believe that if Crack, Smash, and Police Comics had covers drawn by the interior artists instead of Fox then they would be some of the most collected and valuable comics of the golden age.

+1

Some of Fox's Quality covers are fine, but none are great.  All of Fine's Fox covers are quality, and some are great.

On 4/5/2023 at 4:52 PM, adamstrange said:

+1

Some of Fox's Quality covers are fine, but none are great.  All of Fine's Fox covers are quality, and some are great.

Nice wordplay!

On 4/5/2023 at 2:39 PM, MrBedrock said:

So, are you saying that Fox is the culprit and the main reason why Police Comics 1 has not really kept pace with a lot of the other GA first issues:  :(

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/police-comics-1-mile-high-pedigree-quality-1941-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7087-91291.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 Mile High pedigree (Quality, 1941) CGC NM 9.4 White pages....

Especially since Police Comics 1 is a key GA book featuring the first appearance and origin of Plastic Man who is still around to this day and also Phantom Lady who goes on to become much more famous after moving to Fox Publications with the GGA artwork being handled by Matt Baker. :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/5/2023 at 2:52 PM, adamstrange said:

Yet I feel some of Fine's Quality covers are still seemingly underappreciated and hence undervalued relative to his Fox covers, examples being:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/national-comics-7-mile-high-pedigree-quality-1941-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/823-41352.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, National Comics #7 Mile High pedigree (Quality, 1941) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages. ...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/hit-comics-1-mile-high-pedigree-quality-1940-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7158-91059.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Hit Comics #1 Mile High Pedigree (Quality, 1940) CGC VF/NM 9.0 White pages....

Absolutely love the detailed artwork on these two covers and I personally feel measures right up there with some of his more recognized and sought after classic covers over at Fox.  

On 4/5/2023 at 2:30 PM, MrBedrock said:

Let's vote!

These have his covers and Lou Fine Black Condor stories...

crack11.jpg

crack12.jpg

crack14.jpg

crack16.jpg

crack17.jpg

crack19.jpg

crack21.jpg

crack22.jpg

crack23.jpg

crack24.jpg

On 4/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, MrBedrock said:

These have Lou Fine covers but no interior stories...

hit02.jpg

hit03.jpg

hit04.jpg

hit05.jpg

hit06.jpg

hit08.jpg

hit12.jpg

hit13.jpg

hit14.jpg

Good god man! Give us a warning next time! It’s not healthy to stare directly into the sun. 

On 4/5/2023 at 10:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Yet I feel some of Fine's Quality covers are still seemingly underappreciated and hence undervalued relative to his Fox covers, examples being:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/national-comics-7-mile-high-pedigree-quality-1941-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/823-41352.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, National Comics #7 Mile High pedigree (Quality, 1941) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages. ...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/hit-comics-1-mile-high-pedigree-quality-1940-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7158-91059.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Hit Comics #1 Mile High Pedigree (Quality, 1940) CGC VF/NM 9.0 White pages....

Absolutely love the detailed artwork on these two covers and I personally feel measures right up there with some of his more recognized and sought after classic covers over at Fox.  

No doubt. One major separator IMO is a sexy babe on the cover. 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:11 PM, Professor K said:

I know! Shooting a harmless old man in the back like that. 

The notable thing about the Dr. Mortal stories in Weird Comics is that the young woman that Dr. Mortal keeps capturing and tying up and experimenting on is actually his niece. I tend to think some family therapy might have been the way to go?

On 5/26/2023 at 10:36 AM, Point Five said:

The notable thing about the Dr. Mortal stories in Weird Comics is that the young woman that Dr. Mortal keeps capturing and tying up and experimenting on is actually his niece. I tend to think some family therapy might have been the way to go?

Oh now I gotta go read it. 

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=28024

Not bad, monster got loose but they killed it. Dr. Mortal got taken to headquarters to answer some questions. 

Great pickups, Jared.  MM 9 is one of my favorites as well, the aliens remind me of Squid Head from Star Wars.  Fantastic 4 also has Star Wars vibes with the closing wall trap.  And of course the interiors are top notch as well, with the Samson giant robot story featured on the cover of #3, TWO Fletcher Hanks stories, and more odd tales.  Well worth checking out on comicbookplus!  Gotta love Fox books!