• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego tale of woe

137 posts in this topic

You don't have to look any further than he likes to call people cowards while hiding behind an alias and refusing to ever give his name. Kinda like the guy that challenged you to a fight in grade school and then ran and hid in the bushes.

See what I mean, he acts all tough and threatening here and in PMs, yet I never hear a word to my further inquiries. Strange, very strange. 27_laughing.gif

You don't have to look any further than he likes to call people cowards while hiding behind an alias and refusing to ever give his name. Kinda like the guy that challenged you to a fight in grade school and then ran and hid in the bushes.

See what I mean, he acts all tough and threatening here and in PMs, yet I never hear a word to my further inquiries. Strange, very strange. 27_laughing.gif

Chris appears in public and is very easy to get a hold of. Unlike you, who refuses to appear in person anywhere, and who also refuses to disclose your real name or the address of your parents' basement where you reside.

When I met Steve Borock in SD, I forgot to ask him what pictures you must have of him that has caused CGC to permit you to remain on the boards when every other poster who has shown your sociopathic tendencies has long since been booted off.

When I met Steve Borock in SD, I forgot to ask him what pictures you must have of him that has caused CGC to permit you to remain on the boards when every other poster who has shown your sociopathic tendencies has long since been booted off.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Chris appears in public and is very easy to get a hold of.

I think some goofs are threatening and insulting me in an attempt to get me to post something that will get me booted from the forums, and I almost fell for it. foreheadslap.gif

I'm going to take the high road and apologize for any perceived (or real) threat of physical violence, as no matter how stupid or immature many of you are, or how many threats I endure, I cannot allow my anger management issues to flare up and disrupt the forum.

So keep laughing at me during the Forum Dinners, and then thank the Lord above that I'm not 18 and single, reading about it.

Thanks to everyone for their words of support, public and private. I appreciate it. And thanks to those who have contacted Rober Quijano...hopefully, he'll come around and Steve will get his piece back soon.

On a happier note, it was great to meet in person fellow collectors and board members Chris Caira, Brett Corbit, David Miller, Hari Naidu, Joseph Melchior, (who entrusted me with his incredible portfolio…probably before he heard the Quijano story), Marc Mokken, Gary Goodwin, Betsy Carroll (and hubby), Ken Danker, Richard Martines, Paul Nicholson, Joe Lewis and so many others as well as seeing again all those familiar faces from the past. Despite a crappy start, meeting everyone over the course of the show definitely turned it into an overall positive experience. Hope to see you guys again next year!

Hey Felix,

It was good to see you at the show. I was sorry to hear that this happened. Your a good guy and you don't deserve this mess so hopefully someone will persuade this guy to do the right thing and give the piece back. It is too bad he needs to be contacted by heavyweights and have pressure put on him to do the right thing. You would think if he was a good person he would have simply handed it over at first request (mistake explained) for his money back. You can tell me the story at Sacramento if you go.

-Chris

Felix is one of the great guys in this business. Went above and beyond the call of duty to try and make things right, for that I will always be indebted. As far as an update, a collector contacted me this week saying that he purchased the art from Rober just this week (so much for saying he flipped it at the show). I will keep eveyone updated as things progress. Once again, thanks to all who have chimed in.

Stephen

The fault does not lie with the person who bought the art. He paid the price asked by the person who was in charge of selling it. Period. The buyer is not obligated to share his personal knowledge of art and prices with the seller. This is why knowledge is power. He did'nt steal it. He bought it for the price that was asked by the person in charge of selling it.

The screw up was between the consigner and the dealer "friend". Think about this before the lynching party is rounded up. frown.gif

The fault does not lie with the person who bought the art. He paid the price asked by the person who was in charge of selling it. Period. The buyer is not obligated to share his personal knowledge of art and prices with the seller. This is why knowledge is power. He did'nt steal it. He bought it for the price that was asked by the person in charge of selling it.

The screw up was between the consigner and the dealer "friend". Think about this before the lynching party is rounded up. frown.gif

Spoken by a true nobleman...

That's an interesting opinion. Whilst my sympathies lie with Spider, the above reminds me that many dealers seek to buy collectibles at the lowest possible price, to turn around at the highest possible profit (low outlay/high returns).

There's one guy who buys art on ebay, who recently advised us that unless the seller knows his stuff (in those rare cases where the seller doesn't know the true values attached to the item/s he/she's auctioning off), he doesn't have any remorse about picking up art at a fraction of its true worth. Seller beware? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah,

But they found the buyer and explained they made a mistake. It wasn't a " we can get a few extra bucks from someone else mistake" It was a "Big" mistake. From what I understand they even offered some free stuff. Granted the buyer doesn't have to do anything but it seems like the nice thing to do would be to cut the seller some slack. If no one says anything, fine you got a deal but the guy choose to take advantage of the situation.

Am I mistaken or did I read in this thread that the buyer stated he sold it during the show and it turned out he sold it a week later?

Correct. We attempted to get the art back literally within an hour or so of the deal being done. I threw in a $4000 piece of art as a sign of good faith if he returned the art. He said the piece was sold (it wasn't) and wanted the $4000 piece of art and an additional $3000 in cash to get it back. I refused. The current owner told me he purchased it one week after San Diego ended. If he didn't want to do a deal with me that is fine, just don't lie to me. He now has no trust in my book.

where does "Do The Right Thing" fit in here? because as far as i can see it, this isn't a legal issue, it's a moral one

You're right, he didn't steal it. No more than a person who finds a wallet on the sidewalk and decides to keep it. Rober had very much a "finders keepers" attitude about the whole situation, even after Steve and I explained the screw-up and tried to placate his greed with what I felt was a very generous offer as a settlement.

Rober then went on to claim that he couldn't return the piece because he had already sold it during the first day at the show. Which made it all the more interesting when I saw him try to move it at another dealer's table on the last day of the show. And, I heard from other dealers that he claimed to them that he was willing to return it (again showing that his claim of having sold the piece earlier was an outright lie) but wouldn't because Steve had been "rude" to him.

Now it turns out he really sold it a week after the show.

Everyone can have their opinion about this sad tale, Rober's role in it, and whose fault it was. That's fine. But just remember that, ultimately, this is what took place: Rober Quijano took advantage of an honest mistake, lied about it, and profited from it. End of story.

I think I am going to vomit.

When I read this and I think of the fact that you are a so called businessman, I am really wondering how dealers continue to support your shows. If this was you on the receiving end of such a mistake, like if someone was selling your items, then I think you would look at it differently.

True, the scumbag that bought the piece technically didn't do anything wrong, but there is still the moral obligation that obviously is lacking in him and yourself.

There are standards of human behavior and there are unwritten "rules" of simple conduct that while aren't really "breaking the law" if you don't do them, they are still wrong. Finding the wallet on the sidewalk is a good analogy.

Stephen was more than willing to compenstate him quite handsomely for the mistake. He wasn't looking for something for nothing. He gave full discloser about what had happened and this guy , with his arrogance securely in place, stood there with a smirk and said " oh well...can't help you.....unless you throw in more on top of whatelse you're offering"......That's BULLS---- !!!

Whether it was mistake on the part of the seller or cosigner isn't the issue. Like Felix said, there was a big mistake, Rober had the chance to fix it and still come out ahead and chose not to....end of story...