• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Eerie Publications Collection

411 posts in this topic

Mandrafina was one of the few Argentine artists that the Warren companion had anything remotely good to say about (and it wasn't very good - basically that he should have known better than to work at Eerie - actually, he sort of complimented Carlos Munoz as well).

One other note, the issues listed here is the earliest know appearance of that story THAT I HAVE. I curretly lack about 20 issues of a complete set.

Alberto Macagno (1941-), Argentina [19]

Alberto started working in comics in 1967 at the Columba publishing house in Argentina. He continued in the field at least through the 1980s, working on series such as Gran Prix, Los Amigos, Holbeck, Il Golem, and Diario di Bordo (the last two with Domingo Mandrafina)

Blood-Bath (W v7n7); The Corpse (W v5n6); Deadman's Hand (HT v4n2); The Demon (TFTT v6n4); The Gruesome Creatures (TT v4n6); The Hanged (TFTT v6n2); A Head Full of Snakes (W v7n5); The Horror Bell (TOV v5n5); The Living Dead (HT v6n3); River of Blood (WT v5n3); Satan's Blood Bath (TFTT v4n1); Satan's Dead Demons (TOV v5n7); Satan's Man (TT v4n3); Satan's Stone (TFTT v5n2); The Swamp Devils (TT v5n4); Terror in Stone (TOV v6n1); A Tomb of Horror?? (W v8n4a); Tomb of Ogres (TOV v6n3); When They Meet the Vampire (WT v6n1)

Domingo Mandrafina (1944-) Argentina [18]

Mandrafina didn't get into comics until late (1969) but went on to become perhaps the best known of Eerie's Argentine artists (at lest in Europe), going on to success at magazines such as Skorpio and L'Eternauta (Italian) and Spain's Toutain Editeurs' line of comics as well as American work for the Dark Horse titles Dragger and Race of Scorpions.

The Bloody Corpse (W v6n5); Deadman's Rope (W v6n6); The Devil's Girl (HT v6n4); The Devil's Witch (HT v4n7); Drowned in Sand (W v7n6); From the Grave Below (TT v5n3); The Frozen Colossus (TOV v6n6); Horror Face (TOV v6n1); House of Blood?? (TT v6n4); The House That Dripped Blood?? (TT v8n3); Lighthouse of Horror (TT v5n5); The Open Grave?? (TFTT v5n2); Pool of Horror?? (TT v5n4); Satan's Curse (TFTT v5n6); Seat of Doom (TFTT v5n3); Swamp Creature (W v7n7); Terror Tunnel (WT v6n2); This Cat is Evil (TFTT v4n3)

A spate of Argentines who did fewer stories (that I've IDed at least).

I am unsure this is the same Oswal, but I think it is. He usually signed "Oswal" but on one occasion it looks like Oswald to me.

Martha Barnes looks to me like she signs Martha Barne so it may be a different erson. Only one signed story - the rest are quite speculative and I'll have to take a second look.

Oscar Novelle also did a number of covers for Eeire, but I haven't looked at those yet.

Bob Powell also did at least one cover for them and Bill Anderson did a number (I think he was the one who signed "Ander")

Torre Repiso Argentina [13]

The Assassin and the Monster (TOV v5n1); The Bloody House (W v5n5); Bloody Talus (WT v3n5); The Dead Live?? (W v6n7); Deadman's Well (TT v4n5); Flaming Ghost (SG v1n8); It Cried For Blood (WVT v3n1); Man of Evil (W v5n1); The Skeleton (HT v4n4); Terror of the Dead (SG v1n8); Torture Castle (TFTT v3n3); The Vampire (W v5n6); The Weird Thing (TOV v5n6

Oswal [Osvaldo Walter Viola] (1935-) Argentina [11]

Oswal's work included comic book adaptations of David Copperfield and Robinson Crusoe and the creation of a number of Argentine titles. His most well-known work may be the character Sonarman, which he drew for a decade.

