• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Eerie Publications Collection

411 posts in this topic

Sorry to see them finished! Even though they don't differ in style from any other Eerie Pub, I always had a thing for the title "Witches Tales." screwy.gif

I think that they're a bit harder to find than the other titles also confused-smiley-013.gif

Hello,

I'm new the boards and to collecting Eerie Pubs, pre-code, and other projects.

One of my projects has been to document all the precode reprints/reworks in the various Eerie Pubs mags. I've only been at it a couple of weeks and unfortunately I only have about 45 Eerie pubs issues and a fairly small collection of pre-code issues and reprints, so this is VERY incomplete (it seems that the early Eerie Pubs issues were pretty much all reprints). It is difficult since they often changed the titles, reworked the art etc but I thought I'd share what I have so far to see if there's any interest in a collaborative effort (though I understand others are doing similar things for books).

"rework" means that they kept basically the same -script but totally redid the art (they made some changes in the dialog and sometimes the plot but large portions of the dialog are word-for-word exactly the same).

If it doesn't say "rework" it's a reprint, meaning they used the same art, though sometimes with minor changes in a panel or two (adding a few drops of blood to the back of a severed hand etc).

If I don't list a title after the Eerie Pubs title, it means they kept the title the same, else I list the original title then the issue, year, and publisher.

At the end I include cases where they either repritned something from an earlier issue of one of their own mags with a different title, or where they reworked it with different art.

I list the stories under the earliest Eerie Pub issue I have in which they appeared. Note that since my Eerie Pubs (and pre-code) collections are VERY incomplete, many of them debuted in earlier issues.

On to the list:

PRE-CODE REPRINTS/REWORKS

-Horror Tales v2n3 (1970)

Killer Lady (Voodoo #6, 1953, Ajax)

Horror Tales v7n1 (1975)

A Gift of Horror (rework of Rift of the Maggis, Tomb of Terror #11, 1953, Harvey)

Horror Tales v9n3 (1979)

The Monster From Dimension X (rework of Fiend From Outer Space, Web of Evil #19, 1954, Quality)

Tales From the Tomb v3n6 (1971)

The Zombies (rework of Marching Zombies, Black Cat Mystery #35, 1952, Harvey)

Tales of Voodoo v1n11 (1968)

Bloody Mary (Strange Fantasy #10, 1954, Ajax)

Crack-Up (possible rework/reprint of the Hating Corpse, Horrific #4, Comic Media)

Tales of Voodoo v2n1 (1969)

Hair Yee-eeee (Strange Fantasy #9, 1953, Ajax)

Tales of Voodoo v3n1 (1970)

Grave Rehearsal (Strange Fantasy [#7?], 1953, Ajax)

Tales of Voodoo v4n6 (1971)

The Blood Monster (rework of The Last Man on Earth, Black Cat Mystery #35, 1952, Harvey)

Tales of Voodoo v5n2 (1972)

Nightmare For a Hero (rework of The Hunter and the Hunted, Mysterious Adventures #15, 1954, Story)

The Bloody Hands (rework of The Strangling Hands, Web of Evil #7, 1953, Quality)

Until Death Do Us Part (rework of Robot Woman, Weird Mysteries #2, 1952, Gillmor)

Tales of Voodoo v6n1 (1973)

Horror Face (rework of The Man With the Iron Face, Witches Tales #12, 1952, Harvey)

The Shrunken Monster (rework of The Shrunken Skull, Chamber of Chills #25, 1954, Harvey)

Tales of Voodoo v7n4 (1974)

Burn, Miser, Burn (rework of Money Hungry, Mysterious Adventures #14, 1954, Story)

Terror Tales v1n9 (1969)

Dream of Death (reprint with changes of Dream of Horror, Strange Fantasy #9, 1953, Ajax)

Heads of Hate (Heads of Horror, Voodoo #14, 1954, Ajax)

Temple of the Beast (Fantastic Fears #5, 1954, Ajax)

The Deadly Ghouls (The Golden Ghouls, Voodoo #1, 1952, Ajax)

Terror Tales v3n3 (1971)

