• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
10 10

2,042 posts in this topic

My pockets arent as deep as Caseys so im staying away from SA until I can afford it

:sorry:

With the SA, it's really not as critical to buy only ultra-high grades. Consider the CGC census.

There are 72 copies of XM #141 in CGC 9.8

There are a total of 72 copies of XM #42 in CGC 8.5 through 9.6

Therefore, a humble #42 in 8.5 is as rare as a #141 in 9.8 . Looking at it from that perspective, the SA issues don't seem overpriced to me.

If you've been collecting BA books, I suppose that you would get used to the idea that anything less than 9.6 or 9.8 is practically worthless. And with such a large population of top-graded copies available, this makes sense.

With the SA books, this just isn't so.

2c2c2c

My pockets arent as deep as Caseys so im staying away from SA until I can afford it

With the SA, it's really not as critical to buy only ultra-high grades. Consider the CGC census.

Therefore, a humble #42 in 8.5 is as rare as a #141 in 9.8 . Looking at it from that perspective, the SA issues don't seem overpriced to me.

If you've been collecting BA books, I suppose that you would get used to the idea that anything less than 9.6 or 9.8 is practically worthless. And with such a large population of top-graded copies available, this makes sense.

2c2c2c

That is a very good point, Rhonda. It is one of the reasons I "settle" for 9.6's in my modern colection.

Do you plan on venturing into the world of HG copper?

I do own a few HG copper. I especially like J. Michael Straczynski 's Amazing Spider-man. I also have some MacFarlane Spidey's.

I don't know if they are any good as an investment, but I like them and they are affordable. :gossip:

How about you, Danny. What direction will you go in after you complete your Bronze / Copper run?

2c2c2c

That is a very good point, Rhonda. It is one of the reasons I "settle" for 9.6's in my modern colection.

I like 9.6 books too. After all, I can't really tell the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 anyway. :gossip:

I like 9.6 books too. After all, I can't really tell the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 anyway. :gossip:

I've had the same experience, many of my 9.6's look like 9.8's to me. Actually if you look in the Comic grading forum, in the 9.0-10.0 thread I posted my scans of X-Men 164 in 9.6 and 9.8. The 9.6 actually looks better than the 9.8. Probably won't be able to tell in the scans but it just does.

And when the 9.6 looks just as good as a 9.8, I can't seem to justify the crazy premiums for SA 9.8's

I do own a few HG copper. I especially like J. Michael Straczynski 's Amazing Spider-man. I also have some MacFarlane Spidey's.

I don't know if they are any good as an investment, but I like them and they are affordable. :gossip:

How about you, Danny. What direction will you go in after you complete your Bronze / Copper run?

After I finish my run I need to start paying off my CCs :insane:

After I finish my run I need to start paying off my CCs :insane:

Sounds like s perfect person for the organ black market...you don't need two kidneys :kidaround:

An interesting thought for those who are closing in on completing their runs after having filled the gaps or upgraded them to the pint you are happy with...what happens next?

I've been thinking about it since i am getting to the point of completing my run (slowly but surely) and considering what to do next. Upgrading will be next on the list and i still collect the current issues as they arrive. Will the thought be to keep collecting 9.8's or the best available grade of each issue even past the registry sets listed.

A nice dream would be to bring together a collection of the best graded copies of each issue...even though the cost would be amazing to say the least.

What plans have you thought of once you complete your runs?

An interesting thought for those who are closing in on completing their runs after having filled the gaps or upgraded them to the pint you are happy with...what happens next?

I've been thinking about it since i am getting to the point of completing my run (slowly but surely) and considering what to do next. Upgrading will be next on the list and i still collect the current issues as they arrive. Will the thought be to keep collecting 9.8's or the best available grade of each issue even past the registry sets listed.

A nice dream would be to bring together a collection of the best graded copies of each issue...even though the cost would be amazing to say the least.

When I get close to finishing my x-men 1-450 set, I'd probably work on my SA and BA X-men crossover collection. And maybe some other keys like FF48-50 or Hulk 180-182.

Pick a different title and work on completing that one, only maybe not as high grade. Just white pages or something like that. Maybe quit and just sell everything. Depends on the mood. If I quit, I would miss some of the people in the board though. Just a thought. hm