Beyond Evil (W v6n1); The Bloody Blob?? (WT v3n4); The Evil Ones (TT v3n3); The Glass Corpse (TT v2n3); The Glass Morgue (TOV v5n3); The Horror Dolls?? (HT v3n4); The Metal Replacements?? (WW v2n3); Metal Terror?? (SG v1n10); The Moon is Red (SG v1n8); Planet of Horror?? (SG v1n8); The Zombie Manikins (WT v3n1)

Oscar A. Novelle (1920-1978) Argentina [9]

Novelle was one of the earliest of the Argentine artists, starting his career in the 1940s. In 1948 he drew an Argentine version of The Saint. Novelle did extensive work for a number of U.S. horror comics publishers, including Warren, D.C., Charlton, and especially Gold Key.

Castle of the Dead (WT v3n3); The Coffin?? (TFTT v6n4); Demon Goddess (W v6n2); The Devil's Sword?? (WT v3n4); Horror Island (TT v3n4); The Planetoid Monsters? (SG v1n10); A Thing of Horror (TT v3n5); A Thing of Terror (TOV v6n2); Voodoo Doll (SG v1n8)

Mariana Cerchiara Argentina [8]

The Blood Cult? (TFTT v5n4); The Bloody Creature (TOV v5n1); The Deadly Demon?? (TFTT v3n2); The Fighting Vampire (HT v6n3); The Living Dead (W v6n2); The Mad Ones (HT v4n3); The Sorcerer (W v5n3); The Wax Witch (W v5n2); Beyond the Grave (TT v7n1); The Doll Witch?? (WT v6n5)

Martha Barnes Argentina [5]

Barnes, whose career started in 1949 and lasted until at least the mid 1970s, was one of the few female cartoonists in Argentina (if not the only one). Like most, if not all, of Eerie's Argentine artists, she worked for the Editorial Columba publishing house.

Beyond the Grave (TT v7n1); The Doll Witch?? (WT v6n5); The Horror Doll?? (HT v8n2); Priestess of Death?? (HT v7n2); Valley of Hell?? (TT v7n1)

Felix Saborido Argentina [2]

Saborido started in comics in 1964, if not earlier. He was apparently known for being able to imitate the style of other artists.

Dimension-Horror?? (HT v2n5); Satan's Demon (HT v2n5)

Eugenio Zoppi (1923-2004) Argentina (2)

Zoppi worked in comics since at least 1950 and his work appeared in Argentina, England, Chile, Italy, and the U.S.

Circle of Fear? (TOV v6n3); Satan's Revenge? (TT v6n4)

Angel A. Fernandez [aka Lito Fernandez] (1941-) Argentina

Fernandez started in comics in 1958 and published mostly under the name Lito Fernandez. This may be the same artist who signed his work Fernand.

The Bloody Corpse (HT v4n3)

Carlos Clemen Argentina

Clemen's career began way back in 1931. He co-created the first Argentine sci-fi series (a series later continued by Walter Casadei).

The Strange Friend? (TFTT v4n4)

Stepancich (16)

It appears that Stepancich also did some romance work for Charlton in 1972.

The Blood-Mad Monster (WT v4n2); The Bloody Guillotine (WT v2n2); Bloody Mary (HT v6n3); Bloody Ten Fingers (WT v4n6); The Bloody Thing (HT v3n3); Body Snatcher (HT v3n2); The Corpse That Lives (HT v4n7); Death Demon (W v6n1); Feast For Rats (W v5n1); The Gory Thing (TOV v6n5); The Gruesome Cannibal (TFTT v3n6); House of the Vampire (WT v4n1); The Hungry Vampire (WT v2n6); The Mummies (WT v2n1); Silent Horror (TFTT v4n1); Torture Chamber (WW v2n3)

Hector Castellon [7]

Castellon was an American artist, whose career included work at Warren and Charlton

The Bloody Demon (HT v3n6); Creatures of Stonehenge (TOV v4n6); Evil Cat (W v5n6); Morgan's Ghost (WT v3n2); Space Demon (SG v1n10); A Thing of Horror (TOV v4n4); The Rat Feast?? (HT v8n4)

Romero [6]

The Broomstick Witch (HT v6n4); Burn, Witch, Burn (TFTT v6n3); Heads of Horror (HT v8n2); Satan's Demons (WT v6n6); The Skeleton (TT v6n2); A Thing With Fangs (W v9n1)

Fernand [5]

The Devil's Vampire (TOV v7n4); Horror in Slime (TOV v7n3); Horror Tree (HT v6n4); Horror With Fangs (TOV v7n6); Vampires Bride (HT v7n2)

Kato [2]

Cats of Doom (HT v7n2); Deaths Path (TT v7n1)

Schmode[???] (1)

The Fanged Freak?? (TFTT v7n1)

I didn't bother listing all the generic Iger Shop credits (there are a zillion of them). I've been told by many veterans that NO ONE can tell who most of these guys were.