The Devil Collects (rework of The Man Who Tricked the Devil, Tales of Horror #7, 1953, Toby)

Terrors of Dracula v2n4 (1979)

Garden of Corpses (rework of Garden of Horror, Chamber of Chills #7, 1952, Harvey)

Terrors of Dracula v2n3 (1980)

Satan's Demon (rework of The King of Hades, Voodoo #11, 1953, Ajax)

Weird v1n11 (1966)

I, the Coffin (Fantastic Fears #7, 1954, Ajax - may be rework)

Little Red Riding Hood and the Werewolf (Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Werewolf, Fantastic Fears #2, 1953, Ajax)

Weird v2n3 (1967)

Terror Unlimited (Horror Unlimited, Voodoo #14, 1954, Ajax)

Weird v2n10 (1968)

Death on Ice (Strange Fantasy #6, 1953, Ajax)

Mirror of Death (Strange Fantasy #9, 1953, Ajax)

Weird v7n4 (1973)

Horror Club (rework of Kiss and Kill, Witches Tales #20, 1953, Harvey)

Weird v12n3 (1979)

Horror on the Moor (rework of Murder on the Moor, Weird v1n11, 1966)

Weird v5n5 (1971)

Man-Beast (rework of Death Do Us Part, Haunted Thrills #13, 1954, Ajax)

The Bloody House (rework of She Shrieked With Horror, Web of Mystery #24, 1954, Ace)

Weird v3n3 (1969)

The Jinxed Genius (rework of Portrait of Doom, Strange Fantasy #9, 1953, Ajax)

Witches Tales v1n8 (1969)

Until Dead - Rot (Caught in the Graft, Fantastic Fears #5, 1954, Ajax)

Witches' Haunt (Swamp Haunt, Haunted Thrills #5, 1953, Ajax)

Witches Tales v2n2 (1970)

Monster in White (rework of Operation-Monster, Chamber of Chills #25, 1954, Harvey)

Skull Scavenger (Strange Fantasy #6, 1953, Ajax)

Stretching Things (Fantastic Fears #5, 1954, Ajax)

REPRINTS/REWORKS OF EARLIER EERIE PUBS STORIES

Horror Tales v2n3 (1970)

Pull Up a Coffin (Be My Ghost, Weird v1n11, 1966)

Horror Tales v9n3 (1979)

Eye of Evil (rework of A Hole in the Sky, Weird v2n10, 1968)

Tales From the Tomb v3n4 (1971)

Demon (Dragon's Egg, Tales of Voodoo v2n1, 1969)

Tales From the Tomb v3n6 (1971)

The Bloody Things (The Gruesome Garden, Weird v2n3, 1967)

Tales of Voodoo v4n4 (1971)

(The Frozen) Mummies (Death on Ice, Weird v2n10, 1968 [itself a reprint])

Terror Tales v7n3 (1976)

Skin Rippers (rework of Terror Below, Tales of Voodoo v3n1, 1970)

Terrors of Dracula v1n3 (1979)

Pool of Horror (rework of Screaming Hell, Horror Tales v7n1, 1975)

Terrors of Dracula v2n3 (1980)

A Tomb of Ice (rework of Death on Ice, Weird v2n10, 1968)

hi.gif Hi everyone, it's been a while hi.gif

It's about time!!! sumo.gif

Glad to see ya! hi.gif

Thanks man thumbsup2.gif

My life is finally settling down a bit and I hope that 2007 will be a better year and I plan to be posting more often. My wife of 22 years passed away last year, along with my mother, and older brother. One thing that has helped me a lot to get my mind off of things has been reading the posts on these boards daily thumbsup2.gif

Hey Astrp3 pretty cool post, keep up the good work thumbsup2.gif

FYI, I take a digital photo of the index page of every Eerie publication that I've posted in this thread.

If I can help in any way please let me know.

Glad to see ya! hi.gif

Thanks man thumbsup2.gif

My life is finally settling down a bit and I hope that 2007 will be a better year and I plan to be posting more often. My wife of 22 years passed away last year, along with my mother, and older brother. One thing that has helped me a lot to get my mind off of things has been reading the posts on these boards daily thumbsup2.gif

Jeff,

Words can't really do justice after reading that but I'm glad you're still with us on the boards and here's to things getting better in '07!

