• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The August Heritage Auction

312 posts in this topic

Sorry, you're absolutely right. I bid in the last hour of the internet bidding, and hope that noone outbids me on the floor the next day.

Of course, some auctions are internet only, which is always nicer.

So you can bid live? I thought the internet bidding was cut off before the live auction. Or do you call? (Sorry, I'm a newb to Heritage auctions, but very excited about this one!)

People who bid frequently enough can be granted special status to be able to bid closer to the start of the auction, but the proxy bidding still ends prior to the start of live bidding for that day.

If you are new and really want something, I'd recommend arranging phone bidding. The downside to this is that you must make decisions very quickly and thus can easily pass or overspend in the heat of the moment.

So you can bid live? I thought the internet bidding was cut off before the live auction. Or do you call? (Sorry, I'm a newb to Heritage auctions, but very excited about this one!)

People who bid frequently enough can be granted special status to be able to bid closer to the start of the auction, but the proxy bidding still ends prior to the start of live bidding for that day.

If you are new and really want something, I'd recommend arranging phone bidding. The downside to this is that you must make decisions very quickly and thus can easily pass or overspend in the heat of the moment.

I was considering phone bidding...is it that hectic? Is it best to just go in with a set price and not go over it? Rather than try and think on the fly?

I was considering phone bidding...is it that hectic? Is it best to just go in with a set price and not go over it? Rather than try and think on the fly?

Quite a few people prefer that -- figure out your max, bid that, and what happens, happens.

Quite a few people prefer that -- figure out your max, bid that, and what happens, happens.

That's how I've done it in the past. # of Heritage books won by me? 0. I've been outbid on the floor at least a dozen times, losing those books for only $50 more than my internet bid. frown.gif I hate that.

That's how I've done it in the past. # of Heritage books won by me? 0. I've been outbid on the floor at least a dozen times, losing those books for only $50 more than my internet bid. frown.gif I hate that.

Bid higher? tongue.gif

Seriously, if you didn't want to bid higher beforehand, when you had time to clearly think through your interest in the book, why would you want to bid even higher under pressure?

Bid higher? tongue.gif

Seriously, if you didn't want to bid higher beforehand, when you had time to clearly think through your interest in the book, why would you want to bid even higher under pressure?

Yeah, that's the point. I mean, I guess my if my maximum, pre-floor bid wasn't high enough, I probably shouldn't tempt myself to go higher during the floor auction...

Bid higher? tongue.gif

Yeah, that's the point. I mean, I guess my if my maximum, pre-floor bid wasn't high enough, I probably shouldn't tempt myself to go higher during the floor auction...

Out of curiosity, generally how many people are physically present on the floor for the Heritage auctions? And are there mainly dealers or also a good number of collectors? Are some people phone bidding throughout the entire auctions? Or do people call / get called to be on for specific auctions. From the "livecast", the lots go by fairly quickly.

Bid higher? tongue.gif

Out of curiosity, generally how many people are physically present on the floor for the Heritage auctions? And are there mainly dealers or also a good number of collectors? Are some people phone bidding throughout the entire auctions? Or do people call / get called to be on for specific auctions. From the "livecast", the lots go by fairly quickly.

I'm not really sure. I know there are quite a few dealers that attend. I know some people get Heritage to call them right before specific auctions so they can bid on the floor...

Bid higher? tongue.gif

Depends on the venue and varies from session to session. There's usually more if it's held at a Con. I've seen sessions with 40 or more attendees but I've not been to any in a while. Some people bid on enough lots that they are on the phone through much of a session. Others call in about a book or two.

Gearing up for a big purchase? poke2.gif

Depends on the venue and varies from session to session. There's usually more if it's held at a Con. I've seen sessions with 40 or more attendees but I've not been to any in a while. Some people bid on enough lots that they are on the phone through much of a session. Others call in about a book or two.

Thanks. I just wanted to get a mental picture of the process and of the extent of the floor involvement / activity.

Gearing up for a big purchase? poke2.gif

27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

Plus, I have yet to see any Dotty Dripple 22, Daisy and her Pups 25, Love Experiences 12, Happy Rabbit 47, Sparkle 22, United 21, Sweethearts 109, Real Love 46, Lovers 32, Life Story 36, Georgie 35 ... at Heritage.

Yup, the above list is sadly (?) the bottom part ($-wise) of my want list. I'll get little excitement from crossing them off my list and yet I'll have to search high and low to find the copy I want. It's as tough down here as it is up there looking for mainstream titles in HG.

I have a dilemma. I'm coming into some money in a month or so. I would usually wait to spend it, but my Holy Grails of Holy Grails is in this auction, even higher grade than I have been planning. I want to splurge on myself, and the 6 month payment plan will buy me the time I need (would pay it off in full in 2-4 weeks). I don't have a card with enough credit to cover it, or else I would charge it and pay the card off. I was approved for the 6 month payment plan, but it has to be a minimum of $2500 to qualify. I'm almost positive it will go for more (the last time it sold, it went for a little more), but I would hate to bid, and win it for $2400, and not be able to use the payment plan. I don't think they'll wait a month for payment. Someone want to bid $2500 under me? smile.gif

Try following the live floor bidding on the internet, and you'll see that the live auctions go fast and furious. I've never set up phone bidding precisely because I don't want to get tempted into making rash decisions (I don't like getting outbid on books I want).

I was approved for the 6 month payment plan, but it has to be a minimum of $2500 to qualify. I'm almost positive it will go for more (the last time it sold, it went for a little more), but I would hate to bid, and win it for $2400, and not be able to use the payment plan. I don't think they'll wait a month for payment.

Give Marti Korver of Heritage a call, I'm sure they'll work with you on this, particularly if your final amount is close to $2400 and you're actually going to pay within 2-4 weeks. You might not even need to go on payment plan at all, which entails charging of interest. Just tell them you plan to pay in 2-4 weeks, and I'm sure if you can pay 30-50% right away, they'll be okay with the remainder being paid within 30 days without even charging you interest.

Bid higher? tongue.gif

Surprisingly, there's not very many people that shows up to these auctions at all.

They had one at the SD Con a few years ago and apparently only around 20 people showed up for the event, even though they had snacks and refreshments for anybody that showed up. I was told the number of Heritage employees was almost as high as the number of people that actually showed up for the auction. 893whatthe.gif

Can you believe a convention that can draw 100,000 people, but can only pull in less than 25 of this very same partisan crowd for what is really the major auction within this hobby. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

P.S.--We know Scrooge gets enjoyment out of crossing ANYTHING off his lists.

Let's put it that way ... nothing / noone will prevent me from talking about those cheapies for a couple of pages.