The exceptions were a few guys that had unique styles. Many of these come from New England Comics' Buried Terror (though they only did Haunted Thrills and Fantastic Fears/Fantastic).

All below were Iger Shoppers, except for Mortellaro who drew the only story I can find that Eerie reprinted (not remade with new art but straight reprint) that wasn't an AJax/Farrell story. Some of the stuff they reprined was originally printed by someone other than Ajax (i.e. the Grimm Ghost Detective stories from Bomber Comics, the Rulah stories, the stories from Superior's Ellery Queen) but these were reprinted by Ajax/Farrell in the 1950s.

The Bloody Stream was originally a Gillmor story. Not sure why that is the one exception (maybe there's others I don't have yet but I have almost all of the pre-1970 ones). It may be due to Stanley Harris (the Stan of Stanmor) who worked with Myron Fass on his magazines and later worked at Eerie Pubs. (maybe he worked there in the mid 1960s too). He started putting out his own Stanley Publications stuff in 1969 but was also listed in the masthead of Strange Unknown by Eerie pubs that year.

Carl Burgos (1916-1984) [13]

Burgos' work is, of course, legendary. He started in comics producing art for Harry A. Chesler's shop in the late 1930s and was one of the main artists (along with Bill Everett) at Funnies Inc. where he created his most enduring character the original Human Torch (for which he wrote and drew). Burgos is most well known for his work at Timely/Atlas/Marvel where he freelanced off-and-on over the years with his last work for them (and his last know original comics work) appearing in 1966. Carl worked at Eerie from the beginning until 1975 (at least) and was later an editor at Harris Publications.

Blade of Horror (W v2n4); Dearest, Deadest Dummy (W v2n6); Death Trap?? (TFTT v1n6); Doomed? (W v1n10); Druid's Castle (TOV v1n11); Experiment in Terror (TFTC v1n10); Frankenstein (W v1n10); Hands of Terror (W v2n6); House of Chills (W v2n8); Night of Terror? (W v1n11); Off With Their Heads (W v3n4); Screams in the Night (HT v1n7); The Weird Dead? (W v2n9)

Joe Doolin (1902-?) [8]

Doolin was one of the artists at Iger Shop. He started in the pulps in the 1920s, and his best known comic work was for Fiction House.

Careless Corpse (W v2n6); Death at the Mardi Gras (TT v1n8); If I Should Die (W v2n8); Killer Lady (W v2n8); Mirror of Madness (TOV v3n6); Swamp Haunt (W v1n12); Two on the Aisle of Death (TT v2n3); Witches' Haunt (WT v1n8); Cats of Doom (HT v7n2); Deaths Path (TT v7n1)

Robert Hayward Webb [7]

Blood in the Sky (W v3n2); The Dead Went Marching By (TOV v2n4); Doom at the Wheel (W v2n2); I, the Coffin (W v1n11); Monster in the Mist (W v1n11); Phantom Express (TT v1n9); Trumpet of Doom (W v1n10); The Broomstick Witch (HT v6n4); Burn, Witch, Burn (TFTT v6n3); Heads of Horror (HT v8n2)

Matt Baker (1921-1959) [5]

Death Dance? (W v2n4); Drums of Doom (TOV v2n2); He Rose From the Grave (TFTT v1n6); Portrait of Death?? (WT v1n8); The Shelf of Skulls (TT v1n8); Little Red Riding Hood and the Werewolf? (W v1n11); Werewolf? (HT v1n9); The Angry Vampire? (W v4n6); The Atomic Monsters? (WW v1n10); The Bats? (TOV v7n2)

Myron Fass (1926-2006) [2]

Little Red Riding Hood and the Werewolf? (W v1n11); Werewolf? (HT v1n9)

Steve Ditko (1927-)

Stretching Things (W v2n8)

Tony Mortellaro

The Bloody Stream? (HT v1n9)

Ken Battlefield

Demon's Doom? (TOV v2n2)

Rudy Palais (1912-2004)

Until Dead - Rot (WT v1n8)

L.B. Cole

Death is Only Skin Deep (WT v1n8)

Bill Anderson [aka Ander???]

various covers

Bob Powell

cover

It's long and thoughtful posts like this that make me realize that I really have to finish my darn book! There wont be any surprises left if I don't hurry!!

