• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,815 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2024 at 8:57 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

There was a guy that was scamming CGC by switching high grade books with low grade books and getting the books re-holdered. CGC put out a list of 350 books that were affected.

Ewwwww

On 4/3/2024 at 6:41 PM, KirbyJack said:

I used to feel exactly the same way. 

But after some great interactions with boardies like Jon Berk and the ever-effervescent Billy Parker, I honestly believe that the “big dogs” are NOT looking down on anyone’s collection.

I think people here just want us to be genuinely enthusiastic about our comics; whatever they may be. 

that's a fack, jack---literally!!

On 4/3/2024 at 7:41 PM, KirbyJack said:

I used to feel exactly the same way. 

But after some great interactions with boardies like Jon Berk and the ever-effervescent Billy Parker, I honestly believe that the “big dogs” are NOT looking down on anyone’s collection.

I think people here just want us to be genuinely enthusiastic about our comics; whatever they may be. 

+1,000,000

On 4/4/2024 at 5:58 PM, KirbyJack said:

We do have some great people here that can rekindle the joy.  
IMG_1787.thumb.jpeg.5f8a2a91a3eed80380521eda4bd985b8.jpeg

The stuff in the books is good for that too. 

Si!

Ok - tangent - any info on the backstory on why Ben is called “Thing” in first couple issues (or was it just the first issue only? I can’t recall) and subsequently “The Thing”.

I always thought “Thing” read so awkwardly in sentences - maybe that alone is the reason for the switch. 

PS - this thread is just pure gold to me -

for soooo many reasons. The books themselves are not the main reason.

you guys rock

On 4/5/2024 at 12:22 AM, TheComicsPreacher said:

Ok - tangent - any info on the backstory on why Ben is called “Thing” in first couple issues (or was it just the first issue only? I can’t recall) and subsequently “The Thing”.

I always thought “Thing” read so awkwardly in sentences - maybe that alone is the reason for the switch. 

For the same reason that, if you were speaking to him, you'd call Norrin Radd, "Surfer", or The Vision, "Vision". You wouldn't ever say; "Hey, The Hulk, come have some beans!"

Happily, they stopped referring to him as "Thing", and just went with "Ben".

Edited by KirbyJack

On 4/5/2024 at 4:18 AM, KirbyJack said:

For the same reason that, if you were speaking to him, you'd call Norrin Radd, "Surfer", or The Vision, "Vision". You wouldn't ever say; "Hey, The Hulk, come have some beans!"

Happily, they stopped referring to him as "Thing", and just went with "Ben".

Makes sense , but I think it even happened in the narration? I could be wrong.

On 4/5/2024 at 9:16 AM, Straw-Man said:

sorta fell into my lap; been w/o one for awhile, so glad to have it!  spidey grr came with it, headin' over there now...

ff1GRR.jpg

What in the f-ing...???

Sorry, I probably just sound like a sycophant at this point, but... just (worship)

Well - now I know which cohort has been hoarding all the FF diamonds! You sure wouldn't expect to find the likes of these on Yancy Street...

On 4/5/2024 at 9:16 AM, Straw-Man said:

sorta fell into my lap; been w/o one for awhile, so glad to have it!  spidey grr came with it, headin' over there now...

ff1GRR.jpg

Feel into your lap?  Care to elaborate.  I have a lap that could use one of those.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:55 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Feel into your lap?  

I’m just telling myself “it’s a typo”.

Over and over again. 

Just a typo.