• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flash Comics

71 posts in this topic

Hi, All,

I've been collecting books for years but am just getting to a place in life financially where I can even think about collecting Golden Age. Anyway, Hawkman is my favorite character, so I've been checking out old Flash Comics (as some of you know). I would love to get my hands on a low grade copy of Flash Comics #37, which has a classic Hawkman and Hawkgirl cover. My question: How scarce is this issue!? (shrug) Does anyone on this board own one? I've been checking out all the stores people directed me to check, and it seems easier to find the earliest Flash issues than 37? Odd.

Scott

Shoot and I thought this would be an excuse to repost my hawkman covers. Well, I'll do it anyway. BTW no issue 37 but looking for a mid grade 9 myself.

flash7.jpg

flash11.jpg

flash13.jpg

Welcome to the boards. I also grew up with Hawkman as my favourite character (although he has now been usurped by Batman). I also have a few key flash comics. I always found the cover to be disconcerting as I never was able to work out how they could be running in mid air, but Moldoff certainly could draw great covers.

A lot of the Flash books can be difficult to find and #37 is no more harder or easier than other mid numbered books of this series. The census only shows 6 have been slabbed by CGC but that is pretty typical. I am sure you'll find one in time and it is really the thrill of the chase. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the replies.

Awesome covers, ft88! popcorn.gifI only have one Flash Comics issue so far, Flash Comics #91. I lucked into buying it and now I'm hooked on Golden Age. I'll have to pace myself, though. My wallet isn't that deep. Ha!

By the way, Mushroom. I like your icon!

Shoot and I thought this would be an excuse to repost my hawkman covers. Well, I'll do it anyway. BTW no issue 37 but looking for a mid grade 9 myself.

flash7.jpg

flash11.jpg

flash13.jpg

Stunning, stunning covers. Shelly still seems underappreciated next to the Lou Fines and Bill Everetts of the world, but these hold their own against anyone. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

uote]Thanks for the replies.

Awesome covers, ft88! popcorn.gifI only have one Flash Comics issue so far, Flash Comics #91. I lucked into buying it and now I'm hooked on Golden Age. I'll have to pace myself, though. My wallet isn't that deep. Ha!

By the way, Mushroom. I like your icon!

#91 is a great cover. Oksner is a master of keeping things simple but intriguing. Great book to start with. All the Flash books from the late 80's to 104 are difficult to find in any decent condition let alone the PQ, which on the ones that I have seen always seem to be cream to tan.

I have had this icon for a few years now, it goes with the 60's imagery that I like. Plus if I am going to be fed bulls*h*i*t I may as well be off the planet as well. 27_laughing.gif

Hi, All,

I've been collecting books for years but am just getting to a place in life financially where I can even think about collecting Golden Age. Anyway, Hawkman is my favorite character, so I've been checking out old Flash Comics (as some of you know). I would love to get my hands on a low grade copy of Flash Comics #37, which has a classic Hawkman and Hawkgirl cover. My question: How scarce is this issue!? confused-smiley-013.gif Does anyone on this board own one? I've been checking out all the stores people directed me to check, and it seems easier to find the earliest Flash issues than 37? Odd.

Scott

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

You might check this link in case there are other GA dealers you have not yet gotten to.

GA Dealers

That should be a book that you'll be able to find, but in the GA world, the time it takes to find a book can be a lot longer than SA or BA. Over the next few months, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to find a low grade copy (vg/f) or below. For some GA books, it can be a few years before you are in the right spot, at the right time, with money in your pocket.

If you are looking for mid-grade or high-grade, the waiting can sometimes be a bit harder.

Are you looking for CGC copies only? If you were buying a raw copy, would you know how to check for restoration yourself?

Fauby, I recommend that you pick up a copy of Gerber's Photo-Journal Guide to Comics volumes 1&2. It has an index(ofter referred to as Gerber Index or Number) that gives an idea of the scarcity of a particular comic. Though it is dated information, it can be useful at times. Plus it lists out the covers(with pictures) for most of the GA Flash comics.