Let me add my 2 cents.

Stanley Morse was the guy behind the Gilmore stuff and competed with Eerie with the Stanley Publishing comics (CHILLING TALES OF HORROR, SHOCK, etc.) Stanley Harris was Fass's business partner from the mid Sixties (and all of the first Eerie run) until 1977.

You're correct on Oswal. They drew in a D for a couple of reprints... scoundrels.

Muñoz is Cirilo, who is far less known than Carlos, but quite awesome, I'm sure we all agree.

Schmode is Martha Barnes. That signature is baffling, but it's definitely her.

I'm finishing up biographies at this point, then I have to toil with indexes (I'm nearly done with my Ajax index... data entry is such a brain-waster!), then it's shoppin' time! You should be pleased with the artist bio section... I'll be showing other work (from Argentina and Europe) from many of them. I've had some luck corresponding with a few of the artists. God bless Babelfish!

I'm glad you're investigating the Ajax artists thing... I'm not even going to try that! (I find the Buried Terror index suspect. First, I can't find any time that Burgos worked for the Iger Shop.) ID'ing Iger artists will not be a part of my tome.

>Muñoz is Cirilo, who is far less known than Carlos

Ahh, good to know. That signature never did look like "Carlos" to me but since everyone listed it as Carlos, I went with them.

I figured it was the same Oswal. What about Clemen being Carlos Clemen? Seems likely to me.

>Stanley Morse was the guy behind the Gilmore stuff and competed with Eerie

> with the Stanley Publishing comics

I realized that after I posted but didn't bother correcting it. Still makes me wonder why they reprinted that one Gillmor story.

>(I find the Buried Terror index suspect. First, I can't find any time that Burgos

> worked for the Iger Shop.

I just checked Jay Disbrow's book on the Iger shop (actually the issue of Alter Ego that reprinted it) and neither Carl Burgos nor Joe Doolin are listed as Iger Shop personnel so they may well be wrong. It's possible that Burgos did do the art but that it wasn't for Iger Shop (i.e. according to Bruce Hamilton, Stretching Things was done for Stanley Morse, who then resold it for a profit.)

Another thing I meant to include in my last post was some text story credits.

I haven't really started on these, but will get to it soon. Eerie seemed to do a mix of fiction stories and non-fiction articles about the unexplained. The non-fiction stuff may have been origina but maybe not (the idea of Myron Fass putting out anything original does seem a stretch). Maybe it was material culled from one of Fass unexplaine phenomena mags.

Here are a few credits for the fiction stuff:

Xebico (W v5n2) was a reprint of The Night Wire by H.F. Arnold (Weird Tales, Sep 1926)

Web of Terror (W v5n3) was The Strange Case of Pascal by Roger Eugene Ulmer (Weird Tales, June 1926)

The Weird Fat Man (W v6n3) was The Truth About Pyecraft by H.G. Wells (The Strand, Apr 1903)

The End (W v6n4) was Finis by Frank L. Pollack (The Argosy, June 1906)

Elixir For Demons (TOV v4n2) was The Phantom Drug by A.W. Kapfer (Weird Tales v7n4, Apr 1926)

Curse of the Sword (TOV v4n2) was The Spell of the Sword by Frank Aubrey (Pearson's Magazine, Feb 1898)

The Monster (TOV v4n5) MIGHT have been Out of the Deep by Robert E. Howard (Magazine of Horror #18, 1967, but maybe earlier??)

