• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Not really. Michael (povertyrow) happened to be selling his books and offered this one to me at a good price, so I couldn't pass it up. I'm still five months shy of finishing up my 18-month hiatus.

Scott, nice pickup!!! hail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

You back into buying? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gif

Just bought this baby!

st8-85.jpg

Not really. Michael (povertyrow) happened to be selling his books and offered this one to me at a good price, so I couldn't pass it up. I'm still five months shy of finishing up my 18-month hiatus.

Scott, nice pickup!!! hail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

You back into buying? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gif

Just bought this baby!

st8-85.jpg

Great book!

Must be at least 9.2! hail.gif

Dang lower spine bump or else 9.6... frustrated.gif

As beautiful as that book is, I would seriously doubt a 9.2... cgc really seems to slam corner dings like that.

It's not a ding. The corner is not really blunted -- just very slightly abraded/fuzzy like you'd expect on a book that is 54 years old and had been sitting in a drawer or box or whatever. As for the "crease" looking thingy, it just looks like the corner flexed forward some years ago and caused a light crack in the ink layer. It's more visible in the scan than it is in person.

But I agree that the book probably won't get a 9.2. I am thinking 8.5 or 9.0 (or to use Metro's grading scale, an "8.8 VF+++++"). With the GA bump, it might get the benefit of the doubt for 9.0 because the inks are bright and blinding and the paper is remarkably fresh and bright for a book from that era and printed on the kind of pulp stock it was printed on. I'll probably submit it and see what the boys in Sarasota think one of these days.

As beautiful as that book is, I would seriously doubt a 9.2... cgc really seems to slam corner dings like that.

It's not a ding. The corner is not really blunted -- just very slightly abraded/fuzzy like you'd expect on a book that is 54 years old and had been sitting in a drawer or box or whatever. As for the "crease" looking thingy, it just looks like the corner flexed forward some years ago and caused a light crack in the ink layer. It's more visible in the scan than it is in person.

But I agree that the book probably won't get a 9.2. I am thinking 8.5 or 9.0 (or to use Metro's grading scale, an "8.8 VF+++++"). With the GA bump, it might get the benefit of the doubt for 9.0 because the inks are bright and blinding and the paper is remarkably fresh and bright for a book from that era and printed on the kind of pulp stock it was printed on. I'll probably submit it and see what the boys in Sarasota think one of these days.

It sounds like a superb copy from your description! It certainly scans well. thumbsup2.gif

It sounds like a superb copy from your description! It certainly scans well. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks AS. To get a compliment like that from a guy who has so many books like yours is pretty amazing. hail.gif

A buddy of mine is selling two amazing early KIRBY pages. Anyone interested please PM me for pricing.

Strange Tales #102, pages 12 & 14 (JACK KIRBY Pre-Fantastic Four pages - Published November 1962)

These are the first appearance of the Silver Age FF

Human Torch. All action as he hunts down the Wizard!

(Twice Up Art - Signed)

PICs:

strangetales1.jpg

strangedetail.jpg

strangetales102.jpg

Thanks,

Hart

Here are a couple of Oldies but Goodies from my Original purchases at Sid's Luncheonette, that i sold a couple of years ago;

st_105_001.jpg

st_105_003.jpg

st_105.jpg

st_105_002.jpg

Nice books Harry!

I would grade both at 9.2, but given your luck with CGC, you probably got 8.5-9.0 foreheadslap.gif (many of your Sid's Luncheonnette I found where undergraded, at least from the scans)

What were the grade on those ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif