• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know eBayer "jerrybyrnes"? Added details of emails...

77 posts in this topic

Not to beat a dead horse here, but his auction didn't say he wouldn't accept returns. In fact, his response stated returns were obvious. Again, I concur I should have sent a message prior to bidding, but if stating a return would be made if the auction wasn't as described is obvious (per Jerry), what's the big deal?

OK, this is all silly over a cheap bronze comic, but what if this were a valuable comic in the thousands? Yes, I would never bid on an expensive comic without communicating prior to bidding, but I still believe he has a contract with me which he broke.

V/R,

Mike

P/S. I do appreciate the feedback. One issue with emails is it's easy to be misread one way or the other, especially when you don't know the other person.

I'm confused, why am I at fault here? I'm interested as I don't think I did anything other than be a be blunt.

He had no return policy listed, I paid him right away, and I simply stated I would return the comic if not as described? How am I at fault? I've got perfect feedback on eBay, and I've purchased from a number of board members with never a problem. Is it wrong to state the obvious about a return? How many of you have been burned by overgraded raw books?

V/R,

Mike

Mike, you should lay your fears BEFORE you bid on an auction. If you were unsure about the grade then you should have contacted him and discussed it or not placed a bid. Furthermore to then go ahead and demand a return with your payment even though that seller doesn't have a return policy is strange to say the least. Again you should have discussed this before you bid. If the seller doesn't have a return policy you can't force him to unless there was serious foul play. If you received it and it didn't meet expectations, fine go ahead and take it up with the seller. Doing that with even before you have received the book would leave me with a bad taste in the mouth and i wouldn't want to deal with either.

I agree I was a bit blunt, but I paid very quickly. My perfect feedback should at least have gotten him to relax a bit. Also, anyone selling raw books should be ready to accept returns if not as described. I started adding my return message after an auction noted no returns. I just want to make sure I won't keep a piece of [embarrassing lack of self control] book if it's not as described. I absolutely don't think I was being belligerant. He went way over the edge on this. I've taken a number of negotiating courses and am a big fan of Fisher's "Getting to Yes." I just want things to be reasonable and fair to both sides. He was/is not reasonable.

I think I'm going to give him a negative and just see how it goes.

V/R,

Mike

welcome to my blocked bidder list

I had a bad experience with him, wihout going into detail, just to say there is no flexability with him at all. I did not leave him neg. feedback, and he did not leave me neg. feedback, and I never did get about $43 worth of books I did pay for. If you want, PM me, and I will tell you exactly.

You paid $43 for books you never got and you didn't leave a negative? Did you get a refund?

insane.gifscrewy.gif

Send me $43 and I won't send you some NM beauties . . . insane.gif

I agree I was a bit blunt, but I paid very quickly. My perfect feedback should at least have gotten him to relax a bit. Also, anyone selling raw books should be ready to accept returns if not as described. I started adding my return message after an auction noted no returns. I just want to make sure I won't keep a piece of [embarrassing lack of self control] book if it's not as described. I absolutely don't think I was being belligerant. He went way over the edge on this. I've taken a number of negotiating courses and am a big fan of Fisher's "Getting to Yes." I just want things to be reasonable and fair to both sides. He was/is not reasonable.

V/R,

Mike

Stromm, meet Mike.

Mike, meet Stromm.

Both nice guys, now kiss and make up insane.gif

I have to go with the seller on this one also. He interpreted your comment as a threat, whether or not you meant it as a threat is irrelevent. If I felt a buyer was threatening me without cause, and you certainly didn't have cause, I wouldn't want to deal with them either. Giving him a neg over this is unfair in my opinion. I also agree with Banner that it's not up to you to set a return policy for sellers. I know this wasn't the case here because this guy didn't have one listed, but if someone says no returns and you're uncomforatble with that then don't bid. I don't see what gives you the right to dictate to the seller that he has to take a return from you when he clearly states no returns.

V/R,

Mike

Well OK. Perhaps I am not as clean on this one as I thought I was/am. Anyway, I've dealt with lots of folks on the boards with no problems.

V/R,

Mike

I have to go with the seller on this one also. He interpreted your comment as a threat, whether or not you meant it as a threat is irrelevent. If I felt a buyer was threatening me without cause, and you certainly didn't have cause, I wouldn't want to deal with them either. Giving him a neg over this is unfair in my opinion. I also agree with Banner that it's not up to you to set a return policy for sellers. I know this wasn't the case here because this guy didn't have one listed, but if someone says no returns and you're uncomforatble with that then don't bid. I don't see what gives you the right to dictate to the seller that he has to take a return from you when he clearly states no returns.

