• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Here's a few from a group I just had returned from CGC... I've posted them before as raw books but now they are immortilized in slab form.. for now...

ST56CGC.jpg

ST45CGC.jpg

ST61CGC.jpg

NICE!! With DOUBLE NICE on top!! Love the earlier ones and they are beauts!! hail.gif

Any time they need a holiday, send them to me and I'll look after them!! devil.gif

Edited by UKavenger

NICE!! With DOUBLE NICE on top!! Love the earlier ones and they are beauts!! hail.gif

Any time they need a holiday, send them to me and I'll look after them!! devil.gif

Thanks UKavenger!! Anytime you want to disguise the purchase as 2 first class airfare seats to the UK, they're yours... poke2.gif

Nice grades Paul. Hope you are happy with them.

On another topic I have a question : Does the White Mountain pedigree have multiple copies of some issues ?

I'm asking because Harley Yee has a raw White Mountain ST 111 in VF/NM listed, and when I looked in the Strange Tales Pedigree listing that was constituted by some Board members the White Mountain ST 111 was graded a CGC 7.5 confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't take me wrong, I'm not implying that Harley freed a CGC 7.5 copy to list it as a raw VF/NM. He's too straight to do something like that. The only thing against him...is that the book is listed at $900 foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

Edited by frederic9494

I saw the book almost 2 years ago. Harley had it then. It was a 7.5. He said it was undergraded (maybe it is) and he wanted 900.00 then. I passed on it. If he freed it, which lots of people do, he can grade it whatever he wants. When you get it, if you agree, keep it. If not, he happily takes returns. The book had flaws, can't rememeber now what they were, but CGC did not like the book and labled it as a low VF.

On another topic I have a question : Does the White Mountain pedigree have multiple copies of some issues ?

I'm asking because Harley Yee has a raw White Mountain ST 111 in VF/NM listed, and when I looked in the Strange Tales Pedigree listing that was constituted by some Board members the White Mountain ST 111 was graded a CGC 7.5 confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't take me wrong, I'm not implying that Harley freed a CGC 7.5 copy to list it as a raw VF/NM. He's too straight to do something like that. The only thing against him...is that the book is listed at $900 foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

Harley has done that before. He did it with an FF#1 last year. That's not to imply that there's anything wrong with it. It just means he disagrees with the grade CGC gave the book on that particular day.

Harley has done that before. He did it with an FF#1 last year. That's not to imply that there's anything wrong with it. It just means he disagrees with the grade CGC gave the book on that particular day.

Thanks Frederic!! Overall, I'm pleased, I think like most, I probably open the box and feel a little discouraged but afterwards the reality sets in and I'm comfortable with the grade after examining it again. I've learnt alot about grading since submitting so many varities of raw books. It has made me a much better collector on higher grade books now.

I shall crack all my books and call them VF/NM too!!! To hell with 3rd party grading..moohahahahaha!!! screwy.gif

Here's a couple "raw" to slabbed transformations!!

ST58CGC.jpg

ST36CGC.jpg

This thread needs a boost. The 58 is really nice as it is hard to find in a nice grade because of pre-Marvel chipping. Mine is probably a VF+, but you can see the pre-MC along the right edge. Yours doesn't seem to have any.

ST58F.jpg

That's a great looking #58 MonkeyMan!!! You're right ... I feel lucky because the 21 pre-hero books that I've acquired don't have any marvel chipping. Some have heavier spin wear but it can't be seen from scans of the front or back covers. It's really the only major flaw keeping them from grading out higher.

I don't know if this has been done anywhere in the 38 pages of this thread confused-smiley-013.gif (and I'm not going to read them all to find out), but is anyone interested in discussing why they collect ST? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I started because Dr. Strange is my favorite character and my focus was 110-168. I have since started buying pre-hero issues and also gained an appreciation for Nick Fury. I just finished my NF 1-18 run before Christmas! yay.gif I still have little interest in 101-109, 112-3 and 169 on, although I guess I'll pick them up at some point just because I'm a completionist.

How about you?!?!?!? flowerred.gif

Great idea Mike! Why ST?

1) It's not a widely collected title. There aren't alot of collectors looking to put together a high grade run of ST. It feels like its "my thing", perhaps as some fans feel about some unknown indie band that is "their band".

2) Some great, even iconic covers (#107,#114,etc) from Kirby then later Sterenko.

3) Compared to other silver age marvels its quite rare in high grade.

4) Its undervalued in guide so that even high grade examples are relatively affordable.

5) It was one of the first books that I sought out back issues for after ASM. I bought a #115 and a #112 based solely on the cool covers!

I don't know if this has been done anywhere in the 38 pages of this thread confused-smiley-013.gif (and I'm not going to read them all to find out), but is anyone interested in discussing why they collect ST? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I started because Dr. Strange is my favorite character and my focus was 110-168. I have since started buying pre-hero issues and also gained an appreciation for Nick Fury. I just finished my NF 1-18 run before Christmas! yay.gif I still have little interest in 101-109, 112-3 and 169 on, although I guess I'll pick them up at some point just because I'm a completionist.

How about you?!?!?!? flowerred.gif

Good question !

My ST collecting started about a year and a half ago.

I was going back to collecting after a 15 years break and knew I wanted to focus on Silver Age Marvels. Being a Kirby fan, I was quickly attracted to Strange Tales especially ST 101-109 since they had great covers, included early FF apparitions (that were much cheaper than the originals) and were not easy to find (a good thing if you want to manage your comic book collecting budget 27_laughing.gif )

The first book I ever bought on eBay was a raw ST 106 for $80...that subsequently became a CGC 8.5 OWW laugh.gif A good Omen 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At first I wanted to focus on FF apparitions only, but more and more I liked this title as it included some notable "first" :

ST 102 : 1st Wizard

ST 104 : 1st Trapster

ST 106 : 1st FF cover apparition outside of FF comic book (same date as ASM 1)

ST 110 : 1st Doctor Strange

ST 114 : 1st Captain America apparition since Golden Age

ST 116 : 1st Thing cross-over

ST 123 : 1st Thor cross-over

ST annual 2 : 1st Spider-man cross-over (and 4th overall apparition)

I then decided to eventually build an 8.5 run of ST 101-129 (the last good cover IMO) But then Rich (Korvac Saga) opened his vault and unleashed all his ST dupes that he hoarded in the last years...and I had no choice but to go up to ST 134 grin.gif

That being said, a lot of books are tough to find in high grade, since some collectors still hold on to them ( I don't blame them...well, maybe a little!)...but it only raises the thrill of the hunt.

Other Strange Tales firsts:

111: 1st Baron Mordo

115: Origin of Dr. Strange, 1st Sandman x-over

120: 1st meeting of Iceman and Human Torch

126: 1st app Clea and Dormammu

135: 1st Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

138: 1st app of Eternity

146: Classic Ditko cover

150: 1st Umar, 1st John Buscema art at Marvel

151: 1st Steranko art at Marvel

169: 1st Brother Voodoo