• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun Comics not owned by esquire

297 posts in this topic

aardvark88, I can't say for sure because I don't own any of the books (yet)....but according to Charles Wooley in his Wooley's History of the Comic Book, 1899-1936 the story actually begins in The Comics Magazine # 1 and continues in More Fun 14 - 17.

The Guide is somewhat confusing, you're right...but with the 17 included in the same price range, I'd presume the answer is yes.

STEVE (make mine Larson)

Scrooge's hard work has motivated me to get off my *butter knife* and provide another example of Crandall swiping the incomparable Howard "Shaaaa-zam" Pyle:

GoldenHind.jpg

Piracy3.jpg

bumpit.gif

How about the sun-faded variant version which I actually may like better, took me a while to pull out my copy -

1447961-Piracy3.jpg

1447961-Piracy3.jpg.508f6f18020f834201ad00356dbc4d75.jpg

Hello. My name is Link Yaco and I'm working with a group of people who are mainly in a Yahoo Group call SpaceVoucherHoax (don't ask). We are working on a project with the aim to collect all the appearances of Dr. Occult. We are well underway but we could use some help.

We still need copies of the following issues of More Fun:

More Fun 7, 9, 14, 15, 18, 20, 22, 23, 27-29 and 32

We just need the Dr. Occult appearances from those issues so if the owners feel like scanning those 2 to 4 page stories and getting them to us, that would be wonderful!

Here is a link to an archived collection of what we have collected so far:

http://www.savefile.com/files/201933

We will expand this document until it is complete and share it with as many as possible.

-----------------------------------------------

I can be contacted here. This is the URL of the group, SpaceVoucherHoax:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/spacevoucherhoax/?yguid=106036558

I can also be contacted by email. I'm on AOL. My name is Lincoln Yaco. So my Aol mail address is just my name with no space and then the "at" sign, then AOL dot com.

I will type that here but sometimes the software won't allow email addresses and deletes them, which is why I described it in such detail. Here we go:

LincolnYaco@aol.com

Thank you for your time!

It looks like my posting of New Fun #6 last week just about killed this thread. I will try to resurrect it with a more traditional hero issue. Here is MF #79, one of the earlier Green Arrow covers. Note that Speedy is garrotting the fleeing felon with his bow string.

1473652-MoreFun79%28MH%29%282%29.jpg

1473652-MoreFun79(MH)(2).jpg.c967642fefb13267063f08e93ff7d072.jpg

It looks like my posting of New Fun #6 last week just about killed this thread. I will try to resurrect it with a more traditional hero issue. Here is MF #79, one of the earlier Green Arrow covers. Note that Speedy is garrotting the fleeing felon with his bow string.

They are both great books, RHG.

To be frank (just don't call me Shirley), as much as I love the Church MF 79 the NF 6 equally "wows" me just as much because it is such an historically significant book.

So a double clap 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif for you, sir!

STEVE

Nah, I just didn't want to brag that I'd had the privilege of seeing that New Fun #6 in person, and even to open it up! cloud9.gif

Awesome MF #79, by the way!

1473652-MoreFun79%28MH%29%282%29.jpg

We need to schedule a comic reading party at RHG's place real soon.

Every time I see an Edgar Church book posted to this board, it redefines the definition of "MINT" for me. I am in complete and utter awe of the color and condition of these books. A 9.4 Church book isn't the same as a non-Church 9.4 -- it just isn't. Thanks to all you lucky sods who keep posting these books for us mere mortals to enjoy.

The music stopped and everyone found their seats and I was stuck with the book.

Oh well, I have Comic Link and the seller to thank for the book. The transaction was as smooth as I could have hoped for.

morefuncomics14cgc6.5.jpg

Now will I have MOE FUN ?

The music stopped and everyone found their seats and I was stuck with the book.

Oh well, I have Comic Link and the seller to thank for the book. The transaction was as smooth as I could have hoped for.

morefuncomics14cgc6.5.jpg

Now will I have MOE FUN ?

Very impressive! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

Congrats jkrk. That is a hard to find and historically important book. I am unaware of a nicer copy than that one.

That is the highest graded copy as I recall. I have the next one at CGC 6.0.

I remember talking to Josh about the Church copy once and wondering why it graded so low as that was unusual, though by no means indicative of anything standing alone, for that collection. My recollection is that this particular book - which is still beautiful in its present shape - had glue removed or something like that which brought down the grade.

Congrats jkrk. That is a hard to find and historically important book. I am unaware of a nicer copy than that one.

That is the highest graded copy as I recall. I have the next one at CGC 6.0.

I remember talking to Josh about the Church copy once and wondering why it graded so low as that was unusual, though by no means indicative of anything standing alone, for that collection. My recollection is that this particular book - which is still beautiful in its present shape - had glue removed or something like that which brought down the grade.

Actually, it looks more like the hard creases at the lower right corner and the color breaking wear at the spine stresses are responsible for the lower grade. It's possible that there used to be color touch at the stress line along the spine that was scraped away -- that's a lot of color loss for a mere spine stress.

That's what I thought -- color touch removal at that spot along the spine. Looks like they removed it from the LRC and in the price circle too. thumbsup2.gif

It may have very well been color touch that was removed. I'll have to go back and check my e-mails to see if Josh had e-mailed me the answer or merely told me on the telephone. I know something was removed, whether it be glue or color touch.