• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

Don't know about the ad and what point in time it was. But before he consigned it to Heritage two summers ago along with the rest of his comic books, he had it listed on his website for $36K. Sold at Heritage for a hair under $35K. Just curious, what year was that advertisement?

JP was asking more like $36K for the Church copy of #42.

The ad said $14,600, which already was approx 7X Guide at the time. I doubt even JP would've been asking 18X Guide.

Tim;

One of the only times that I have found you to be incorrect on something factual on the boards here. 893whatthe.gif

I remembered for sure that the book was for somewhere in the $40K+ range. Managed to find my catlogue from JP and the Adventure #42 was the cover book for the catalogue with an asking price of $49,500.

You must have been looking at another book by accident. The ad in the OS guide #31 also lists the same price. Since guide price was $7,000 in that year's edition, it looks like he was asking just a little over 7X guide. Of course since the guide was only in the $5K+ range when he made the ad, I guess he was really trying to ask for a little over 9X guide. 27_laughing.gif

BTW: I also noticed that he was asking $12,000 for your now Church copy of Ibis #1 when it was guiding for only $1,700 at the time, or also a shade over 7X guide. Looks like you got yourself a pretty deal in comparison since your price was in the $8K+ range for a book guiding at $3K, or a little under 3X guide. thumbsup2.gif.

I was looking at JP's ad in Overstreet #31 and noticed that he was offering the Church Adventure #42 (CGC 9.4). Does anyone know who's got it now?

That was mine. I'm not sure where it is now. It sure was a beauty! 893applaud-thumb.gif

West

West;

I think Joe Smejkal at one time owned all of the Sandman Adventure covers (except for issue #40). I believed this was back in the 90's, so I am not sure if this was after you had owned issue #42 or before you had owned issue #42.

JP was asking more like $36K for the Church copy of #42.

The ad said $14,600, which already was approx 7X Guide at the time. I doubt even JP would've been asking 18X Guide.

Tim;

One of the only times that I have found you to be incorrect on something factual on the boards here. 893whatthe.gif

I remembered for sure that the book was for somewhere in the $40K+ range. Managed to find my catlogue from JP and the Adventure #42 was the cover book for the catalogue with an asking price of $49,500.

You must have been looking at another book by accident. The ad in the OS guide #31 also lists the same price. Since guide price was $7,000 in that year's edition, it looks like he was asking just a little over 7X guide. Of course since the guide was only in the $5K+ range when he made the ad, I guess he was really trying to ask for a little over 9X guide. 27_laughing.gif

BTW: I also noticed that he was asking $12,000 for your now Church copy of Ibis #1 when it was guiding for only $1,700 at the time, or also a shade over 7X guide. Looks like you got yourself a pretty deal in comparison since your price was in the $8K+ range for a book guiding at $3K, or a little under 3X guide. thumbsup2.gif.

Whoops, sorry guys, you're absolutely right. Clearly the brain was not processing what the eyes were seeing when I wrote my original post. I WAS talking about the Adventure #42, but must have looked at the ad for one of his other books when I typed in the price. foreheadslap.gif

My deal on the Ibis 1 wasn't so great compared to the Adventure 42: JP listed it at $49K and then it sold on Heritage for "only" $35K!

I was looking at JP's ad in Overstreet #31 and noticed that he was offering the Church Adventure #42 (CGC 9.4). Does anyone know who's got it now?

That was mine. I'm not sure where it is now. It sure was a beauty! 893applaud-thumb.gif

West

West;

I think Joe Smejkal at one time owned all of the Sandman Adventure covers (except for issue #40). I believed this was back in the 90's, so I am not sure if this was after you had owned issue #42 or before you had owned issue #42.

He never had this one!

West

Ugh. So I was looking through the Heritage archives at some New Adventures, trying to see if the #19 on eBay now had been sold previously, when I came across these two:

Church copy sold in 2002 for $6037, graded 9.2:

804044317o.jpg

Church copy sold in 2004 for $12,650, graded 9.6:

812013017o.jpg

What's odd is that the penciled Church code on the original book is actually more faded than the one on the second book, which appears to have been traced over with a different pencil. It's more obvious on the super-large scans from the auction pages (here and here).

I'm guessing it was cleaned and the code was re-drawn on afterwards. frustrated.gif

I'm guessing it was cleaned and the code was re-drawn on afterwards.

Gee, I wonder who would do something like that?

FYI, the Larson NA 19 used to be a PLOD (glue).

The copy up on ebay has Tan pages, which is a deal-killer for me (especially in the large logo era).

STEVE

I think this is the toughest of the New Comics, even tougher than #2. Big no-prize for whomever correctly answers what "AOC" is!

Serious question? All Original Comics?

Jack

Winner!! Yup, just inside the front cover is a long text piece about All Original Comics and how that's what's on everyone's minds these days (i.e., in the mid-1930's).

It's a fun book. I'd love to find an upgrade copy, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think this is the toughest of the New Comics, even tougher than #2.

Agreed - CM, do you have a scarcity index for New Comics?

STEVE

Yup, and although I don't have it with me (it's on my work computer), I remember that New Comics #3 is the scarcest of that 11-issue run. The New Adventure run includes the only book I've yet come across that scores a top-ranked 30, the simply perfect combination of impossible to find and relatively expensive. It's not Ian's famous New Adventure #26, either.