• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

Reader copy but, hey, I have one now. :grin:

9sdj6w.jpg

That's a hell of a lot nicer than my first copy. Mine had no back cover and something like 6 extra "non-manufacturing" staples in the spine holding the rag of a front cover on. But it was a copy!

Nice book! :applause:

So decided this is the comic I plan on collecting. In the past I have just read whatever I liked til I got bored with it, but something about Spiderman started clicking. Also getting this series since it is 'complete' and I won't have to collect forever, know there is only 700 issues.

So far just have a hodge lodge of books, so curious if there are any suggestions for arcs to look for now? Can't buy a whole lot of older ones at a time, but always looking for good reads at good prices.

Also had a question about condition. Really right now I'm going for readers, preferably VF or better, but have settled for G and was curious if people have had luck selling books when you upgrade? Should I just go F or better until I can't afford it (probably won't ever be able to get a F ASM#1)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Reader copy but, hey, I have one now. :grin:

9sdj6w.jpg

That's a hell of a lot nicer than my first copy. Mine had no back cover and something like 6 extra "non-manufacturing" staples in the spine holding the rag of a front cover on. But it was a copy!

Nice book! :applause:

Thanks!

I started collecting this series about 8 months ago and have gathered almost 150 issues ranging from 16-700 so far. This is my first post here and I anticipate that I will be spending a lot of time here in the future. :)

WTTB!

Good luck and have fun with the run pursuit!

Fellow ASM collector... :headbang:

Tom

I started collecting this series about 8 months ago and have gathered almost 150 issues ranging from 16-700 so far. This is my first post here and I anticipate that I will be spending a lot of time here in the future. :)

WTTB!

Good luck and have fun with the run pursuit!

Fellow ASM collector... :headbang:

Tom

Yeah good luck with the quest! Real fun title to piece together! :cloud9:

Been collecting on a budget for about 20 years. Parents bought them for me as a kid (copper and modern age) but i started with bronze and then silver for the last 10 years with my own money. Most of my collection is mid-grade but i made sure to get nice keys in the bronze age. Silver age keys are expensive!

Ive got 54 comics from 1-100

Every single issue from 100-200 and

All of the hobgoblin and Venom/Carnage stuff.

I have AF15 and Annual 1. Dont have a number 1 (too expensive :/ )

Getting a number 3 for my 30th from the Wife :)

It is fun collecting but when youre on a budget it takes a looong time to make a run like this. Worst part is when you get distracted by other good titles. I recently got into tomb of dracula / Conan / Swamp Thing / and Ninja Turtles.

One piece of advice for collectors like me: Get very very low grade on the issues you dont like to fill in your run, you can put the money towards making sure the books you love look nice (spiderman 14 (1st goblin), 129 first punisher, 50 1st Kingpin i got nice copies). Anytime i go to LCS i make sure to leave with at least 1 ASM. Latest pick up: Spiderman 90 featuring death of Captain Stacy. Raw VFish.

Also, raw books r cheaper and easier to read :P

Been collecting on a budget for about 20 years. Parents bought them for me as a kid (copper and modern age) but i started with bronze and then silver for the last 10 years with my own money. Most of my collection is mid-grade but i made sure to get nice keys in the bronze age. Silver age keys are expensive!

It is fun collecting but when youre on a budget it takes a looong time to make a run like this. Worst part is when you get distracted by other good titles. I recently got into tomb of dracula / Conan / Swamp Thing / and Ninja Turtles.

One piece of advice for collectors like me: Get very very low grade on the issues you dont like to fill in your run, you can put the money towards making sure the books you love look nice (spiderman 14 (1st goblin), 129 first punisher, 50 1st Kingpin i got nice copies). Anytime i go to LCS i make sure to leave with at least 1 ASM. Latest pick up: Spiderman 90 featuring death of Captain Stacy. Raw VFish.

