• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Eerie Publications Collection

411 posts in this topic

Tales of Voodoo - Sep 1969, V2#4 - I NEED A COPY

Tales of Voodoo - Jan 1970, V3#1 - I NEED A COPY

I noticed a theme in the next three covers, a couple big ones 893scratchchin-thumb.gif:

Tales of Voodoo - Mar 1970, V3#2

talesofvoodoo7003w.jpg

Here is what I have:

Creepy

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,12,26,27,32,33,37,56,60,63,64,72,1968YB, 1969YB

Eerie

2,3,4,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,18,19,28,31,34,36,43,46,49,50,51,55,58,71,77,78,96,115,1970YB,1972YB.

What does Eerie #1 look like? On the back of some of the earlier issues, they only list as #2 as their earliest Eerie to get?

jim

Here is what I have:

Creepy

Eerie

2,3,4,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,18,19,28,31,34,36,43,46,49,50,51,55,58,71,77,78,96,115,1970YB,1972YB.

What does Eerie #1 look like? On the back of some of the earlier issues, they only list as #2 as their earliest Eerie to get?

jim

The books you have listed are from Warren Publishing. The books in this thread are from Eerie Pub. The Warren Eerie # 1 issue was a black and white ashcan published very quickly to obtain the title copyright. I sent you a private message (blinking envelope) regarding your books.

BTW: Welcome to the Boards!

Here is what I have:

Creepy

Eerie

jim

The books you have listed are from Warren Publishing. The books in this thread are from Eerie Pub. The Warren Eerie # 1 issue was a black and white ashcan published very quickly to obtain the title copyright. I sent you a private message (blinking envelope) regarding your books.

BTW: Welcome to the Boards!

grin.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this next cover, I wonder if Mike knows who the artist is

Tales from the Tomb - Feb 1971, V3#1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Nope... a big hole in my research (heh heh... I said big hole) is the origin or artist of the 1971 stream of sci-fi covers! Anyone? The art, while often exciting, is in a fairly generic style, so it could be ANYONE!!!! But yeah... there are some awesome ones!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may not be able to provide a definitive answer to the souce of the SF covers but, may be able to point you in the right direction....

Myron Fass seems to have bought cheap art anywhere he could find it be it stray artists from Marvel (Chic Stone on Terror Tales May 1969, Tales from the Tomb June 1969, Terror Tales March 1969), French Skywald publishers (The unusually well made and attractive covers to Tales of Voodoo Nov 1971 and Horror Tales April 1974) American Skywald art that Skywald could no longer afford (Faba's cover to Tales of Voodoo Nov 1974 (? the resoloution on the image I have of this is blurry on the date) and Tales from the Tomb Nov 1974), a lot of original art was probably ruined to make all of those ridiculous collage/and/or/retouched covers (take a good look at the last two I mentioned) and those mysterious Sf covers...

The cover of Horror Tales July 1971 (which is actually a fantasy cover but, seems to be in the same style as many of the SF themed covers) seems to be from a Turkish source devoted to Tarkan, a Prince Valiant/Conan type comic book hero.That is his symbol on the ship sail. An outfit called Mondo Mcabro has released some Turkish film adaptions in English and the owners also published a book called Mondo Mcabro with a chapter on Turkish movies (Its where I first heard about and saw pictures of Tarkan )and an inquiry to their web site will likely get you the name of this artist or at least pointed toward the source. A company called Comicfix also puts out Turkish comics and film adaptions.

The other covers MAY come from the Perry Rhodan series which originates in Germany and has been republished all over the world. I say this as one day on Ebay in the late 90s I stumbled across an auction for some small figures and toys that were said to be from this series and they included the mushroom thing from Tales of Voodoo Jan 1971, The four armed monster on Weird June 1971, The space suit on Tales from the Tomb August 1971 and a space ship from an issue I have no reference for. I do not know what country the art come from (The American versions were done by Grey Morrow and are NOT these Eerie covers) or the date of production. And this could be wild goose chase since I have yet to actually see a foriegn Perry Rhodan with this sort of art.

Thanks for posting all of this goofy stuff that scared me so much as a kid and good luck with the project.