The Vampires (TOV v4n6) was A Rendezvous in Averoigne by Clark Ashton Smith (Weird Tales, Apr/May 1931)

MS Found in a Bottle (TOV v5n4) was, of course, by Poe (Baltimore Saturday Visitor, Oct 19, 1833)

The 13th Man (TOV v5n6) was The Trial For Murder by Charles Dickens (All the Year Round, Christmas 1865)

The House of Worm (TT v3n4) was The House of the Worm by Maerle Prout (Weird Tales, Oct 1933)

The Golden Patio (TT v3n5) MIGHT have been by Aubrey Feist from Strange Tales v2n2 (June 1932)

The Weird Thing (TT v4n4) was He by H.P. Lovecraft (Weird Tales, Sep 1926)

Kiss Me Deadly MIGHT (very uncertain) have been A Soul With Two Bodies by Urann Thayer (Ghost Stories, Feb/Mar 1928) but it might have been another Thayer story

The Ghoul (HT v4n3) was the classic What Was It? by Fitz-James O'Brien (Harper's, Mar 1859)

This Tomb is Ours (TFTT v3n3) was The Milk Carts by Violet M. (not A.) Methley (Weird Tales, Mar 1933)

The Beast (TFTT v4n2) was The Mark of the Beast by Rudyard Kipling (The Pioneer, July 12&14 1890)

Locked In Time (WW v2n2) was The Eternal Man by Drury D. Sharp (Strange Stories v1n1. 1939)

The Cosmic Monster (WW v2n4) was The Woman in Gray by Walker G. Everett (Weird Tales, June 1935)

The Antarctic Horror (SG v1n10) was In Amundsen's Tent by John Martin Leahy (Weird Tales, Jan 1928)

The Machine (ST v1n11) was almost surely The Cleaning Machine by F. Paul Wilson (Startling Mystery Stories, Mar 1971 - possibly written as Ronald Burke)

The Ghost Client (SG v1n11) was The Settlement of Dryden vs Sharp by W.O. Inglis (Mark Twain's Library of Humor, 1888)

Of these, the most puzzling to me is the F. Paul Wilson story. (I'm not positive it's the same story but a search on any of the text of the story turns up a match from an anthology containing the story in that location and a search on the first line turns up a website where it is listed as the first line of another anthology where that is the first story so it seems extremely likely especially given the title and plot of the story).

Eerie published it in an August 1971 issue (crediting it to Wilson), meaning it would have likely hit the stands in May, just two months after it was published.

Wonder what the deal is here? I realize Myron Fass didn't exactly have a savory reputation but would even he be so brazen as to rip off a story hot off the presses? Then again, the thought of him paying for something when he could reprint something else for free also seems hard to swallow.

A few finds I left off my last post:

The Witch and the Werewolf (HT v2n1) is Sssshhh from Weird Mysteries #7

The Fleshrippers (W v6n7) is The Spider Man from Chamber of Chills #14

Man-Rat (TOV v6n5) is The Rat Man from Tomb of Terror #5

The Antilla Terror (TFTT v2n6) is from Voodoo #2, as is Rendezvous With Doom (W v2n3)

Death Trap (TFTT v1n6) is a version of Doom Deferred from Strange Fantasy #11 (though I suspect it is actually the code-approved version from one of Ajax/Farrrell's late 1950s titles)

I'm not sure about these but based on the GCD index, I'm pretty sure Horror Hour (W v3n3) was originally printed in Superior's Ellery Queen #2 as Calamity Clock.

I also think that Skeletons Have Secrets (TOV v2n2) was Terror Tide and Satan's Vault of Horror was The Devil in the Vault, both from Ellery Queen #2. [the latter was redone in code-approved form as The Bedeviled Vault in Ajax's Strange Journey #1 in 1957).

Finally, there were a few Ajax reprints I listed already that were also reworked with new art. To wit:

Coward's Curse was reworked as The Spooks (HT v6n1)

Deadly Pickup was reworked as Vampire (TOV v7n2)

Doomed was reworked as The Bloody Knife (HT v6n1)

Devil's Bride was reworked as The Devil's Vampire (TOV v7n4)

The Terror of Akbar was reworked as The Mummy's Evil Eyes (TFTT v6n1)

Trumpet of Doom was reworked as A Ring of Corpses (TT v6n1)

Web of the Widow was reworked as The Spider (TFTT v6n1)

Scream No More, My Lady was reworked as [When They Met the] Vampire (WT v6n1)

