• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

Barton, how much of your ASM run (roughly) was acquired raw, pre-CGC? The fact that you've bought so many 9.6-9.8 copies raw tells me you must have one heck of an eye for high grade books.

Barton, how much of your ASM run (roughly) was acquired raw, pre-CGC? The fact that you've bought so many 9.6-9.8 copies raw tells me you must have one heck of an eye for high grade books.

From #1 to #150, I'd say I bought about half my current ASM collection raw.

Although for the books under #25, I had some 9.4s and 9.6s come back from CGC but they were mostly of 9.2s and 9.0s. Fortunately, I was able to sell those and buy nicer copies before the prices got too nutty.

My #3 (9.4), #7 (9.6), #12 (9.4) were all bought raw which makes me particularly fond of them.

For the books after #25, my success rate was much higher. But if I had a book that graded a 9.4 (and there were many), I would buy a 9.6 and sell the undercopy.

Thanks, I don't know what the defects are. It came from the 2011 CLink auction I believe. The #11 is so hard to find that I was glad to see it.

I will be taking it and others out very soon though, to see what the actual books are like. I can't fit very many slabs into a safe deposit box, but 150 Mylars should easily go in a 10"x10" box. :gossip:

Well done. I had the raw books in the 7.5 to 9.2 range, and then began upgrading to the 9.0+ stuff. :shy:

ASM011CGC92OW.jpg

That's an awesome copy, and it's perfectly centered which seems rare for that issue.

But mostly I think it's just a great cover. It's mysterious, dramatic, and I even love the garbage in the street.

Agree--that's why I took my avatar from that cover. :cloud9:

No, you need a baxter building avatar... :grin:

Well done. I had the raw books in the 7.5 to 9.2 range, and then began upgrading to the 9.0+ stuff. :shy:

ASM011CGC92OW.jpg

It's nice to see high-grade copies of this book. :cloud9:

WOW Don! :o Find yourself a 9.4 and sell that book to me! lol

From #1 to #150, I'd say I bought about half my current ASM collection raw.

Although for the books under #25, I had some 9.4s and 9.6s come back from CGC but they were mostly of 9.2s and 9.0s. Fortunately, I was able to sell those and buy nicer copies before the prices got too nutty.

My #3 (9.4), #7 (9.6), #12 (9.4) were all bought raw which makes me particularly fond of them.

For the books after #25, my success rate was much higher. But if I had a book that graded a 9.4 (and there were many), I would buy a 9.6 and sell the undercopy.

You collected that in comic collecting prime. Now the prices are so insane.

His whole freakin run :cloud9:

I've looked through these scans in his registry many times over the years, and they never get old. I've always appreciated the fact that Barton is willing to share, and wish more BSDs (like Brulato!) would do the same.