OK, wonders never cease.... tongue.gif

I'm 100% in agreement with this. thumbsup2.gif

If the auction states no returns, then I always ask in advance if I can. If the seller says no, then I don't bid. Honestly folks, I have been buying mostly and selling a few items on eBay for years, and I've never had a problem like this. I appreciate you all being candid, and I see now that my bluntness made this go this way. If Jerry had simply asked why I made the comment, I suppose we could have worked this out.

I will let this one go and not give a neg. Thanks for the forum feedback!

V/R,

Mike

I had a bad experience with him, wihout going into detail, just to say there is no flexability with him at all. I did not leave him neg. feedback, and he did not leave me neg. feedback, and I never did get about $43 worth of books I did pay for. If you want, PM me, and I will tell you exactly.

You paid $43 for books you never got and you didn't leave a negative? Did you get a refund?

insane.gifscrewy.gif

Send me $43 and I won't send you some NM beauties . . . insane.gif

Hell, I would not send him NM/Ms! Can't do much better than that!

I stated in my PayPal comment that I would return the raw comic if not as described

Had I been the seller, I would have sent you this:

No problem. But if the comic is better than described...you owe me more money. poke2.gif

Where it went from there would depend on your response. grin.gif

I'll toss my 2c in the ring, or throw in my hat and mix a few more metaphors if you will. First it would seem the whole situation would have been avoided with an email prior to auction close inquiring about return privileges. Second, being a seller, if someone emailed me a payment with note saying "I will return a raw comic if it is not as described" depending on my mood at the time I might WANT to snap back and say "Fine, I'll just take my toys and go home". However, I have learned great wisdom from reading and contributing on these boards and have gleaned the ultimate truth of all sellers....

EBAY SELLERS MAKE MONEY BY SELLING STUFF

Armed with that knowledge in mind, even if Mike may have been out of line with his note, Jerry is defeating his purpose for listing the book in the first place, which is to sell it. Sometimes, the "picky" customers (or rather, the customers that want to get what they pay for) become some of your best and most loyal customers when you gain their trust and respect.

Overall I would say it might benefit Mike to soften his approach somehow and Jerry would be a richer man if he would learn to take a step back, take a deep breath, and walk away from the issue for a few minutes then address the situation with a clear and calm attitude.

Quite frankly, I think this entire thread is much ado about nothing. OK, maybe Mike shouldn't have added that line with his payment about returning the comic if not as described. Maybe he should have taken a completely different tack with the seller when the seller responded to him. But big deal. I think the seller is guilty of overreacting as well to something that was a pretty mild comment. And at the end of the day, Mike wound up not getting some common bronze age comic book.

And now people are going to put him on their blocked bidder lists because he mentioned this on the forum? 27_laughing.gif Ridiculous.

OK, here's the message I just sent Jerry. Again, thanks for your inputs on this. I need to be more careful in how I handle raw auctions in the future, and being in a hurry is no excuse.

V/R,

Mike

P.S. Have a great 4th of July in the great and blessed country of ours!

Jerry,

I'm not sure why this got to be so messed up, but I will do whatever you want to do. I asked a friend or two their opinion, and they agreed with you that my bluntness with my original message probably caused the problem here. I was only blunt as I was in a hurry and out of town. I still feel my perfect feedback should have reduced your concerns, but alas it did not. Also, I should have emailed you ahead of time, but again, I was out of town and only had a minute to check on eBay stuff--my bad.

I would still like to buy this comic, and I would think you would too given it's way overbid based on its value. However, I will back off and find someone else who wants my green if you still don't want to carry this through. In my eBay experience which isn't as impressive as your's, I have never had a problem like this before. Sorry for the hassle, and best of luck to you in your future auctions.

God bless and have a wonderful 4th of July.

V/R,

Mike

I would still like to buy this comic, and I would think you would too given it's way overbid based on its value

Now you're accusing him of selling overpriced junk!

poke2.gif

You guys are tough! It's a bloody MT 20...is it worth even $5?!

V/R,

Mike

Quite frankly, I think this entire thread is much ado about nothing.

You've just described 95% of the threads on this board. I think this boils down to a buyer best practice:

• Contact seller with any questions BEFORE you bid.
  • Treat others as you'd have others treat you.

