• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

Creig Flessel said that the cover artist on this book was a man named Flanagan (unsure about the spelling on the last name). Creig thinks he remembers his first name being Richard, and that he did some other work here and there throughout the 1940s and perhaps later. So, not Flessel, not O'Mealia. Anyone know anything about Richard Flanagan? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll keep the thread from getting bogged down on my Adventure #40 by posting one of my other favorites, #37:

Adventure%2037%20Front.jpg

I forget who did the cover; was it Flessel or O'Mealia? Looks like Flessel but I thought he usually signed his work.

bumpit.gif for Scott - Here's my earlier post about FLANAGAN, J. R. [1895-1964]

He's a new one on me as well, a quick online search shows he did do interior illos for both Blue Book and Adventure: for Adventure in 35-36 and for Blue Book in 38-39. Bio info states he was born in Australia and died in York, Pennsylvania. The name is listed however as Flanagan instead of Flanigan. He has earlier credits going back to the mid-20's. Unfortunately, I have more Argosy than I have Adventures so I don't have any he is listed having worked in.

He did illustrate all of Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu tales that appeared in Collier's from 1929 to 1935 - This fills in the blank from the mid-20's to the mid-30's. His name here is in good company with Coll and Benda, also associated with Fu Manchu art duties.

November 1929 Flanagan Illo -

1427617-Flanagan-FiresofBaal-FuManchu.jpg

June 1932 - Mask of Fu Manchu -

1427617-Flanagan-MaskofFuManchu.jpg

Details of the Mask -

1427617-Flanagan-MaskofFuManchu-Mask.jpg

Wally Wood redo version in the Fu Manchu book - (cue Fuelman to post a scan of his copy) - 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1427617-Flanagan-MaskFuManchu-WoodVersion.jpg

Dr. Fu Manchu -

1427617-Flanagan-DrFuManchu.jpg

Fu Manchu's Bride -

1427617-Flanagan-FuManchuBride.jpg

Edited to add: Love that Dr. Fu Manchu solo shot.

After doing a little internet research, it looks like it may have been John Richard Flanagan who did the cover. The style is very similar to some other pieces of his that have images online, and he was working in magazine illustration at the same time as Adventure Comics #37 was printed.

Yep, that appears to be the guy, Scrooge! thumbsup2.gif

Creig specifically mentioned that he had worked on Blue Book, but I didn't remember that part until you just wrote that. 893applaud-thumb.gif

bumpit.gif for Scott - Here's my earlier post about FLANAGAN, J. R. [1895-1964]

He's a new one on me as well, a quick online search shows he did do interior illos for both Blue Book and Adventure: for Adventure in 35-36 and for Blue Book in 38-39. Bio info states he was born in Australia and died in York, Pennsylvania. The name is listed however as Flanagan instead of Flanigan. He has earlier credits going back to the mid-20's. Unfortunately, I have more Argosy than I have Adventures so I don't have any he is listed having worked in.

He did illustrate all of Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu tales that appeared in Collier's from 1929 to 1935 - This fills in the blank from the mid-20's to the mid-30's. His name here is in good company with Coll and Benda, also associated with Fu Manchu art duties.

November 1929 Flanagan Illo -

1427617-Flanagan-FiresofBaal-FuManchu.jpg

June 1932 - Mask of Fu Manchu -

1427617-Flanagan-MaskofFuManchu.jpg

Details of the Mask -

1427617-Flanagan-MaskofFuManchu-Mask.jpg

Wally Wood redo version in the Fu Manchu book - (cue Fuelman to post a scan of his copy) - 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1427617-Flanagan-MaskFuManchu-WoodVersion.jpg

Dr. Fu Manchu -

1427617-Flanagan-DrFuManchu.jpg

Fu Manchu's Bride -

1427617-Flanagan-FuManchuBride.jpg

Edited to add: Love that Dr. Fu Manchu solo shot.

