• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

Ghost, ive gotta ask ...

have you considered having CGC reslab all those sweet 9.6s that have the old flip?

my OCD wont even let me buy one of those old flip CGCs lol

I probably have more old label books than new. With over 2500 certified books, the re-slabbing fees and shipping fees would be pretty insane. I definitely have my own strain of OCD, but I've learned to overcome it when it costs me too much.

Ghost, ive gotta ask ...

have you considered having CGC reslab all those sweet 9.6s that have the old flip?

I probably have more old label books than new. With over 2500 certified books, the re-slabbing fees and shipping fees would be pretty insane. I definitely have my own strain of OCD, but I've learned to overcome it when it costs me too much.

Fair point. Do you put more of a personal premium on going after ASMs in the old flip then?

Ghost, ive gotta ask ...

Fair point. Do you put more of a personal premium on going after ASMs in the old flip then?

I do think that CGC's grading was tighter in the early days. But I also think the books in the old label slabs are more likely to have slab damage. And that's just because those books are more likely to have been shipped around multiple times. So... yes. And no.

Those are all amazing Barton, and the scans are great too.

What settings are you using for those pictures, if you recall? I just got my A3 scanner working with my new PC. I left the dpi of mine at 300dpi, the brightness and contrast I went up 10% each, and when uploaded I set the hosted pictures to 1024 by xxx. I appreciate any hints, I'll soon begin scanning my collection again.

Some more old label goodies:

ASM55.jpg

ASM56.jpg

ASM57.jpg

Ghost, please stop posting these books long enough for me to get my eyes back into their sockets, every time I get them back in you just pop them out again.

I am so impressed. :cloud9:

Those are all amazing Barton, and the scans are great too.

What settings are you using for those pictures, if you recall? I just got my A3 scanner working with my new PC. I left the dpi of mine at 300dpi, the brightness and contrast I went up 10% each, and when uploaded I set the hosted pictures to 1024 by xxx. I appreciate any hints, I'll soon begin scanning my collection again.

I use VueScan software from these guys: http://hamrick.com/

I think you can use it with most scanners and computers. I'm a Mac guy and I use a Microtek scanner. But I from what I gather, you can use it with most scanners and PCs. If you get the software, I can email you the exact settings I've been using.

It took a lot of experimenting to find the settings. (The default settings are terrible.) I don't think my settings are perfect, but they're good enough.

I think the cover to #55 is underrated. Always loved it.

I think the run of Romita covers from ASM #39 to #75 is one of the best in Marvel's history. There are a few less-than-great covers like #59 and #61. But for the most part, it's a pretty phenomenal series of memorable Spidey images.

I think FF #39 to #75 might come close. And Thor #126 to #169 are great runs of covers too. But to me, they're not as consistently awesome as the ASM run.

I was thinking of putting together a run of ASMs that should never have been slabbed...like this 114.

If I can't roll like Barton, I may as well get the distinction of having the lowest grade slabbed set in existence.

I actually gave away this book as a bonus freebie in a recent sales thread of mine, but the buyer still hasn't paid for his purchases, so it's still in my possession. This beat-up rag got more attention in my thread than my ASM #2 and ASM #3. I would love to know the story behind it as well, as I'm pretty certain I received it as a freebie as well. I just can't remember when, or from whom.

I think the run of Romita covers from ASM #39 to #75 is one of the best in Marvel's history. There are a few less-than-great covers like #59 and #61. But for the most part, it's a pretty phenomenal series of memorable Spidey images.

I agree, but I really like 59 and 61 as well, particularly 59; I'm surprised to hear you don't really like that one, being that it's the first MJ cover. For me, the weakest covers from that run are 63 and 65.

I agree, but I really like 59 and 61 as well, particularly 59; I'm surprised to hear you don't really like that one, being that it's the first MJ cover. For me, the weakest covers from that run are 63 and 65.

Funny, I guess that's a testament to Romita and these covers. I like 63 and 65. It's not that I don't like #59, but for me it's not as strong as a lot of the others.

I think FF #39 to #75 might come close. And Thor #126 to #169 are great runs of covers too. But to me, they're not as consistently awesome as the ASM run.

Romita was a terrific artist but I think Kirby influenced his layouts greatly from early on when JR joined Marvel on the DD run.

I think the reasons the covers are so great is that Romita was a very talented linesman but learned to layout covers by adapting the Kirby "larger than life" way.

I agree, a very memorable set of covers.

Romita was a terrific artist but I think Kirby influenced his layouts greatly from early on when JR joined Marvel on the DD run.

I think the reasons the covers are so great is that Romita was a very talented linesman but learned to layout covers by adapting the Kirby "larger than life" way.

You're probably right about that.

What a fantastic run. ....something to be proud of. Thanks for taking the time to post 'em. What are your favorite 10 slabs (ASM) that you own ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u