• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Under-Achieving Character of the Bronze Age

113 posts in this topic

I have a few...all have major upside but NEVER amounted to jack

1--Ultron--got to love evil robots

2--Wonderman--Visions brother NUFF said smile.gif

3--Taskmaster--Just a meaner looking version of bullseye but I liked him.

4---Grim Reaper--see #2 (Vision and Wonderman)

--I always liked his sycth for a hand

** Not bronze age....but Maverick from New X-Men(Weapon X experiment) and SOLO from spiderman--something about both of them I liked

I think Nova would be # 1 from the bronze age . HE could have been a contender. They really modeled him after Spidey. As posters said he was RR and Spidey was PP. I seem to remeber him being called dome head sounds like web head.

Things got so bad for him at the end they canceled his series after issue #25 and he next apperaed in an issue of Rom to tie his story up. In that issue he has his Nova powers taken back from him. Very underated issue. but still it is a Rom issue. They did him wrong making him go out in a Rom issue.

I always liked Man-Bat. He had a cool visual appearance and was an anti-hero. He tried to do good but usually seemed to screw it up. One of the earliest comics I had was Man-Bat #2. It is a great issue. Good art and a good story. I wished his series had lasted more than a puny two issues!

A Ditko Charlton character. I only know this because I had at one time a whole bunch of Charlton reprints under the Modern imprint. Of course I got rid of them all and now wish I didn't....

He was a back-up feature in Blue Beetle (1967 series). All I remember is he was a sort of Green Hornet with no Kato and a mask that made him appear faceless.

Kull

I would definitely agree with Kull. I thought the writing and art were strong throughout the series.

I agree with the others that have said Nova. I really liked the series even though sometimes Richard Ryder was a bit too Peter Parker-ish for my tastes.

RR's name even has the same "feel" as PPs. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No question that Nova was modeled on Spidey, but in general RR was a little bit less of a wuss than PP (which isn't saying much).

Thinking too much about this, but if we break this down a bit more we have:

Peter => slang for male member

Richard => => slang for male member

Parker... not a driver

Rider... not a driver either

And - of course... the sum total for Nova is " Rider" (not that there is anything wrong with that). Could this name have anything to do (on a subconscious level) with why the character didn't catch on initially? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I also have an interesting theory about the Hulk's connection to Tolkein's The Hobbit... insane.gif

The Question

Yep, The Question is definitely underrated. He had a nice stint of Books in the 80's that Denny O'neil worked on. Which went to a Quarterly(I had these at one point). Real shame, he didn't florish like he should have.

The Question

Yep, The Question is definitely underrated. He had a nice stint of Books in the 80's that Denny O'neil worked on. Which went to a Quarterly(I had these at one point). Real shame, he didn't florish like he should have.

Maybe they should revert The Question - in these modern times - more towards his Mr. A predecessor... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The original Bullseye died in Nick Fury #15 (Silver Age). The second bullseye started in Daredevil #131 (Bronze Age)

But why don't we refer to them as Daredevil 2, Punisher 2, Vision 2, Human Torch 2, etc., etc., etc.? screwy.gif

The original Bullseye died in Nick Fury #15 (Silver Age). The second bullseye started in Daredevil #131 (Bronze Age)

But why don't we refer to them as Daredevil 2, Punisher 2, Vision 2, Human Torch 2, etc., etc., etc.? screwy.gif

With regards to Human Torch, we do make a distinction between the original and Johnny Storm.

Actually - given the Agents of Atlas mini going on now - a story looking at the 1's (then and now) might be interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

With regards to Human Torch, we do make a distinction between the original and Johnny Storm.

Right but only because Byrne retconned him back, and even then, the first one is called the Original Human Torch, and Johnny Storm is NOT Human Torch 2.

Whatever character is currently in vogue, and using the name, has the right to the full title.

Right but only because Byrne retconned him back, and even then, the first one is called the Original Human Torch, and Johnny Storm is NOT Human Torch 2.

Whatever character is currently in vogue, and using the name, has the right to the full title.

Heroes should file a lawsuit against the others for name recognition, defamation of character, copyright infringements...etc... 27_laughing.gif

But I guess that would be too realistic in today's world. screwy.giftongue.gif

especially the Ani-Men. lord above, there were like what, ten of each of those 893censored-thumb.gif tools?