• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
10 10

2,042 posts in this topic

An interesting thought for those who are closing in on completing their runs after having filled the gaps or upgraded them to the pint you are happy with...what happens next?

I've been thinking about it since i am getting to the point of completing my run (slowly but surely) and considering what to do next. Upgrading will be next on the list and i still collect the current issues as they arrive. Will the thought be to keep collecting 9.8's or the best available grade of each issue even past the registry sets listed.

A nice dream would be to bring together a collection of the best graded copies of each issue...even though the cost would be amazing to say the least.

What plans have you thought of once you complete your runs?

I really don't know if I'll ever stop upgrading my 1-66 run. After all, once I start needing 9.4 or a 9.6 to upgrade any issue, the process will surely slow down.

At some point, I'll probably turn more of my attention toward the 94-143 run. After that, who knows? Perhaps I'll work on my ASM run.

An interesting thought for those who are closing in on completing their runs after having filled the gaps or upgraded them to the pint you are happy with...what happens next?

I've been thinking about it since i am getting to the point of completing my run (slowly but surely) and considering what to do next. Upgrading will be next on the list and i still collect the current issues as they arrive. Will the thought be to keep collecting 9.8's or the best available grade of each issue even past the registry sets listed.

A nice dream would be to bring together a collection of the best graded copies of each issue...even though the cost would be amazing to say the least.

I'm getting close to finishing my 94-143 run. I might even put together the top scoring run if I can find a 9.8 copy of 107. [Don't look back Dr. Watson :hi:] When I'm done with that one, I'll focus more on my Amazing Spider-Man 100-200 run which should keep me occupied for quite a while.

I've picked up some nice bronze Thors and Captain Americas recently which are fun and challenging because the census numbers are much lower than for the more mainstream titles.

I'm also getting close to finishing my Wolverine 1-189 run and my pre-Unity Valiants and Valiant variants. Next up in the copper/modern age is finishing my copper X-Men and Amazing Spidey runs.

I'm getting close to finishing my 94-143 run. I might even put together the top scoring run if I can find a 9.8 copy of 107. [Don't look back Dr. Watson :hi:] When I'm done with that one, I'll focus more on my Amazing Spider-Man 100-200 run which should keep me occupied for quite a while.

I've picked up some nice bronze Thors and Captain Americas recently which are fun and challenging because the census numbers are much lower than for the more mainstream titles.

I'm also getting close to finishing my Wolverine 1-189 run and my pre-Unity Valiants and Valiant variants. Next up in the copper/modern age is finishing my copper X-Men and Amazing Spidey runs.

nail.gif

Personally...

It would be a shame to such great sets be broken up and sold off. I can just see it now.... "from the Dr Watson or MutantKeys (insert another name of your choosing) collection". I will not say pedigree because of the uproar which would ensue from making such a claim, but i don't see why a collection that was purchased from various sources second hand cannot be considered the same as an original owner collection. You had a greater chance of being able to collect a mint copy of x-men #1 from the rack than you do today of finding let alone purchasing the same copy. Plus trying to find those issues that are worthy enough to be included are harder today (in my opinion) than they were back then.

Yes I know that there are a lot more avenues for finding that one elusive issue, but that doesn't make it any easier at times. That's the one thing good about our hobby, we can have nice heated arguments but still remember the ties that bind us...a love for those madcap, misunderstood, merry marvel mutants (and no i do not have to pay a residual fee to Stan Lee)

It would be a shame to such great sets be broken up and sold off.

I have bought a couple collections in the past year from guys who started a run and then couldn't finish because life interrupted or their interests changed. I like taking something that someone has started and carrying it on. And they appreciated the fact that I would keep their books together, add to them, and register them so they could periodically check in and see how I'm doing. Some are even keeping an eye out for the last few elusive issues I need to finish runs so that they can still participate in the joy of collecting without a lot of expense.

MK and the Doctor have both put together runs that need to be finished. And if for some reason they can't finish them, or choose to pass them on before they finish, then I also hope that the runs stay together and get finished.

I'm getting close to finishing my 94-143 run. I might even put together the top scoring run if I can find a 9.8 copy of 107. [Don't look back Dr. Watson :hi:]

nail.gif

lol That's right Doctor. By this time next week I'll be number two and then it's all about catching you :devil:

Fellow X-Fans...

I bought this on the Sunday night Heritage auction. As much as I hate to (1) buy raw books (2) pay the buyer's premium, I just had to have this book.

x33.jpg

pink_hair_girl.gif

Heritage graded it 9.4 . If it is, then I'm extremely happy about the price I paid. Does anyone have any experience to know how accurate Heritage usually is?

Fellow X-Fans...

I bought this on the Sunday night Heritage auction. As much as I hate to (1) buy raw books (2) pay the buyer's premium, I just had to have this book.

x33.jpg

pink_hair_girl.gif

Heritage graded it 9.4 . If it is, then I'm extremely happy about the price I paid. Does anyone have any experience to know how accurate Heritage usually is?

All Heritage books are restored...i'll but that one for $5 :baiting:

I'm getting close to finishing my 94-143 run. I might even put together the top scoring run if I can find a 9.8 copy of 107. [Don't look back Dr. Watson :hi:]

nail.gif

lol That's right Doctor. By this time next week I'll be number two and then it's all about catching you :devil:

Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown.

Fellow X-Fans...

x33.jpg

pink_hair_girl.gif

Very nice book and they are usually spot on.

Fellow X-Fans...

I bought this on the Sunday night Heritage auction......

All Heritage books are restored...i'll but that one for $5 :baiting:

:cry:

Fellow Mutants

Since X-Men #1 auctions are pretty much always of interest. Take a look at this.

Back when the bidding was a LOT lower, I was actually looking at this. As I was examining the photos to try to get a rough grade (I even PM'd the good Doctor Watson for a 2nd opinion), I noticed that Marvel Girl's hand is right up against the right edge. DW pointed out that Cyclop's head is cut off. I don't know, do you guys think this was chopped on the right edge and top?

X-Men #1 Auction on Ebay

CG

Fellow Mutants

Since X-Men #1 auctions are pretty much always of interest. Take a look at this.

Back when the bidding was a LOT lower, I was actually looking at this. As I was examining the photos to try to get a rough grade (I even PM'd the good Doctor Watson for a 2nd opinion), I noticed that Marvel Girl's hand is right up against the right edge. DW pointed out that Cyclop's head is cut off. I don't know, do you guys think this was chopped on the right edge and top?

X-Men #1 Auction on Ebay

CG

It's a close call because of the miswrap, but I'm leaning towards thinking that it has been chopped on the right. The top, despite Cyclop's head being cut, seems like it could just be the miswrap or a little of both.

Fellow Mutants

X-Men #1 Auction on Ebay

CG

I don't know about the trimming but both bidder 6 and bidder 3 look like shills. Bidder 6 has zero feedback. Stay away.

Fellow Mutants

X-Men #1 Auction on Ebay

CG

I don't know about the trimming but both bidder 6 and bidder 3 look like shills. Bidder 6 has zero feedback. Stay away.

hm I don't have much experience with shills. I see what you mean about the bid history.

As it stands, doesn't it seem that this seller is going to get stuck "selling" the book to himself? After all, the highest legitimate bid was either $599 or $1000 if bidders 6 and 3 are shills. (Bidder 5 looks suspicious too.) Is he hoping for someone to bid above the $5300 current bid?