Fangs of Fear was reworked as Fangs of Terror (TT v6n2)

I, the Coffin was reworked as The Coffin (TFTT v6n4)

Murder on the Moor was reworked as Horror On the Moor (TOV v7n4)

Monster in the Mist was reworked as The Hungry Monster (TOV v7n3)

Night of Terror was reworked as The Head Chopper (HT v6n3)

The Blood Blossom was reworked as The Vampire Flower (WT v6n4)

Heads of Horror with the same title (TFTT v6n4)

Swamp Haunt was reworked as The Swamp-Witch (WT v6n4)

Black Death was reworked as The Skin-Rippers (TFTT v6n4)

Nightmare was reworked as Nightmare in Blood (WT v6n4)

Nightmare Island was reworked as Horror With 4 Legs (TOV v7n2)

Corpses of the Jury was reworked as A Jury of Skeletons (TT v6n1)

Fiends From the Crypt was reworked as Where the Flesheaters Dwell (TFTT v6n2)

Dying is So Contagioius was reworked as The Curiouis Coffin (TFTT v6n3)

Horror in the Mine was reworked as Tunnel Terror (WT v6n2)

Demon Fiddler was reworked as The Demon (TFTT v6n3)

Madness of Terror was reworked as The Tomb of Hate (HT v6n1)

Demon in the Dungeon was reworked The Demon Ghost (TT v6n1)

Terror Below was reworked as Skin Rippers (W v7v7)

Hands of Terror was reworked as Hands of the Dead (W v8n1)

Werewolf Castle was reworked as Fangs of Horror (WT v6n2)

If I Should Die was reworked as The Rotting Coffin (W v8n2)

The Weird Dead was reworked as The Tomb of Terror (W v10n1)

Death On Ice was reworked as A Tomb of Ice (WT v5n6)

A Hole in the Sky was reworked as Eye of Evil (W v8n2)

Blood in the Sky was reworked as A Storm of Blood (W v8n1)

The Game Called Dying was reworked as the Grotesque Checkmate (HT v6n1)

The Undying Fiend was reworked as The Bloody Vampire (TFTT v6n2)

Skulls of Doom was reworked as Give Me Back My Brain (TT v6n4)

A Skeleton in the Closet was reworked as Skeleton (TOV v7n3)

Horror Harbor was reworked as Horror in Slime (TOV v7n3)

Eerie Bones was reworked as The Skeleton (TT v6n2)

Bloody Mary was reworked with the same title (HT v6n3)

Crawling Death was reworked as Scream in Terror (W v8n2)

The King of Hades was reworked as Satan's Demon (TOV v7n2)

Death Strikes Four was reworked as Tick-Tock Horror (TT v9n3)

Skeletons Have Secrets was reworked as Demons and Skeletons (HT v6n2)

The Witch's Curse was reworked as Burn, Witch, Burn (TFTT v6n3)

Fear Has a Name was reworked as The Rat Feast (HT v8n4)

The Devil Collects was reworked as Satan's Revenge (TT v6n4)

Gravestone For Gratis was reworked as The Ghoul (TFTT v6n1)

Two On the Aisle of Death was reworked as Deadman's Dream (HT v8n2)

Satan's Plaything was reworked as Satan's Toys (HT v6n2)

The Tiger's Paw was reworked as Claws of Horror (WT v6n1)

Screams in the Night was reworked as He Walked Away From the Grave (TOV v7n3)

Dollar$ and Doom was reworked as Twice Dead (W v10n2)

Hissing Horror was reworked as Snakepit (W v7n7)

The Zombi's Bride was reworked as The Living Dead (HT v6n3)

I also looked briefly at covers, but haven't really started trying to do art IDs for them.

Nonetheless, here are the cover artists I did find:

Bob Powell (mentioned earlier)

Bill Anderson (Ander??) (mentioned earlier)

Oscar Novelle

Troy Lanz and William Alexander (their names appear on tombstones on two covers so I'm assuming their the artists)

Faba - also did a number of covers for Skywald

Enright?? (at least that's what the signature looks like)

Villanova

Gene Brxoson mentions a Behan but so far I haven't found that signature.

