• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,122 posts in this topic

I rather enjoy Heritage over all the auction houses now. Prices are indeed variable like an auction should be and not perpetually hitting new GPAs like CLink auctions always do. Their scans are great with back cover scans on higher priced items. Their customer service is good. I can call someone on the phone and get a straight answer whenever I need to reach them.

I agree

Never had an issue, love the scans and the info n stats provided by them.

Some of the prices/BPprices are pricey at times (a lot of times) BUT I have won some great stuff for huge record lows at times.

Did you notice you are now paying sales tax on not only the purchase price but also the BP and the shipping. The 20% BP has now turned into a 30% BP. I thought, at least in Illinois, that you do not pay sales tax on 'service'. They told me I am wrong.

I agree

Some of the prices/BPprices are pricey at times (a lot of times) BUT I have won some great stuff for huge record lows at times.

Did you notice you are now paying sales tax on not only the purchase price but also the BP and the shipping. The 20% BP has now turned into a 30% BP. I thought, at least in Illinois, that you do not pay sales tax on 'service'. They told me I am wrong.

I was not aware of this. Granted I have not bought or won any books for a spell with any grand value. Now I will get out the calculator on my next win or purchase.

I agree

I was not aware of this. Granted I have not bought or won any books for a spell with any grand value. Now I will get out the calculator on my next win or purchase.

HA doesn't have an office in Illinois but they do conduct an auction here, hence we are now charged a sales tax. The effect is compounded by the fact that the tax is on the grand total which includes the BP and shipping. They did discuss it with me but they are following the advice of the accountants. I used to love the Sunday night auctions, picking up some cool books at a reasonable price but I now have to pass. The good times are over.

I agree

HA doesn't have an office in Illinois but they do conduct an auction here, hence we are now charged a sales tax. The effect is compounded by the fact that the tax is on the grand total which includes the BP and shipping. They did discuss it with me but they are following the advice of the accountants. I used to love the Sunday night auctions, picking up some cool books at a reasonable price but I now have to pass. The good times are over.

How much is the sales tax? Is it enough that you can't just include it in your bidding strategy and still win some books? I don't think I'd have to write Heritage off if they started charging MA state tax. 5% wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I agree

How much is the sales tax? Is it enough that you can't just include it in your bidding strategy and still win some books? I don't think I'd have to write Heritage off if they started charging MA state tax. 5% wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I just looked at my invoice and they charged 8.25 % sales tax. As mentioned they applied the tax to the grand total, inclusive of BP and shipping, compounding the effect of the tax to roughly 10 %. Sure, I can include this in my bidding but what's the chances of a win when you are competing against buyers that are not paying the sales tax. I'm in a 10% hole out of the gate. The BP is an even playing field but the sales tax is not.

I just looked at my invoice and they charged 8.25 % sales tax. As mentioned they applied the tax to the grand total, inclusive of BP and shipping, compounding the effect of the tax to roughly 10 %. Sure, I can include this in my bidding but what's the chances of a win when you are competing against buyers that are not paying the sales tax. I'm in a 10% hole out of the gate. The BP is an even playing field but the sales tax is not.

Yeah, it's a bummer. 10% is a significant drag.

If it's any consolation I have a 30% disparity with the exchange rate to deal with presently.

Not really, though I feel your pain. I take no consolation from the misfortune of others. 30% Ouch.

This is a moving target for you = someday it may be in your favor.

Indeed it is :(

Now I will look at it as I'm paying personally, an extra 10% for the great scans and stats and facts :(

Curse you Illinois!

Indeed it is :(

Now I will look at it as I'm paying personally, an extra 10% for the great scans and stats and facts :(

Curse you Illinois!

At least our state needs the money, you can't argue with that. Since the tax revenue does not add anything to Heritage's coffers, I am disappointed that they are charging this tax. They are strictly going with the advice of their accountants who are probably taking the easiest, safest route of the tax interpretation. Just because they hold an occasional auction within the borders of Illinois, why would that result in all online purchases outside of the auction being taxed. They quoted me some 6 year old court decision, which has since been successfully challenged already. Anyway, not my call, it's just disappointing as I do like Heritage's auctions.

If it's any consolation I have a 30% disparity with the exchange rate to deal with presently.

CDN dollar today at 1.38 so it's even worse now.

I'm sure most of us Canadians will be really cutting back on our buying :(

Add on the taxes/duty we have to pay for books coming in from the US plus higher shipping to up here and we are paying almost 50% more..... :cry:

Just wanted to wish my fellow DD brethrens an early Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays! :foryou:

Had a really great past couple years getting to know some of you and as of late, just have been enjoying the posts in the DD threads.

My favorite sub-forums (thumbs u

We are hosting both days (tomorrow 28 all her side.....) so I don't know if and when I'll be on or remember. So just wanted to make sure my well wishes got out to the lot of you.

Best,

Eric