Mike: my humble and modest take on this conundrum is that your email woulda' scared even the best to wet their pants, but the buyer is always right no matter what. This is the professionalism all sellers should have. You should have also emailed the short fused basttard before bidding. I have concluded one thing from analyzing his emails to you. He didn't successfully complete the phallic stage of his development. Heck at least that's what Freud would say. BTW, what kinda' name is Jerry Byrnes? I think I crossed it once in comic book or old 40s detective flick?

What's my view? Maybe I'm misreading this but...............

My message was very short when I paid (within 24 hours of the win) via PayPal: Note: Please package the comic securely and safely. I will return for refund if not as described.

Let me understand. Your feedback of slightly over 100 comments was perfect so far (and felt that the seller should have no doubts about your credibility) yet you felt the need to let a seller with 1650 plus feedbacks and an almost perfect record that you will return his book if it is not as described (or your standards?).

I'm sure you also know it's impossible to grade a comic accurately by a scan for a buyer like myself.

What does that mean? Are you syaing that Jerry can "rip off" many E-Bay customers with his 1600 plus feedbacks but you know how to grade?

You offerred an item in an auction and I won. I suppose you don't care about the contract you're breaking.

The rhetoric is escalating. This seem like a low percentage successful transaction.

I just don't understand the attitudes of some who sell on eBay. How about treating people fairly and respectfully

Not everyone who sells on e-Bay does this for a livelihood. I love to buy and sell comics (however the above e-mails is why I only sell CGC books). I have dealt with easier customers as well as some whom are a bit difficult.

If I receive E-mails that make me leery of whom I am dealing with, I try to discourage those buyers from purchaing the books. In addition I will often put them on a blocked bidder list. In general, I try to only buy and sell from those whom I have had satisfactory dealings with. If I lose customers, It means little to me. This isn't my profession (I continue to be amazed at what I believe is the stupidity of professional sellers who annoy customers over relatively small sums or their lack of courtesy). Pleasant dealings are my most important consideration.

My issue with Jerry was in his first response. He was agitated with your "threat" and closed the door quickly to the transaction. I suspect that he evaluated the size of the transaction coupled with his perceived liklihood of a problem, and seemed to close the door to finishing the transaction. I would have replied to your message with your payment as follows:

"I read that you have some concerns with the grading on the book. If after receiving the book you don't believe the book is in the stated condition you are welcome to return the book. However, you will be responsible for the return freight and I must receive the book in the original condition". My wife found issue with my response and said. "How many times do I wish a 9.6 book to be handled?

I try to avoid poor feedack for a relatively small amount of money so some accomodation would have been found but I would have left you to make the decision whether the transaction would have been concluded. As a notivating factor you would have a small monetary stake in the final outcome (the return freight).

Quite frankly, I think this entire thread is much ado about nothing. OK, maybe Mike shouldn't have added that line with his payment about returning the comic if not as described. Maybe he should have taken a completely different tack with the seller when the seller responded to him. But big deal. I think the seller is guilty of overreacting as well to something that was a pretty mild comment. And at the end of the day, Mike wound up not getting some common bronze age comic book.

And now people are going to put him on their blocked bidder lists because he mentioned this on the forum? 27_laughing.gif Ridiculous.

Somewhere it must be raining toads, cause I agree here. grin.gif

If I was the seller, my response would have went about like this:

"Hi Mike,

Sure no problem, I think you will be very pleased with this book as it's very nice.

Thanks again and I look forward to future transactions."

First thing I've learned when selling anything is to describe the item accurately and disclose any defects (when you think you are selling a collectible or not). If you are confident in your product and it's description, you can feel a lot less threatened by a message like Mike's. I've sold lots of toys on eBay and have ran into some real picky condition freaks and have had some intersting requests.

One guy after winning a monopoly game requested it be double boxed and packed securely because he was a collector. Well, I always wrap my items in bubble wrap and pack securely, but I don't normally double box my games, but rather than worry and get defensive about a picky collector, I packed it securely, double boxed with extra packing inbetween the boxes and sent him his item. I got a great feedback when he recieved it and a potential repeat customer.

My point is, that while Mike's statement may have been a bit blunt, it should not have been a deal killer. Especially with the follow up emails stating an interest in still recieving the book.

The seller also has no legs to leave a strike to the buyer as it was his choice to refund the Paypal payment. In fact, you may be able to give him a seller's strike for not completing the transaction. If he starts that process of filing a non-paying bidder report on you, make sure you respond appropriately.

It's really too bad it has come to this over such a small $$ item. It would have seemed the after auction communication could have rectified the situation, Hopefully, you guys can work out an amicable end to this and bury the hatchet. Good luck.