• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,461 posts in this topic

Nice centering on those puppies! (thumbs u (And no tanning, which can be a problem with those two covers.)

Thanks point five. Do you have a favorite LCS in NYC? Was there in September, great city.

P5's favourite store is Metropolis... :baiting:lol

NYC is a great city!

:hi:

Sadly, the majority of the better stores here have closed in the last 5-10 years. Rents are just too high.

Metro is definitely the best for GA/SA selection, not much question.

Roger's Time Machine on West 14th St is a fun place to browseSpen old back issues. Not a comprehensive stock, and tends towards the low-grade, but worth a look.

Jim Hanley's Universe on West 33rd St (across from Empire State Building) is the best store for new issues & TPBs, and the best all-around store to browse IMO.

Heck, it is a pretty great city. :headbang:

Amazing city, spent ten days there. Didn't matter which direction I walked from my hotel, I would run into a famous landmark. Looked in the yellow pages and was surprised that only a few comic stores were listed. Called Metropolis comics, had a few comics put aside and made an appointment to view them, Never had to make an appointment to buy comics before. Took the subway the next day to the closest stop, talked my wife into shopping across the street; don't want her going into Metropolis with me and screaming "thats too much", and picked up Spidey 14. Ah....good times.

I found ASM #13 to be one of the tougher holes to fill in my early ASM collection.

Consider:

--It's ridiculously overpriced in the guide, especially compared to surrounding keys. (1st appearance of Mysterio? Are there Mysterio completists out there?)

--The white cover makes it easily susceptible to tanning and dirtiness.

--Despite the white cover, the artwork on the spine is black, and looks awful when there is heavy cracking/color loss, which is often the case with lower-grade copies.

A pain to find the right lower-grade copy at the right price. But I'm sure you will, it just takes patience.

Actually, I've agreed to sell Forrest my low grade copy (1.5) at a nice discount once I find a worthy mid grade replacement. I don't know if I'm a Mysterio completist, but I would rather have a nice copy of this book than either an ASM 2 (Vulture = Yuck) or ASM 14 (GG = zzz). Yes, I know I'm in the minority on this one.

Simply put, ASM 13 rocks!!!

Actually, I've agreed to sell Forrest my low grade copy (1.5) at a nice discount once I find a worthy mid grade replacement. I don't know if I'm a Mysterio completist, but I would rather have a nice copy of this book than either an ASM 2 (Vulture = Yuck) or ASM 14 (GG = zzz). Yes, I know I'm in the minority on this one.

Nice. :applause: So I guess the trick will be finding that mid-grade replacement...

I can agree on ASM 2. I was happy to buy a really nice GD+ copy from Paul (who bought it from Jason who bought it from Collin... :) ), but the Flying Geriatric was never high on my list of villains. Although I really like Ditko's Green Goblin, I have to admit that this character really stepped out from the crowd of other villains once Jazzy John stepped in. But Ditko's Mysterio... tops!

I found ASM #13 to be one of the tougher holes to fill in my early ASM collection.

Consider:

--It's ridiculously overpriced in the guide, especially compared to surrounding keys. (1st appearance of Mysterio? Are there Mysterio completists out there?)

--The white cover makes it easily susceptible to tanning and dirtiness.

--Despite the white cover, the artwork on the spine is black, and looks awful when there is heavy cracking/color loss, which is often the case with lower-grade copies.

A pain to find the right lower-grade copy at the right price. But I'm sure you will, it just takes patience.

And try to find one that is well-centered ....

I can agree on ASM 2. I was happy to buy a really nice GD+ copy from Paul (who bought it from Jason who bought it from Collin... :) ), but the Flying Geriatric was never high on my list of villains. Although I really like Ditko's Green Goblin, I have to admit that this character really stepped out from the crowd of other villains once Jazzy John stepped in. But Ditko's Mysterio... tops!
Romita's Mysterio in ASM 66/67 was pretty good too.

I can agree on ASM 2. I was happy to buy a really nice GD+ copy from Paul (who bought it from Jason who bought it from Collin... :) ), but the Flying Geriatric was never high on my list of villains.

I know there's not much Vulture love in these parts....but as I've told piper, I still have a soft spot for ASM #7 (2nd app. Vulture). One of my favorite early stories, that really goes a long way towards developing Spidey's personality and what made the series so special. The fight in the Daily Bugle (back before such fights became a cliche) is great fun. A neat early issue.

I can agree on ASM 2. I was happy to buy a really nice GD+ copy from Paul (who bought it from Jason who bought it from Collin... :) ), but the Flying Geriatric was never high on my list of villains.

I know there's not much Vulture love in these parts....but as I've told piper, I still have a soft spot for ASM #7 (2nd app. Vulture). One of my favorite early stories, that really goes a long way towards developing Spidey's personality and what made the series so special. The fight in the Daily Bugle (back before such fights became a cliche) is great fun. A neat early issue.

I am not fond of the Vulture either but that cover is one of my favorite covers. :cloud9:

My Latest Spidey and it's an Annual too!

asmann2frt.jpg

(thumbs u

It's nice to see our beloved ASM thread get a well deserved bump.

Sweet lot, Fishbone--reel 'em in!

Speaking of lots, I wonder if a ComicLink focused auction has ever had this many ASMs in 9.8 (17 in all and they're all up for grabs until later tonight):

#50!!

#122!!

#129!!

Man, if I could only have one. :frown: By chance, anyone bidding on any of them?