Also, a possible identity for Stepancich is Oscar Stepancich (another Argentine) but that is just a guess.

Kato could be Ms. Tree artist Gary Kato but that is an even wilder guessed based on a GCD search.

In looking over some stuff, I found another non-Ajax story that looks like it might be a reprint instead of a rework.

Yeech! (WT v1n9 looks like it might actually be a reprint of the original, Harvey's A Matter of Taste with art by Jack Sparling. They did make some minor changes and additions, but it looks practically identical to me.

Also, The Witch's Pit (originally The Well of Mystery from Witches Tales #15) looks awfully close to the original (art by Joe Certa?) as well. This one, however, has more substantial changes, and also looks a bit like the work of Cirilo Munoz. I actually don't have Witches Tales #15 yet, so I can't compare to the color version. I am instead comparing to the original art for the Harvey story at Heritage Auctions. Did Eerie just reprint this one? Did Munoz (or whomever) just blindly copy the original?

A few random notes on cover art.

Villanova is probably the same Villanova who did covers and interior art for Skywald.

A couple of posts in various places claim that Chic Stone did some covers for Eerie (TFTT v1n6, the first three Terror Tales, and a couple of Weirds) but I am highly skeptical of this (one of the Terror Tales he attributes to the Stone is signed by Ander - though some of the others look like they could be Stone).

A series of posts earlier in this thread identified Johnny Bruck (who did covers for German editions of Perry Rhodan sci-fi novels) as a possible artist of the sci-fi covers of 1971 but this was all highly speculative.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the cover of Strange Galaxy v1n8 is indeed reprinted from Fantastic (Stories) v19n2 (Ultimate Publishing Co, Feb 1970).

You can see the orignal here:

http://www.philsp.com/data/images/f/fantastic_197002.jpg

I did finally find that Behan cover I mentioned earlier.

Also found another new Eerie artist - Eduardo Miranda.

Guess who's back :hi:

Happy new year everyone! My life has finally settled down enough where I can get back where I left off with my Eerie Publications :acclaim:

I have a lot of "catching up" to do here, but my first step is to get my images back online:

My Eerie Publications

Next I'm going to fill in some holes and get the index pages up. After that I would like to expand my web page with all the other great info that has been provided here.

Later

Jeff

Ah. Welcome back Jeff.

As luck would have it, I've just finished the first version of my Eerie Publications Index (and Collector's Guide). It's going to be posted over at Enjolrasworld soon, but if you want to put a copy on your site, let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy.

It's a work in progress, as I have yet to complete my Eerie collection (I have 16 left to go, but 10 are from the latter days of Eerie when they did all reprints of earlier stuff.)

Still, it includes almost 900 stories, over 800 art credits (though some are still very speculative), and over 700 pre-code sources (including over 100 I haven't listed here).

It includes the following:

* A (Very) Brief History of Eerie Publications - and I mean brief (2-3 pages). I may try and get more details one day, but I'll probably leave that to Mike's book.

* Main Index - this is the meat of the guide. For each issue (that I have) it gives basic issue info (number, date, page count, price), cover credits (when known, including reprint info), and then a listing of each story and feature with title, page count, artist, the pre-code source from which it came, and a very brief plot description. For some issues, I include notes and discussion, but it was getting too long, so I didn't do it for all of them.

* Appendix A: Checklist - A condensed checklist of all the issues of each title with date, page count, and price. Useful for sorting out which numbers they skipped, which ones were duplicated etc.

* Appendix B: Artists and Personnel - Very brief bios of known artists. Also includes a list of personnel listed in the masthead with the dates they were listed and a listing of Eerie's address changes over the years.

* Appendix C: Artist Cross-Index - An artist-by-artist listing of all the stories they did.

* Appendix D: Story Cross-Index - A story-by-story listing of each story, along with all the issues in which it was reprinted. Very useful for sorting out the various title changes Eerie was wont to do, and their use of the same title for up to 6 or 7 different stories (i.e. The Mummies or Vampire)

* Appendix E: Pre-Code/Reprint Cross-Index - A cross-index of all the pre-code stuff they either reworked or reprinted organized by pre-code publisher, then by title, then by issue #.

