• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2021 at 1:15 PM, DST said:

Well today is the day!  The final piece, ASM#7 has been found, has arrived, and is now in hand completing my linear run of AF15, ASM 1-20, and Annual 1 all in the same grade and page quality (5.0 White Pages).

This project started back in January 2019.  I had already had an ASM1 and ASM14 both in grade 5.0 in my collection.  It was during this month that I upgraded my AF15 from a 4.0 WP to 5.0 WP, which made this entire run a possibility.  From there I set my sights on procuring the original Sinister Six first appearances and Annual 1 all in the same grade and page quality.  I bought the Annual 1 first, a 5.0 WP to match my AF15 and ASM1, and over the next few months picked up the rest of 2, 3, 4, 9, 13 and 15.  I sacrificed some big books in my collection, including an X-Men 1 3.5 WP and DD1 4.5 WP to finance these purchases and make this all happen.  Nothing makes me happier than collecting ASM, so even though it was extremely difficult to part with those big SA keys, I don't regret it, especially with where I sit now.  By November 2019 I had acquired all of the first appearance and crossover keys between AF15/ASM1 and ASM20 (notably 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 13, 14, 15 and 16.  I thought I was done, but the collecting itch remained to fill in the gaps and make it a complete run from 1-20.  I know the completionists out there will suggest I acquire ST Annual 2, FF Annual 1, TTA 57, and ST 115, but I'm good with keeping this run all within the ASM title, with the exception of AF15 of course.  Two years later, on November 3rd, 2021, while I was sitting in an autobody shop parking lot at 8:30am waiting for my car's state inspection to be done, the final piece, ASM7, popped up on the ebay app on my phone.  I clicked buy it now, finally completing/accomplishing my goal :acclaim:

1798456817_DSTCOMICS5.0WPPROJECT.thumb.jpg.6beff793637d6377efd82d9f46063fc4.jpg

If you'll all indulge me, in the next few posts I'll do a little countdown from ASM20 to AF15 so you can see all of the books individually.  Thanks to everyone on the boards who kept their eyes peeled and supported me along this journey.

:tink:

this makes me so happy!!!

On 11/11/2021 at 2:41 PM, Drummy said:

As I expected, most of the eye appeal here is off the charts for VG/FN books, especially the AF 15 and the ASM 1!  Congrats, Dave, on your accomplishments and thanks also of thinking of me when you sold the AF 15 in 4.0!  

Superb run,

Dan

i know we're only f.c. grading, but many look sooo much better than the number.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, DST said:

Well today is the day!  The final piece, ASM#7 has been found, has arrived, and is now in hand completing my linear run of AF15, ASM 1-20, and Annual 1 all in the same grade and page quality (5.0 White Pages).

This project started back in January 2019.  I had already had an ASM1 and ASM14 both in grade 5.0 in my collection.  It was during this month that I upgraded my AF15 from a 4.0 WP to 5.0 WP, which made this entire run a possibility.  From there I set my sights on procuring the original Sinister Six first appearances and Annual 1 all in the same grade and page quality.  I bought the Annual 1 first, a 5.0 WP to match my AF15 and ASM1, and over the next few months picked up the rest of 2, 3, 4, 9, 13 and 15.  I sacrificed some big books in my collection, including an X-Men 1 3.5 WP and DD1 4.5 WP to finance these purchases and make this all happen.  Nothing makes me happier than collecting ASM, so even though it was extremely difficult to part with those big SA keys, I don't regret it, especially with where I sit now.  By November 2019 I had acquired all of the first appearance and crossover keys between AF15/ASM1 and ASM20 (notably 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 13, 14, 15 and 16.  I thought I was done, but the collecting itch remained to fill in the gaps and make it a complete run from 1-20.  I know the completionists out there will suggest I acquire ST Annual 2, FF Annual 1, TTA 57, and ST 115, but I'm good with keeping this run all within the ASM title, with the exception of AF15 of course.  Two years later, on November 3rd, 2021, while I was sitting in an autobody shop parking lot at 8:30am waiting for my car's state inspection to be done, the final piece, ASM7, popped up on the ebay app on my phone.  I clicked buy it now, finally completing/accomplishing my goal :acclaim:

If you'll all indulge me, in the next few posts I'll do a little countdown from ASM20 to AF15 so you can see all of the books individually.  Thanks to everyone on the boards who kept their eyes peeled and supported me along this journey.

Congrats Dave on this incredible accomplishment, extremely happy for you!!! :applause:(worship)  That is such a beautiful run of books and I've always loved the symmetrical focus of your white page Spidey collection, so impressive and difficult to attain!!  Can't stop looking at all those great issues.  Took a lot of sacrifice and determination but well worth the effort.  Now we'll need to find your next collecting goal once you're ready to get back to it, after a well deserved break :bigsmile:

On 11/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, DST said:

Just beautiful Dave. Congratulations 

On 11/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, DST said:

Just incredible, congrats! I bet you couldn't hit that BIN fast enough.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, DST said:

Congrats on this "amazing" accomplishment!

I agree with what others have said, and think your copies present much better than their grades...