The longer you stay at it the more chance you have at completing it. I never thought years ago I would ever finish my run of Amazing. Now almost 30 years later I have completed collecting every issue published from 1959 to 1979 from Marvel. Good luck on your collecting quest! :headbang:

One other word of advice I might give you. Buy the most expensive stuff you can afford to buy first then buy the cheaper stuff later on. Due to inflation, in the long run you'll spend a lot less money to get the same amount of books. :)

The longer you stay at it the more chance you have at completing it. I never thought years ago I would ever finish my run of Amazing. Now almost 30 years later I have completed collecting every issue published from 1959 to 1979 from Marvel. Good luck on your collecting quest! :headbang:

You ARE inspiring, brother..... I'd have trouble just figuring out what was needed for a complete Marvel collection.... really. THAT in itself is impressive. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. It would probably be best if we don't tell them what happens when the cute new girl starts at work and we start thinking about getting a new 'Vette to impress her...... and what becomes of the comics then lol

Edited by jimjum12

I like how you causally have AF15 but ASM1 is too expensive haha. I would gladly take either. I just picked up issues 83, 89, 91, 100, 149,152 ans 298 today. I have been looking for a issue 100 forever now. I am glad to have found one, even if it isn't in the very best condition.

You ARE inspiring, brother..... I'd have trouble just figuring out what was needed for a complete Marvel collection.... really. THAT in itself is impressive. GOD BLESS....

P.S. It would probably be best if we don't tell them what happens when the cute new girl starts at work and we start thinking about getting a new 'Vette to impress her...... and what becomes of the comics then lol

Thanks James. I really enjoyed putting together all the runs. And still enjoying hearing about how other people are building runs themselves. If anyone thinks they will never complete something...just keep at it. One day you may complete that run and all the time leading up to that is what makes collecting comics fun. :cloud9:

And this is what a complete Marvel set looks like. :insane:

2001: A Space Odyssey 1-10

A Date With Millie 1-7

Adventures on the Planet of the Apes 1-11

Amazing Adult Fantasy 7-14

Amazing Adventures #1-6

Amazing Adventures (Vol. 2) 1-39

Amazing Adventures (Vol. 3) 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

Amazing Spider-Man 1-199

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 1-13

Americas Best TV Comics NN

ARRGH! 1-5

Astonishing Tales 1-36

Avengers 1-190

Avengers Annual 1-9

Battle 62-70

Battlestar Galactica 1-10

Beware 1-8 (Becomes Tomb of Darkness with 9)

Big Jim's Pack #NN

Black Goliath 1-5

Black Panther 1-15

Captain America 100-240

Captain America Annual 1-4

Captain Marvel 1-62

Captain Savage 1-19

Cat 1-4

Chamber of Chills 1-25

Chamber of Darkness 1-8 (Becomes Monsters of the Prowl with 9)