* Appendix F: My Personal Favorites - Brief listing of my 10 favorite reworked stories, 5 favorite Ajax/Farrell reprints, and 5 favorite covers.

As I mentioned, I still have 16 issues to go, so I will be updating it frequently as I find more information and get more issues. I I finally found the source for Sewer Werewolves - one of my faves - just the other day.

Oh, and if you need any cover scans for issues you're missing, let me know.

I was thinking about creating a web page myself, but don't know if I will.

A few things I was thinking about that you might want to put on your page:

* A section for each artist with some sample pages/splash panels of their work (for Eerie and for other publishers).

* A side-by-side comparison of a pre-code story and an Eerie remake so people can see how they changed them. (I have plenty of pre-code stuff too. Most of it is public domain so there shouldn't be a problem posting it [though I think that if you only posted a few stories for comparison purposes, even the Eerie stuff would fall under fair use]). This was done on a blog somewhere (they did it with Wolverton's Robot Woman.)

* A side-by-side comparison of an Eerie story and the Ajax/Farrell original to show how they gored it up (I don't have as much Ajax, but have a couple of dozen issues - you can also get them at the Golden Age Comics download site).

* You could also index everything so that when you click on an issue, you see all the stories, then click on a story and see all the issues where it was printed, or click on an artist and see all their stories etc. This would be easier if you had database and programming skills (I do, but still need to learn the web part).

I will eventually do a Stanley Publications index too (need 5 of those).

I have just started looking into it, but already found who did their most well known covers (the really crude ones) - it was Frank Carin (who worked for Atlas etc).

I would love to create a "Eerie" site like you have described. If you're willing to donate you're awesome knowledge I'm willing to create a dedicated Eerie site.

Jeff

Oh, and if you need any cover scans for issues you're missing, let me know.

I was thinking about creating a web page myself, but don't know if I will.

A few things I was thinking about that you might want to put on your page:

* A section for each artist with some sample pages/splash panels of their work (for Eerie and for other publishers).

* A side-by-side comparison of a pre-code story and an Eerie remake so people can see how they changed them. (I have plenty of pre-code stuff too. Most of it is public domain so there shouldn't be a problem posting it [though I think that if you only posted a few stories for comparison purposes, even the Eerie stuff would fall under fair use]). This was done on a blog somewhere (they did it with Wolverton's Robot Woman.)

* A side-by-side comparison of an Eerie story and the Ajax/Farrell original to show how they gored it up (I don't have as much Ajax, but have a couple of dozen issues - you can also get them at the Golden Age Comics download site).

* You could also index everything so that when you click on an issue, you see all the stories, then click on a story and see all the issues where it was printed, or click on an artist and see all their stories etc. This would be easier if you had database and programming skills (I do, but still need to learn the web part).

I will eventually do a Stanley Publications index too (need 5 of those).

I have just started looking into it, but already found who did their most well known covers (the really crude ones) - it was Frank Carin (who worked for Atlas etc).

Good to see you back, Jeff. The book is going well and should be done early this year. You are all welcome to do what you want with the information once it's printed. I'm sorry that I've been so tight lipped with info, but it's been over three years of non-stop work and I'm not one for tipping my hand before everything is verified and 100% accurate.

It looks like Astrp's guide will be the one to see. My own Screaming Horrorama of Indexes is still being entered. Data entry isn't my strong suit. Getting info from my deteriorating loose-leaf notebooks to the computer is like watching paint dry.

As for an Eerie site, my book-plug site is in the planning stages. When we're all up, links would be welcome all around, I'm sure.

I'm glad your book is coming along and I can't wait to see it. I'll keep goofing with my "web site" in the mean time.

Jeff

Good to see you back, Jeff. The book is going well and should be done early this year. You are all welcome to do what you want with the information once it's printed. I'm sorry that I've been so tight lipped with info, but it's been over three years of non-stop work and I'm not one for tipping my hand before everything is verified and 100% accurate.

It looks like Astrp's guide will be the one to see. My own Screaming Horrorama of Indexes is still being entered. Data entry isn't my strong suit. Getting info from my deteriorating loose-leaf notebooks to the computer is like watching paint dry.

As for an Eerie site, my book-plug site is in the planning stages. When we're all up, links would be welcome all around, I'm sure.