Hi, Adamstrange,

As for what I am looking for...I would like to buy raw books so I can read them. Then, I plan to send whatever Flash Comics I buy to CGC. The issue 91 I have is beat up but complete (except for a corner chunk of the cover), so I plan to send it. I know some folks only think it is worthwhile to send higher grade books, but I just have this desire to see any Flash Comics I get professionally graded.

Myself, I would love to have high grade Flash issues but just can't bring myself to spend the cash it would take, so I'm content to search for low grade stuff. I really am just looking for old Flash issues because Hawkman is my favorite character. I stick to the idea of collect what you like. I'm not too concerned about reselling because I doubt I will resell any Flash I buy. That is, unless I sell a low grade copy to help pay for a higher grade one down the line. Ha!

By the way, I've started reading up on how to submit to CGC. But, I don't quite understand the policy you have to go through someone else, such as a CGC member? What is the best thing to do, join the Society they have and then submit or find a registered dealer?

Hi, Adamstrange,

As for what I am looking for...I would like to buy raw books so I can read them. Then, I plan to send whatever Flash Comics I buy to CGC. The issue 91 I have is beat up but complete (except for a corner chunk of the cover), so I plan to send it. I know some folks only think it is worthwhile to send higher grade books, but I just have this desire to see any Flash Comics I get professionally graded.

Myself, I would love to have high grade Flash issues but just can't bring myself to spend the cash it would take, so I'm content to search for low grade stuff. I really am just looking for old Flash issues because Hawkman is my favorite character. I stick to the idea of collect what you like. I'm not too concerned about reselling because I doubt I will resell any Flash I buy. That is, unless I sell a low grade copy to help pay for a higher grade one down the line. Ha!

By the way, I've started reading up on how to submit to CGC. But, I don't quite understand the policy you have to go through someone else, such as a CGC member? What is the best thing to do, join the Society they have and then submit or find a registered dealer?

I asked about the restoration because many raw copies have restoration of one form or another and that ultimately factors into the value of the book. If you buy raw and then send them in for slabbing, make sure you buy from a reputable dealer that will allow a return if the book is restored. Only a few dealers are likely to offer this.

I let someone else speak about CGC submitting procedures.

Oh, and good luck on your quest!

A lot of the Flash books can be difficult to find and #37 is no more harder or easier than other mid numbered books of this series. The census only shows 6 have been slabbed by CGC but that is pretty typical. I am sure you'll find one in time and it is really the thrill of the chase. thumbsup2.gif

Fauby;

I would also agree with Mushroom's comments above.

The Gerber book indicates a Scarcity Index rating of 4 for the Flash #37. This rating indicates average scarcity with estimated copies of 1,000 to 2,000 copies in existence. No idea how valid these numbers would be, but from a relative point of view, it should have some validity.

Don't have the magazine in front of me, but a very early issue of CBM had an analysis of the relative scarcity and demand of Flash Comics. Don't remember anything special about the Flash #37. The usual suspects such as the high number Flash ended up as scarce with the only real surprise being issue #56 coming in as the scarcest.

BTW: Welcome to the boards. hi.gif

I use metropolis to submit, they offer a 20% discount with no strings attached (like giving your email or "signing up") There are others too. Just go tot there website and click on the the submit to CGC icon - its pretty straight forward.

Given your attitude towards your books I highly recommend you not have them graded. Just keep buying the G/VG type complete books for under $100 each and read 'em all day long. In terms of value, grading or even slight resotration who really cares what CGC thinks. Without even seeing your book it sounds like a Good unrestored. All better now.

Ed

Oh, I think I'll go ahead and send in any Flash Comics I have and any others I obtain. I've been thinking about submitting some books and I'd love to see some of my Hawkmans graded by CGC and protected. I have some nice Silver Age books I'd like to send in, too.

By the way, thanks for the info on the scarcity of 37. Glad to know it shouldn't be too hard to find. I'll just keep my eyes open! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's my only Flash Comics with a Hawkman cover (other than issue #2, which someone posted earlier in this thread). Harley Yee threw it into a deal I was making with him at the Chicago Con a couple of years ago (for the All-American 61 I've posted a few times) because I had mentioned I liked the cover. Built some goodwill with me and I'm sure it didn't cost him much of anything.

flash71.jpg