• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,700 posts in this topic

A recent downgrade with a Kirby autograph from www.metropoliscomics.com GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF8cgc65.jpg

Great looking copy. :applause:

I've had good luck with 097*********** serial numbers....this one's coming out of the slab eventually. I wanted to have it by Baltimore to have Stan sign it also, but Metro had it at Chicago....still cool. GOD BLESS....

FF #6 is an early FF that I always wanted after reading the reprint in FF Annual #3. That was the 1st time I read #6.

It was great story-telling, especially since the villains of the two previous issues were now "teamed-up"...was great in itself and a smart move on Stan & Jacks part.

I still don't have a copy. :(

Anyway Congrats...

FF #6 is an early FF that I always wanted after reading the reprint in FF Annual #3. That was the 1st time I read #6.

It was great story-telling, especially since the villains of the two previous issues were now "teamed-up"...was great in itself and a smart move on Stan & Jacks part.

I still don't have a copy. :(

Anyway Congrats...

.....it's also the first Yancey Street Gang. GOD BLESS...

Ok... maybe some stupid questions, maybe not. But you guys are the FF 'experts' here. I collected the heck out of FF from 1978-1983 or so. I had 80% of the issues including #1 and a bunch of early issues. I had to sell my collection to pay for college back in 1983. I still miss those issues and would love to get going again. I recently picked up a group of seven 12 centers from a board member just for the heck of it. I am a school teacher. My funds are not unlimited. I see FF's in high grades going for BIG BUCKS. I can't afford to spend that kind of money. I might be able to do the majority of the 12 centers in 7-8 (CGC graded) and the first 10-12 issues in 3-5. My questions are: Is that worth the effort? Is there any point to having them graded if they aren't of the pristine type when it comes to Silver Age? Any input would be appreciated.

Sam

Do you prefer to read and hold them? Or is the display and security of a certified grade more important to you? It is probably safer to purchase the more expensive books, i.e., #1 to #12 CGC graded from reputable sources.You'll pay more initially, but you'll be secure in the grade with a restoration check. If your the high risk gambling type, you could make (or lose) more if you buy them raw, if you ever decide to sell.

If I was looking to purchase 3.5-ish grades, I would tend to look for CGC graded books and go for as best page quality as possible, with the nicest presentation of the book as possible. Shopping around and patience is a must for the most bang for the buck.

I have all of the Marvel Masterworks, so I can look at the stories without opening the books. I'm not into anything for the money. But, that being said, I don't want to be cheated either. So you think that those early books in 3-5 are worth going after?