Chamber of Darkness Special 1

Champions 1-17

Chili 1-26

Chili Special 1

Combat Kelly and the Deadly Dozen 1-9

Conan the Barbarian 1-105

Conan the Barbarian Annual 1-5

Crazy 1-3

Creatures on the Loose 10-37

Crypt of Shadows 1-21

Daredevil 1-161

Daredevil Annual 1-4

Dead of Night 1-11

The Deep 1

Defenders 1-78

Defenders Annual 1

Devil Dinosaur 1-9

Doc Savage 1-8

Doctor Strange 169-183

Doctor Strange 1-38

Doctor Strange Annual 1

Dynomutt 1-6

Eternals 1-19

Eternals Annual 1

Evel Knievel 1

Fantastic Four 1-213

Fantastic Four Annual 1-14

Fantasy Masterpieces 1-11

Fantasy Masterpiece (Vol. 2) 1

Fear 1-31

Flintstones 1-9

Frankenstein 1-18

Fun And Games 1-4

Ghost Rider 1-7

Ghost Rider 1-39

Giant-Size Avengers 1-5

Giant-Size Captain America 1

Giant-Size Captain Marvel 1

Giant-Size Chillers (Vol. 1) 1

Giant-Size Chillers (Vol. 2) 1-3

Giant-Size Conan 1-5

Giant-Size Creatures 1

Giant-Size Daredevil 1

Giant-Size Defenders 1-5

Giant-Size Doc Savage 1

Giant-Size Doctor Strange 1

Giant-Size Dracula 2-5

Giant-Size Fantastic Four 2-6

Giant-Size Hulk 1

Giant-Size Invaders 1

Giant-Size Iron Man 1

Giant-Size Kid Colt 1-3

Giant-Size Man-Thing 1-5

Giant-Size Marvel Triple Action 1-2

Giant-Size Master of Kung Fu 1-4

Giant-Size Power Man 1

Giant-Size Spider-Man 1-6

Giant-Size Super-Heroes 1

Giant-Size Super-Stars 1

Giant-Size Super-Villain Team-Up 1-2

Giant-Size Thor 1

Giant-Size Werewolf 2-5

Giant-Size X-Men 1-2

Godzilla 1-24

Groovy 1-3

Gunhawks 1-7

Gunslinger (Tex Dawson) 1-3

Gunsmoke Western 50-77

Harvey 1-6

Hero for Hire 1-16

Homer, The Happy Ghost 1-4

Howard the Duck 1-31

Howard the Duck Annual 1

Human Fly 1-19

Human Torch 1-8

Incredible Hulk 1-6

Incredible Hulk 102-242

Incredible Hulk Annual 1-8

Inhumans 1-12

Invaders 1-41

Invaders Annual 1

Iron Fist 1-15

Iron Man 1-129

Iron Man Annual 1-4

Iron Man and Submariner 1

Island Of Dr. Moreau 1

John Carter, Warlord of Mars 1-28

John Carter, Warlord of Mars Annual 1-3

Journey into Mystery 50-125 (Becomes Thor with 126)

Journey into Mystery Annual 1

Journey Into Mystery (Vol. 2) 1-19

Jungle Action 1-24

Kathy 1-27

Ka-Zar (Vol. 1) 1-3

Ka-Zar (Vol. 2) 1-20

Kid Colt Outlaw 82-229

Kull the Conqueror 1-10

Kull the Destroyer 11-29

Laff-A-Lympics 1-13

Life with Millie #8-20 (Becomes Modeling with Millie with 21)

Li'l Kids 1-12

Li'l Pals 1-5

Linda Carter Student Nurse 1-9

Logan's Run 1-7

Love Romances 79-106

Machine Man 1-12

Mad About Millie 1-16

Mad About Millie Annual 1

Man From Atlantis 1-7

Man-Thing (Vol. 1) 1-22

Man-Thing (Vol. 2) 1

Marvel Adventures 1-6

Marvel Chillers 1-7

Marvel Classics Comics 1-36

Marvel Collectors Items Classics 1-22 (becomes Marvel's Greatest Comics with 23)

