• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Eerie Publications Collection

411 posts in this topic

Blast it!! All I see on each post is

"Weird - Oct 1974, Vol.8 No.4 (Yes another V8#4)" .. the issue name and nothing else

No link or post or anything.. the couple of attachments "back page woman with legs cut off".. both of those show up.. but nothing else.. have the attachments been moved, were there any attachments..a link...anything?

I collected these for a couple of years and had the old v#1 issues of most .. up through the 1973's..

I remember the first one I bought as a kid (11) had mummies staking out a man over an anthill and the ants eating him!! GREAT STUFF for an 11 yr old mind!

Any help will be appreciated.. and also.. give me a list of your missing files.. I may have them..

The first draft of my Eerie index has now been posted at:

http://www.enjolrasworld.com/

Warning - it's huge.

Take a look and let me know what you think (and especially if you have any corrections/additions).

Naturally, it is already out of date as I found more info over the weekend. Jeffb has two of the 16 issues I'm missing and I'm working with him to add them to the index.

I also found sources for 5 more stories - one was Voodoo Doll, which was from a story in Mysterious Adventures #14 (don't have the info handy right now).

More important, however, is that I found a completely new source company and title - Fiction House's Planet Comics. Eerie's sci-fi titles reworked 4 stories from #72. I haven't found any others from that title, but I've only looked through about a dozen (I have a feeling if I go through all 73, that #72 will be the only one Eerie used).

Congratulations, awesome job!1 (worship)

Jeff

The first draft of my Eerie index has now been posted at:

http://www.enjolrasworld.com/

Warning - it's huge.

Take a look and let me know what you think (and especially if you have any corrections/additions).

Naturally, it is already out of date as I found more info over the weekend. Jeffb has two of the 16 issues I'm missing and I'm working with him to add them to the index.

I also found sources for 5 more stories - one was Voodoo Doll, which was from a story in Mysterious Adventures #14 (don't have the info handy right now).

More important, however, is that I found a completely new source company and title - Fiction House's Planet Comics. Eerie's sci-fi titles reworked 4 stories from #72. I haven't found any others from that title, but I've only looked through about a dozen (I have a feeling if I go through all 73, that #72 will be the only one Eerie used).

I have just posted the first update to my Eeerie Index (available at the same link as before).

This is a pretty big one.

I have enlisted the aid of Gene M. Broxson as a co-compiler and he was able to fill in a lot of the gaps.

Highlights of the update:

* All Eerie issues now have basic indexing info (no more "contents unknown").

* Added another 50-75 pre-code sources.

* The Ajax/Farrell info is now nearly complete as Gene had a complete set (one interesting note is that I found the first Ajax reprint I've come across that didn't come from one of their horror titles. This one came from Rocketman #1).

* I added some trivia lists at the end (i.e. most prolific artists, most commonly pillaged pre-code publishers, stories reprinted the most times, story titles reused the most times).

* The most interesting thing that I added is that The Thing in the Cellar is NOT an original story, as I previously indicated (at least not entirely original).

The story is actually an expansion of a one-page story by the same title that appeared in the June 1962 issue of Boy Illustrated - a magazine published by Chic Stone during his brief fling with magazine publishing. It folded after two issues.

Several years ago there was a conversation here about the origins of the Eerie Publications SF style covers and the possible sources. As far as I know no one actually found a direct match. Here is one:

The cover of Weird April 71 apparently IS the work of Johnny Bruck and from the German Perry Rhodan series. The link below goes to a page of German discs (it's all in German, a language I do not read or speak, sorry) that seem to reprint either covers or entire issues from the series and volume 18 features the same image as the Eerie publication in question:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hoerspiel-box.de/hoerspiel-archiv/images/se_cover.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hoerspiel-box.de/hoerspiel-archiv/perry_rhodan_7.htm&usg=__yJoOPUA3Xl7rur8UE_fwLiteOLU=&h=350&w=392&sz=60&hl=en&start=18&um=1&tbnid=8CsefCMIU1yfAM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohnny%2Bbruck%2Brhodan%2Bcover%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GWYE_enUS311US311%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

There are probably many more.