Wow I think I was right about the series but, wrong about the source. Some of the earliest American editions currently offerd on Ebay seem to be by the same hand as these Eerie covers, maybe the Eerie covers are rejects or possibly these early covers come from a previous foriegn incarnation (they certainly look "old fasioned" by early 70s standards) that was deemed unsuitable when Morrow was brought in. Here are some examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Perry-Rhodan-13-The-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Perry-Rhodan-11-Plan...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Perry-Rhodan-8-The-G...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Perry-Rhodan-9-Quest...1QQcmdZViewItem

Forry Ackerman was the American editor for this and was also an agent for artists and writers. I think he is still alive though quite old. If he is up to it he may be able to answer your questions.

A HUGE thank you for this info, Creepy!!! You've set me off in (another) new direction in search of Perry Rhodan books!! Those toy figures interest me to no end!

Re Skywald covers... there are a few more that would fit this mold... TERROR TALES 12/74 with a Villanova cover, among others. I suspect Faba's cover to TOV 11/74 was a Skywald reject, as it contains a Warren (Eerie 48... my favorite Warren cover) and another Skywald (Scream 4) swipe!

Those French Skywald covers are interesting... they saw print with Fass in 1971, and were used for the French mags in 1972. The TOV 11/71 is signed by Saldana, but looks like Fernando Fernandes to me. Pseudonym? Hmmmm.... Much more researcvh to do!

Thanks a million for your leads!!!

A HUGE thank you for this info, Creepy!!! You've set me off in (another) new direction in search of Perry Rhodan books!! Those toy figures interest me to no end!

Re Skywald covers... there are a few more that would fit this mold... TERROR TALES 12/74 with a Villanova cover, among others. I suspect Faba's cover to TOV 11/74 was a Skywald reject, as it contains a Warren (Eerie 48... my favorite Warren cover) and another Skywald (Scream 4) swipe!

Those French Skywald covers are interesting... they saw print with Fass in 1971, and were used for the French mags in 1972. The TOV 11/71 is signed by Saldana, but looks like Fernando Fernandes to me. Pseudonym? Hmmmm.... Much more researcvh to do!

Thanks a million for your leads!!!

I agree that that Looks like a typical Fernandes gal on that TOV Nov 1971. Fernandes and Pujolar also did covers for American men's adventure magazines. Check out the later pages of the books It's A Man's World and Men's Adventure Magazines.

There is also a book called Bad Mags that has chapter on the Fass publishing empire in amongst all of the obscure smut publishers. I think Headpress put that out and there is a website.

Here is a letter I was compelled to swipe off of the Comicon board back in 2002 on a forum devoted to bad/notorious publishers:

Jose Luis Silva

Member # 1172

Apparently nobody remembers (or has heard of) Stanley Morse. Historians say his business practices made Victor Fox look like Mother Teresa by comparison. While many of his books are well regarded, mainly due to Basil Wolverton's contributions, his business ethics sound worse, by far, than anybody's mentioned here.

I hadn't heard about CHARLTON's mob connections, but I did know it was never a small time comic publisher.

I can vouch for Myron Fass' nomination also, as a friend of mine, who lives in Uruguay, South America, told me he used to receive stats from previously published horror stories (pretty lame and of inferior quality, by the way) and be paid misery wages to redraw a few select panels following one directive: "make them as gory and sexually explicit as possible" These pages were them reprinted in such magazines as HORROR

Jose Luis Silva

Those toys were of two sorts:

Multiple copies of the spaceship were offerd at that time and I want to say they were possibly model kits from Germany with that language on the package.

The figures were little unpainted things like gamers like to mess around with.

A final link:

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/PR-series.html

Here is the pertinent information:

Quote: Update Note: One of the ACE IMAGE LIBRARY users (who is more familiar with this genre than I am) has supplied information concerning the cover art of the early part of this series. It appears that the first printing of ACE PR volumes 6 to 13 used the original German covers for the series instead of Gray Morrow covers. Gray Morrow cover art was used on the later volumes and second printings. By the third printing all of ACE Perry Rhodan volumes 6 to 13 had been replaced by Gray Morrow covers. The artist on the German covers was Johnny Bruck, who actually produced most of the covers for the first 1800 issues of the series. Sandy Huffaker (artist) did not produce cover art for this series and is only attributed to interior illustrations for the Ace printings. [Thank you David for your contribution] /Quote: