• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,814 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2024 at 2:27 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'd be in today, but I declined a $10 remaindered copy of this book in 1974.

Very nice books, everyone!

1974?

I'd have turned it down, too.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:31 PM, KirbyJack said:

1974?

I'd have turned it down, too.

Might have been 1975 - all I know is I had to have my mom drive me over to look at it so it had to be before 1976.  I had previously told the LCS owner that I was looking for some older Silver Age books like that one but by that time I had all the chewed-up, low grade books I needed (all of which, of course, I still have).  Man, was I disappointed.  What I wanted was reasonably nice, complete books, but after I turned the #10 down, he never called me again although I continued shopping there for a few more years.

I started getting serious in 1988, and I had put out an APB on FF 1. I got a call a couple of months later, but with the opposite problem: the book was too nice! VF, $900, and I had the money !

I turned it down.
The most I had spent up to that point was $75, and my family thought I was nuts to do that. It was the biggest regret of my comic life, and the last time I let public opinion make a decision for me. 

On 4/10/2024 at 2:28 PM, KirbyJack said:

I started getting serious in 1988, and I had put out an APB on FF 1. I got a call a couple of months later, but with the opposite problem: the book was too nice! VF, $900, and I had the money !

I turned it down.
The most I had spent up to that point was $75, and my family thought I was nuts to do that. It was the biggest regret of my comic life, and the last time I let public opinion make a decision for me. 

I just never had a shot at any books like that, sad to say, but I was way too passive.  The most I paid during my "first phase" of collecting was $30 for a really nice ASM #94 and $25 for a JIM #113 that was marked as "Fine."  Almost every other back issue I bought from 1973-1978 was $1.00 or less, but again, the quality of most of these books is not particularly high.  It was not until 1992 that I breached the three-digit barrier when I had another brief burst of collecting and picked up a very, very nice ASM #19 for $100 when, on a whim while on a work trip, I stopped at an LCS in the southern part of the State.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:28 PM, KirbyJack said:

I turned it down.

Thanks for sharing that (painful) story because it's so relatable. I've also had to rehearse in my mind many deals that didn't happen because I didn't yes to the offer. For me, items I sold that I should have kept have been a bigger source of pain (like when I sold a FF 1 that was beat but complete for $200...a little tear welling up as I type). Whenever possible I try to buy that book I missed out on or sold in a slightly higher grade or with a signature or pedigree so that the  replacement is "better". At least that's the mind game I play. Obviously, that's easier said than done when it comes to big ticket books. 

Edited by Lee Enterprises
typos