Marvel Double Feature 1-21

Marvel Feature (Vol. 1) 1-12

Marvel Feature (Vol. 2) 1-7

Marvel Premiere 1-50

Marvel Presents 1-12

Marvel Spectacular 1-19

Marvel Spotlight (Vol. 1) 1-33

Marvel Spotlight (Vol. 2) 1-3

Marvel Super Action 1-14

Marvel Super-Heroes 1, 12-85

Marvel Tales 1-110

Marvel Team-Up 1-88

Marvel Team-Up Annual 1-2

Marvel Triple Action 1-47

Marvel Two-In-One 1-58

Marvel Two-In-One Annual 1-4

Marvel's Greatest Comics 23-83

Master Of Kung Fu 17-83

Master Of Kung Fu Annual 1

Micronauts 1-12

Micronauts Annual 1

Mighty Marvel Western 1-46

Millie The Model 88-207

Millie The Model Annual 1-12

Modeling with Millie 21-54

Monsters On The Prowl 9-30

Ms. Marvel 1-23

My Girl Pearl #7-11

My Love 1-39

My Love Special Edition 1

My Own Romances #67-76

Nick Fury 1-15

Nick Fury and His Agents of SHIELD 1-5

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD 16-18

Night Nurse 1-4

Night Rider 1-6

Not Brand Ecch 1-13

Nova 1-25

Omega The Unknown 1-10

Our Love Story 1-38

Outlaw Kid 1-30

Patsy Walker 81-124

Patsy Walker Fashion Parade 1

Patsy and Hedy 62-110

Patsy and Hedy Annual 1

Peter The Little Pest 1-4

Power Man 17-49

Power Man and Iron Fist 50-60

Power Man Annual 1

Pussycat 1

Rawhide Kid 17-151

Rawhide Kid Special 1

Red Sonja 1-15

Red Wolf 1-9

Ringo Kid 1-30

ROM: Space Knight 1

Scooby-Doo 1-9

Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos 1-155

Sgt. Fury Annual 1-7

Shanna the She-Devil 1-5

Shogun Warriors 1-11

Silver Surfer 1-18

Skull the Slayer 1-8

Son of Satan 1-8

Special Marvel Edition 1-16 (Becomes Master of Kung-fu with 17)

Spectacular Spider-Man 1-37

Spectacular Spider-Man Annual 1

Spider-Woman 1-21

Spidey Super Stories 1-43

Spoof 1-5

Spotlight 1-4

Star Team NN

Star Wars 1-30

Star Wars Annual 1

Strange Tales 67-188

Strange Tales Annual 1, 2

Strange Worlds 1-5

Sub-Mariner 1-72

Sub-Mariner Annual 1-2

Supernatural Thrillers 1-15

Super-Villain Team-Up 1-16

Tales of Asgard 1

Tales of Suspense 1-99 (Becomes Cap with 100)

Tales to Astonish 1-101 (Becomes Hulk with 102)

Tales To Astonish (Vol. 2) 1

Tarzan 1-29

Tarzan Annual 1-3

Teen Age Romance 77-86

Thor 126-290

Thor Annual 2-8

Tomb of Darkness 9-23

Tomb of Dracula 1-70

Tower of Shadows 1-9 (Becomes Creatures on the Loose with 10)

Tower of Shadows Special 1

TV Stars 1-4

Two-Gun Kid 46-136

Uncanny Tales 1-12

Vault of Evil 1-23

War Is Hell 1-15

Warlock 1-15

Weird Wonder Tales 1-22

Werewolf By Night 1-43

Western Gunfighters 1-33

Western Kid 1-5

Western Team-Up 1

What If…? 1-18

Where Creatures Roam 1-8

Where Monsters Dwell 1-38

Worlds of Fantasy #16-19

Worlds Unknown 1-8

Wyatt Earp 21-34

X-Men 1-128

X-Men Annual 1-3

Yogi Bear 1-9

lol

I did that! Not for the cute girl(wife wouldn't like that) but I sold off all my good stuff back in 2006 to buy a new 2007 Vette. :facepalm:

Thanks James. I really enjoyed putting together all the runs. And still enjoying hearing about how other people are building runs themselves. If anyone thinks they will never complete something...just keep at it. One day you may complete that run and all the time leading up to that is what makes collecting comics fun. :cloud9:

Yogi Bear 1-9

NOW I'm jealous!

:kidaround:

Yogi Bear 1-9

NOW I'm jealous!

:kidaround:

Loved collecting the Hanna Barbara comics. Also not the easiest runs to complete. :cloud9:

Thanks for the tips in here on the last page. I try to pick up some of the expensive ones, but with my collection being in the early stages, it is hard. Right now I want to see the numbers grow, so in my mind the more books the better.

I will say that I will have to come up with some kind of "Grail Account" if I ever plan on getting ASM 1-14, or getting AF 15. Also not sure if it is a good idea, but I wanted to be able to read them all and the ones I liked try to get in higher grades.

Will be posting in here more in the future hopefully as I get more. As I've gotten older, to me, a nice defined collection is looking so much better than the mess I've done in the past where I just go for a little of everything.

I like how you causally have AF15 but ASM1 is too expensive haha. I would gladly take either. I just picked up issues 83, 89, 91, 100, 149,152 ans 298 today. I have been looking for a issue 100 forever now. I am glad to have found one, even if it isn't in the very best condition.

lol i guess that didnt make much sense. AF15 is obviously the more valuable book now but i got it 5 years ago when prices on the early keys did not explode like they did in the past 2-3 years.

Getting even a .5 of AF15 is very expensive now. And ASM1 i would want a 1.0 cgc but thats gone way up now too.

Edited by jason4