• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,709 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2024 at 9:09 AM, Corvonie said:

WHOA! Congrats! That is a beauty!  PS has anyone here published a guide or rig setup for shooting slabs?  I can't ever seem to get a good pic.

Somewhere around here @paqart posted pix of his picture-taking set-up which was awesome, but I can't remember if he was doing both slabs and raws or just raws.  I agree with KJ - I seem to have the best success outside.  It's very difficult to eliminate reflections.

On 3/12/2024 at 11:09 AM, Corvonie said:

WHOA! Congrats! That is a beauty!  PS has anyone here published a guide or rig setup for shooting slabs?  I can't ever seem to get a good pic.

Have you seen my pictures? For some reason, I can't get a picture of one of my comics that isn't crooked. I have been able to eliminate most of the glare.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:28 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Somewhere around here @paqart posted pix of his picture-taking set-up which was awesome, but I can't remember if he was doing both slabs and raws or just raws.  I agree with KJ - I seem to have the best success outside.  It's very difficult to eliminate reflections.

I haven't shot CGC slabs, but have shot some cards with the same problem, photography-wise.

Charizard 6-165 Front.jpg

Charizard 39-165 Front.jpg

Crobat 147-144 Front.jpg

Crobat H5-H32 Front.jpg

On 3/12/2024 at 9:28 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Once again, I'm wowed by the generosity of this community.  Thanks @Math Teacher and @paqart for your input.  And thanks @MattTheDuck for taking a break from beating me to the punch on every FF book in a sales thread to offer advice as well :grin:

On 2/14/2024 at 1:43 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Love who they casted for FF. Feels like it should be a solid lineup.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/fantastic-four-cast-pedro-pascal-vanessa-kirby-marvel-movie-1235825543/

Pedro-Pascal-Vanessa-Kirby-Joseph-Quinn-Ebon-Moss-Bachrach.webp

I'm very, very happy with this casting (I don't know much about Vanessa Kirby, but have heard good things).  My current pick for Doom would be Matthew Rhys.   He's the right age, not a body builder type, can be charming but there's this darkness that's always underneath it all and when he flips it's absolutely terrifying.  And if anyone can emote only with his eyes, it's him. I like Bardem for Galactus, but also think they might be picking him because they were like "who has a gigantic head?"  I have no pick for surfer yet.  Who're yours for the ancillary characters?

On 3/12/2024 at 7:08 PM, Corvonie said:

Once again, I'm wowed by the generosity of this community.  Thanks @Math Teacher and @paqart for your input.  And thanks @MattTheDuck for taking a break from beating me to the punch on every FF book in a sales thread to offer advice as well :grin:

Just trying to protect you from yourself.  One of the little services I provide around here.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:38 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Just trying to protect you from yourself.  One of the little services I provide around here.

I mean, to be real, you're not wrong!  Someone bought Dr Xs slabbed #57 and I was like "THANK GOD I DON'T NEED TO BUY A 3RD COPY OF THAT."  I'm an unrepentant ho for that issue (and like 95 others under issue #100).

On 3/12/2024 at 7:41 PM, Corvonie said:

I mean, to be real, you're not wrong!  Someone bought Dr Xs slabbed #57 and I was like "THANK GOD I DON'T NEED TO BUY A 3RD COPY OF THAT."  I'm an unrepentant ho for that issue (and like 95 others under issue #100).

I'm the same with #73 (of which I have 3) because it's the first book I bought off the rack as a kid and still have.  Read that thing to death.

On 3/12/2024 at 7:13 PM, Corvonie said:

I'm very, very happy with this casting (I don't know much about Vanessa Kirby, but have heard good things).  My current pick for Doom would be Matthew Rhys.   He's the right age, not a body builder type, can be charming but there's this darkness that's always underneath it all and when he flips it's absolutely terrifying.  And if anyone can emote only with his eyes, it's him. I like Bardem for Galactus, but also think they might be picking him because they were like "who has a gigantic head?"  I have no pick for surfer yet.  Who're yours for the ancillary characters?

Yeah Vanessa is a great actress. Was awesome in the FF spinoff, Hobbs and Shaw. I haven’t thought of the other roles as much. I like Cillian Murphy for Doom though, and agree Bardem is a solid choice for Galactus.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:55 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm the same with #73 (of which I have 3) because it's the first book I bought off the rack as a kid and still have.  Read that thing to death.

That's how I feel about Avengers #93 (my first Marvel), but my favorite story was the Thing gladiator series from FF 90-94.

On 3/12/2024 at 6:47 AM, Corvonie said:

The more I reread this run,  the more I can literally find places where it's like Stan is turning the page and seeing the artwork and just having his characters react at the same time he is as he goes along. A lot of the clumsiness in some of these issues I think comes from that.  The last one that struck me is the first panel of page 18 of FF 58.  It's like such an awkward way to start the page verbally, and it feels like Jack's intention for the pacing was not something where Reed is telling Wyatt not to shoot and he can't tell why even though there's his best friend on fire in between him and the target.

Thanks for turning me onto this thread man! I see many (hopefully) friendly faces here.

Have you ever listened to The Fantasticast podcast? I feel like you would like their content - I always loved them for their “Stan comments” - funny as hell British humor about clumsy Stan, but also very smart, fair, and on-point. Upshot is Stan prob deserves many of the jabs we all like to send his way these days - but not all. Very interesting tidbits those hosts had to share on that show.

One of  my absolute favorite episodes from that podcast included a wonderful 15 minute diversion that their regular programming to simply reflect on a fan letter they had received from a comic artist listener who described an absolutely magical encounter with Kirby toward the end of Kirby’s life - in Jack’s own home! The guy apparently broke through Kirby‘s wall, which was thick as a fortress towards the end of Jack’s life as I’m sure you know, and was able to convince Jack he was just an artist who was just trying to fully appreciate his comic art hero. Jack took the bait - and invited him to his own home for tea with his wife! I believe this was in the 90’s, but not 100% sure on date. Anyways, after further inspection at teatime, Jack decided he liked the guy even more and invited him into his back of the house drawing studio - where he was STILL creating magical fresh ideas on paper (he said “he just couldn’t stop”) - - many of those ideas/sketches apparently have still not seen the light of day!

Love that Jack story.

And while I am on a rant…One last bit that I have been constantly debating is, now that he’s gone …do we keep calling him “Jack” or do we call him by his given name “Jacob”, the name he was essentially forced to forgo in the face of anti-Semitism during his early comic book years (like so many others)?

I suspect he would prefer the latter, but I always wanted to ask a member of his family this question…

Edited by TheComicsPreacher

I've been stuck at one copy since about 1974, but this section of the run is probably due for an upgrade.  A lower-grade copy, obviously a garage-sale refugee although I'm pretty sure I picked it up from Apache Books which is where I bought the bulk of my Silver Age books in those days.

FF - 57.jpg