• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,705 posts in this topic

Personal descision. If I had the money, I would get raw copies from reputable sources, as reading copies. If I spend with wisdom, I would think, in due time, at the least, I would be able to recoup my money, if I ever wanted to sell. I have most of the reprints, in color and black and white, but I prefer reading and holding the actual comics, takes me back. But thats just me.

So you think that those early books in 3-5 are worth going after?

Why not? Not everyone can pay nose-bleed prices for books. There are some nice low grade copies that can present very well. Nice to have them in hand and read them too. Remember, you can always upgrade if more funds become available later on, and sell the undercopy.

DR.X

So you think that those early books in 3-5 are worth going after?

Why not? Not everyone can pay nose-bleed prices for books. There are some nice low grade copies that can present very well. Nice to have them in hand and read them too. Remember, you can always upgrade if more funds become available later on, and sell the undercopy.

DR.X

Especially for keys...3 to 4 years ago you could snap up VG FF 5s all day for $200 to $250 a pop...today they go for $700-750 and up! :cloud9:

I thought the ship had long since sailed for me to get a nice copy of this one. Very little work done on a book that looks more like a 9.0. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF5.jpg

Fabulous. What a book. Well done

:golfclap:

....thanks. It's really noticeable how LITTLE work ws actually done to this book. There's a 3/8's inch tear seal by Reeds foot with color touch and what looks like one and possibly two small areas on the spine. This book would have probably been a 7.5 before the resto. It does have one small stain that probably garnered the 8.0 grade.....really looks every bit of 9.0. I'm very happy with it....having it in hand really seems to dispell the cloud of "resto stigma". As for the topic of buying earlier FF's in affordable grades....there's nothing like the actual book in hand. You could do like I do, buy the Omnibus(it has the letter pages for each issue also) and then only buy vintage copies of your very favorites....you can then afford a nicer copy of those. GOD BLESS...

Nice color on that one too. It's not easy to find an FF 5 with a blue colored cover.....most are grayed out from the tanning or yellowing of the cover stock. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Brian, do you know who did the work on my FF 5 ?

Ok... maybe some stupid questions, maybe not. But you guys are the FF 'experts' here. I collected the heck out of FF from 1978-1983 or so. I had 80% of the issues including #1 and a bunch of early issues. I had to sell my collection to pay for college back in 1983. I still miss those issues and would love to get going again. I recently picked up a group of seven 12 centers from a board member just for the heck of it. I am a school teacher. My funds are not unlimited. I see FF's in high grades going for BIG BUCKS. I can't afford to spend that kind of money. I might be able to do the majority of the 12 centers in 7-8 (CGC graded) and the first 10-12 issues in 3-5. My questions are: Is that worth the effort? Is there any point to having them graded if they aren't of the pristine type when it comes to Silver Age? Any input would be appreciated.

Sam

As it has been said buying CGC graded issues insures that there is no restoration. Last thing I want to do is drop big coin on restored books. I only want original stuff I have been putting together a FF run 1-100...3,5,6 - 30 and 48 - 50 are all CGC slabs then I have bought nice raw examples filling out the rest of the run.

I look for low grade cgc slabs the have nice cover appeal and good pg quality. Kind of pissed I did'nt jump on a nice FF #4 3.0 had a clean cover with no chipping it just sold on E bay. I am putting the collection together for the enjoment of completeing a nice run not the over alll value of the run.

So depending on what your focus and mind set is why not buy lower grade slabbed copies

Can't let the FF thread stay on page two for very long...

Here's my latest that I thought I might never find with a 'white pages' designation. Not that CGC is always perfect in this regard, but it's important to my anal collecting nature, as Tom can easily tell you!

Here she is, a gorgeous #29:

FF29.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Dan