• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,122 posts in this topic

(I still can't get over than Annual 3)

I took the longest subway ride of my life to get that book and a bunch of other Oaklands too. Vincent, Mike Carbonaro, and Bob Storms were processing the collection in the Far Rockaways and I played hooky from work to head out there. I had no idea it was possible to spend an hour and a half on a one-way subway ride. But it turned out to be the best A train ride ever.

I took the longest subway ride of my life to get that book and a bunch of other Oaklands too. Vincent, Mike Carbonaro, and Bob Storms were processing the collection in the Far Rockaways and I played hooky from work to head out there. I had no idea it was possible to spend an hour and a half on a one-way subway ride. But it turned out to be the best A train ride ever.

Do you remember when that was Barton? Just curious is all...

Do you remember when that was Barton? Just curious is all...

July 12th, 1998. Really. I didn't remember exactly. But the excel file with the list of books I bought that day has the date on it.

Also bought the DD #50, 56, and 75 that day. And later picked up the #54 in a trade. I guess at some point I also had the Oakland DD #86. But probably traded that away in some crazy deal.

ztYPNC.jpg

5SApTP.jpg

4oYuVu.jpg

I have faith an 86 will show up at some point. I'm going to go full-court press on trying to find one since it's the last hole (other than #1 which is easier to source if much more expensive.) I don't have anything in the pipeline. I don't have anything for the #72 or the Annual #3 either. I don't mind the 72 as much as it's just a 9.2 but it's Western Penn, I think upgrading the Annual #3 is going to be beast There's one 9.8, six 9.6s and two 9.4s. That's tougher than 86 (one 9.8, four 9.6s and seven 9.4s)

I paid a nutty price for my #86 in a Comic Connect Auction. Though I can't say I regret it too much. On the other hand, I bought my for my Annual #3 for $20 in 1998. I paid more to slab it.

QqMUB3.jpg

W3D7Gx.jpg

Great books :applause:

Holy craap!

$900 for a 9.4!!! WOW!!!

And I thought I bought some high priced +#50 issues!!

A nice #86 is bound to be coming forth soon.

Any in the pipeline? Or any #72s or Annual #3s in the works Rob?

$975 http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=537141 I won five books in that auction and just watched that #55 spiral away from me. I think I bowed out at like $500.

I have faith an 86 will show up at some point. I'm going to go full-court press on trying to find one since it's the last hole (other than #1 which is easier to source if much more expensive.) I don't have anything in the pipeline. I don't have anything for the #72 or the Annual #3 either. I don't mind the 72 as much as it's just a 9.2 but it's Western Penn, I think upgrading the Annual #3 is going to be beast There's one 9.8, six 9.6s and two 9.4s. That's tougher than 86 (one 9.8, four 9.6s and seven 9.4s)

I hear you about #86. I'd be doing the exact same thing. Exact.

I think the Annual #3 won't be too bad. Have you started to look for candidates yet or just seeing what pops up slabbed? I can't remember where I got mine....but I know that one was purchased in a CGC case. I would think there would be a decent number of nice HG raw ones out and about. Not many have been subbed, that's for sure.

I paid a nutty price for my #86 in a Comic Connect Auction. Though I can't say I regret it too much. On the other hand, I bought my for my Annual #3 for $20 in 1998. I paid more to slab it.

QqMUB3.jpg

W3D7Gx.jpg

They look pristine!!!!! (worship)

(Those Oaklands are striking too btw my man!!)

Edited by icculus308win

Ok so I gotta post this one even though I will be parting with it soon. I'm pretty sure it meets with Eric's approval! ;)

sFL73a.jpg

It is DD's 4th appearance in comic books (a part of me really does love the Old Yeller) and my approval is still busy being in :luhv: with that book!!!

Thank-you for sharing that bute!!

Honestly, it looks flawless!

Holy craap!

$900 for a 9.4!!! WOW!!!

And I thought I bought some high priced +#50 issues!!

A nice #86 is bound to be coming forth soon.

Any in the pipeline? Or any #72s or Annual #3s in the works Rob?

$975 http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=537141 I won five books in that auction and just watched that #55 spiral away from me. I think I bowed out at like $500.

I hear you about #86. I'd be doing the exact same thing. Exact.

I think the Annual #3 won't be too bad. Have you started to look for candidates yet or just seeing what pops up slabbed? I can't remember where I got mine....but I know that one was purchased in a CGC case. I would think there would be a decent number of nice HG raw ones out and about. Not many have been subbed, that's for sure.

I'll start looking for raw copies of Annual #3, too. That's a good idea. I haven't been looking for them raw at all and I think the only graded copy I've ever seen is the one I bought.

Yeah, I'm trying to finish my Byrne run ( http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=74309 ) and was looking for 289 and 292. I got five candidates at 9.6+ and I got 3 9.8 289s and 1 9.8 and 1 9.6 292.

:headbang:

Edited by rob_react