• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Eerie Publications Collection

411 posts in this topic

Great thread and great books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Best part is that you are showing the back covers where we can get a glimpse of some of the stories! thumbsup2.gif

This panel actually made me feel sick when I was a kid reading it for the first time.

I think it has to do with the way he put her legs in her arms.

Seeing it again brings back that memory. Thanks...I think... smirk.gif

Always happy to bring back those sickening memories thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Hey gang! Believe it or not, I just stumbled onto this thread tonight (I'm not active collecting mags so I don't frequent this forum). I remember reading a few of these mags as a kid and being thrilled. First off, they concentrate on monsters, and that was my thing when I was eight. Also, I think because of the lack of comics code seal, there was way more guts and gore, which really appealed to my tastes (skulls, skeletons, rotting corpses...yeah!)

Several things spur my memory of these mags, although I'm sure you've already noticed:

[*] Liberal re-use of covers.

[*] Liberal re-use of stories.

In few mags I purchased off the stand I remember stories being repeated...which really bummed me out. Still, I think these mags really caught my interest even with the b&w format (it allowed me to enjoy the short lived Tomb of Dracula b&w mag following the comic cancellation). Some stories made optimum use of the b&w format, in addition to the fact that there was still a bunch of b&w horror movie classics in the minds of the readers that fit the mood to a T. As you would expect, a lot of it is over the top but the stories are a lot better than what the gore fest on the cover would indicate.

I do plan on getting a few of these and re-discover some forgotten stories.

Two stories I remember distinctly was the classic "The Thing in the Cellar" that a previous member mentioned. Our beach cottage had a gas furnace and it scared the mess out of me when it turned on (especially at night causing an ominous glow). The other story had to do with a lady at the bottom of the lake, luring victims to their untimely demise. It reminds me of the Iron Maiden song "Still Life" and from LOTR: Twin Towers "death pool" scene.

Great thread, and thanks for the info!

Jeff, not sure if this has been mentioned but I learned of (3) issues that have OPG uncredited Matt Baker stories, of the two I have seen one was reprinted from the original art and looked fantastic, the other had shading in place of the coloring and didn't look as nice...though it was still cool Baker art!

Jeff, not sure if this has been mentioned but I learned of (3) issues that have OPG uncredited Matt Baker stories, of the two I have seen one was reprinted from the original art and looked fantastic, the other had shading in place of the coloring and didn't look as nice...though it was still cool Baker art!

I wasn't aware of this, thanks thumbsup2.gif

Maybe Mike poke2.gif can help us out here, which stories/issues Mike 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jeff

I wasn't aware of this, thanks thumbsup2.gif

Maybe Mike poke2.gif can help us out here, which stories/issues Mike 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jeff

Whoops, should have posted the issues...

Tales from the Tomb Vol.1 #6

Tales of Voodoo Vol.2 #2 (5/69)

Weird Vol.4 #6 (12/70)

Andrew

There's a few of those Rulah stories reprinted in early issues, with the name changed to Pulah (or Kulah). These were originally from Rulah comics (yes indeed... Baker art!) and changed for Ajax books, most notably VOODOO. My index is downstairs, but "Cult Of The Cruel" (aka "Cult Of Evil" pops up in a bunch of the 60s issues. There are a few more, with title changes that are making it FRUSTRATING for me to identify!! Thanks, Myron!

The early 'Pubs are a great place to look at all things Ajax.

Whoops, should have posted the issues...

Tales from the Tomb Vol.1 #6

Tales of Voodoo Vol.2 #2 (5/69)

Weird Vol.4 #6 (12/70)

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I'll try and post a story thumbsup2.gif

I look forward to your PM wink.gif

There's a few of those Rulah stories reprinted in early issues, with the name changed to Pulah (or Kulah). These were originally from Rulah comics (yes indeed... Baker art!) and changed for Ajax books, most notably VOODOO. My index is downstairs, but "Cult Of The Cruel" (aka "Cult Of Evil" pops up in a bunch of the 60s issues. There are a few more, with title changes that are making it FRUSTRATING for me to identify!! Thanks, Myron!

The early 'Pubs are a great place to look at all things Ajax.

Thanks Mike, great info (As always) 893applaud-thumb.gif

Weird - ??? 1973, Vol.7 No.2 - DOES THIS EXIST? (Mike poke2.gif)

This would make 3 months of WEIRD in a row... (Feb, March and April 73), which seems unlikely...

Except that they did it the year before in '72! confused.gif

I haven't found one yet. I've been looking for over a decade. But I'm not counting it out yet!

I also found another one, the story about the man who finds the witches' flute.

When he plays it they come to life. At the end he throws it out of the cave and gets sealed in with the witches when the cave closes.

It is from issue # 8 of "Beware" published by Trojan. Let me know if you would like me to post it!