Jay

Thanks.

The index pages would be helpful with their descriptions and titles (though they so often changed the titles).

One thing you could probably help with:

I just went back through the posts in this forum and looked at all the back covers of issues I don't have and found some more reprints.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the titles of the Eerie Pubs versions were, so if someone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Here are the ones I found:

Terror Tales v3n6 (Nov 1971)

last story is reprint of Experiment in Terror (Haunted Thrills #13, 1953, Ajax)

Terror Tales v5n3 (June 1973)

last story is rework of Dead End (probably Witches Tales #21, 1953, Harvey)

Weird Worlds v1n10 (Dec 1970)

last story is a rework of Mirror Image (Weird Terror #8, 1953, Comic Media)

Witches Tales v6n6 (Nov 1974

last story is rework of The Man Who Died Tomorrow (Web of Mystery #25, 1954, Ace)

There were also a couple of reprints identified earlier in the thread, but they didn't list the name of the story that was reprinted:

1) the last story of Weird v6n3 is reworked from Mysterious Adventures #17 but what was the title of the original and Eerie Pubs stories?

2) The Old Crone's Voodoo (Tales of Voodoo v3n2) was reprinted/reworked from Beware #8, 1954, Trojan but what was the original story called? (I'm guessing it was "When Witches Summon") - also was it a reprint or a rework?

Finally, there are a few where I know or suspect they're reprints but still haven't found my copy of the original or the Eerie pubs version:

Pull Up a Coffin (the one about the executioner where the last panel shows his son playing with a toy guillotine) - I know I've seen that last panel somewhere. Thought it was in Tales Too Terrible to Tell but haven't found it in there yet.

Vengeance (a man's wife is raped, she IDs the culprit and he kills him but then she starts claiming everyone else is the culprit) - this plot was described in TTTTT (as a ripoff of an EC plot) but I haven't found where yet.

the last story in Tales of Voodoo v3n3 - I have this one somewhere too - ditto the last story from Terror Tales v4n4 (though I may have seen this one in another Eerie pubs issue but can't check since I don't know the title).

I think Eerie pubs did the story where a man makes a deal with the devil for eternal life and the devil takes his head. If so, it was probably a reprint/rework of Trick the Devil (Black Cat Mystery #35) - anyone know if this was an Eerie pubs story?

ditto with the story where a scientist brings a man back from the dead (by tossing him into a huge vat of formula) but the man turns into a monster and kills the scientist. This was from Formula For Death (Chamber of Chills #8)

Though I'm a little protective of my hard work and prematurely sharing it with the public (book concerns...) I'll throw a few out there...

"Pull Up A Coffin" was in Fantastic Fears #8.

"Vengeance" is an old story... originally appearing in the 1940's, Saturday Evening Post, I believe, (too lazy to get my papers...) written by Samuel Blas, and was done in Witches Tales #21 (Harvey) as "Revenge"

Thanks. I checked the contents for Fantastic Fears #8 and saw that it also contained a story called Green Horror. Don't have the actual book (Fantastic Fears I mean) but I'm guessing this is the same as the story by the same name that Eerie Pubs did - the killer cactus story (one of those so-bad-its-good things - for me at least).

Glad to see ya! hi.gif

Thanks man thumbsup2.gif

That is a lot of loss in a short span for one person to have to deal with. Sincere wishes for the best, my friend. flowerred.gif

Hello,

I'm new the boards and to collecting Eerie Pubs, pre-code, and other projects.

One of my projects has been to document all the precode reprints/reworks in the various Eerie Pubs mags. I've only been at it a couple of weeks and unfortunately I only have about 45 Eerie pubs issues and a fairly small collection of pre-code issues and reprints, so this is VERY incomplete .....

First, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! hi.gif

That being said, don't feel bad about the size of your collection. I've been collecting pre-code horror comics since 1993 and STILL don't have them all. frown.gif