Creig Flessel said that the cover artist on this book was a man named Flanagan (unsure about the spelling on the last name). Creig thinks he remembers his first name being Richard, and that he did some other work here and there throughout the 1940s and perhaps later. So, not Flessel, not O'Mealia. Anyone know anything about Richard Flanagan? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll keep the thread from getting bogged down on my Adventure #40 by posting one of my other favorites, #37:

I forget who did the cover; was it Flessel or O'Mealia? Looks like Flessel but I thought he usually signed his work.

Thanks for the confirmation. I originally posted the bit about Flanagan a couple months ago in this thread. I sent Flessel a scan of my #37 & wanted to know if he did cover recreations. He gave me the same info. Looking forward to your full report of the visit with him! thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif I must have totally forgotten about that discussion from last October. And here I thought I had solved some great mystery! 27_laughing.gifcrazy.gif

As for the recap of our visit, I should be done with it by the end of this weekend. I want to try to get the pictures that the photographer took so that I can post a few of them with the recap.

Thanks for the confirmation. I originally posted the bit about Flanagan a couple months ago in this thread. I sent Flessel a scan of my #37 & wanted to know if he did cover recreations. He gave me the same info. Looking forward to your full report of the visit with him! thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif I must have totally forgotten about that discussion from last October. And here I thought I had solved some great mystery! 27_laughing.gifcrazy.gif

Hey no worries - I remember when I posted it that a couple people thought he might have been mistaken. After all, it was 70 years ago. But your info confirms what he told me. thumbsup2.gif I wonder if CGC will change their label - my copy says "Creig Flessel cover"

I must have totally forgotten about that discussion from last October. And here I thought I had solved some great mystery!

As for the recap of our visit, I should be done with it by the end of this weekend. I want to try to get the pictures that the photographer took so that I can post a few of them with the recap.

Just hope you have Flessel's memory when you hit your 90s. poke2.gif

Looking forward to your report! popcorn.gif

I must have totally forgotten about that discussion from last October. And here I thought I had solved some great mystery!

Just hope you have Flessel's memory when you hit your 90s. poke2.gif

Looking forward to your report! popcorn.gif

The fact that I forgot the discussion from last October re: Flanagan tells me that there ain't much chance of that! Seriously, it is amazing what he and Maria remember.

Focused on GA Superhero books, I've never owned a New Comics issue until now... #10 grin.gif

407235386_a39dd3570e_b.jpg

What sold me? I think it's pretty cool seeing "1936" on the cover... thumbsup2.gif

GE

Nice book Dino! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Be careful, they are addictive! grin.gif

I think this might be another J.R. Flanagan cover. It looks exactly like a lot of his other work.

Ok, so not a lot of interest in #35. That's fine, moving on to another Flessel.....

Adventure #36 is one of my favorites. I can imagine being a kid looking at this cover in amazement.

Must've been pretty cool to see something like this in a time with no color TV's. This was cutting edge entertainment.

adventure36.jpg

Wow, another NA cover that I'd never seen before. This one has just rocketed up in my list of favorite Flessel covers! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll betcha that the run of "could be Flessel, could be O'Mealia" covers in the mid-30s to late 30s of Adventure are all from John Richard Flanagan. The art style is the same on all of them, especially when you look at how he draws clothing and faces. I will ask Creig about these next time I see him.

You know, between the Obidiah Oldbuck thread and my accidental visit to the Comics General forum (oh my freaking god, what a mess), I'm struck by the urge to simply post more scans.

So here's Adventure Comics #39. Like #38 above, this is another cover that GCD credits to Flessel which I believe looks more like an O'Mealia:

adventure39.jpg

I think you're onto something. Take a close look at #36-39. I think it's the same character featured on the cover in all of them. #36 & #39 certainly have the same guy. He's wearing the exact same clothes & boots on both covers. Maybe they show his adventures in the jungle & his eventual (in #39) demise. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll betcha that the run of "could be Flessel, could be O'Mealia" covers in the mid-30s to late 30s of Adventure are all from John Richard Flanagan. The art style is the same on all of them, especially when you look at how he draws clothing and faces.

You may have something there!

I will ask Creig about these next time I see him.

Don't take too long. The dude is 90!