• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

It's not often I get to contribute to such a worthy and august group of books. I've posted in this thread before but here's a copy of #74 I picked up from John Verzyl a few years back. A real gem.

Beautiful - looks like a pedigree (white pages, too). :applause:

West I couldn't agree with you more! Adventure Comics is a very challenging title to collect so that adds to the excitement of collecting these books!! EJR

2c

I think now is a good time to start collecting Adventure Comics... if you are not collecting them already! They are really cool books with awesome covers & lots of great superhero stories inside. Some of the best Golden Age artist & writers worked on Adventure Comics. Investors generally avoid the title since it's not mainstream DC (Bat/Sup) so the title has not surged upward in price yet, making them quite affordable in comparison.

It's not often I get to contribute to such a worthy and august group of books. I've posted in this thread before but here's a copy of #74 I picked up from John Verzyl a few years back. A real gem.

John thought it might be a San Francisco as it had an unreadable stamp on the back cover. But no such designation. No matter the case it is sweet in the hand! I'll post another earlier issue if I can find the scan that came out of a find at a LCS here in Glendale.

Here is Adventure 57 which showed up in a LCS that I somehow managed to walk into the week the collection arrived. Not the greatest page quality as it had been stored in a locker but is structurally fairly solid and my earliest Adventure at this time.

145195.jpg.ec52f5055e3608fb11d9bed355d46a32.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Here is Adventure 57 which showed up in a LCS that I somehow managed to walk into the week the collection arrived. Not the greatest page quality as it had been stored in a locker but is structurally fairly solid and my earliest Adventure at this time.

That collection belonged to my father-in-law's best friend (Ron, who lived in Montrose), who took it over after his adult son died at a relatively young age.

I tried several times to see the boxes of books, but Ron was reluctant and apparently didn't show them to anyone, deciding to put them into a storage locker instead for something like 25 years.

When my father-in-law moved away, I lost touch with Ron. When Ron passed away, his relatives found the comics in storage and brought them to Howard at the LCS in Glendale (he bought them all).

I saw the books just after they arrived - Golden Age from the late 30's to Silver Age, many rough shape, some coverless, some with hand-drawn covers, etc. Pages were tan due to the less than ideal storage condition, but hey.

I specifically remember holding the Adventure 57 and being impressed by it, but being a PQ guy I just couldn't pull the trigger.

Glad you picked it up!

John thought it might be a San Francisco as it had an unreadable stamp on the back cover. But no such designation. No matter the case it is sweet in the hand! I'll post another earlier issue if I can find the scan that came out of a find at a LCS here in Glendale.

I'd love to see the back cover and the unreadable stamp if you are able to.

I'll see if I can scan tonight time permitting.

That collection belonged to my father-in-law's best friend (Ron, who lived in Montrose), who took it over after his adult son died at a relatively young age.

I tried several times to see the boxes of books, but Ron was reluctant and apparently didn't show them to anyone, deciding to put them into a storage locker instead for something like 25 years.

When my father-in-law moved away, I lost touch with Ron. When Ron passed away, his relatives found the comics in storage and brought them to Howard at the LCS in Glendale (he bought them all).

I saw the books just after they arrived - Golden Age from the late 30's to Silver Age, many rough shape, some coverless, some with hand-drawn covers, etc. Pages were tan due to the less than ideal storage condition, but hey.

I specifically remember holding the Adventure 57 and being impressed by it, but being a PQ guy I just couldn't pull the trigger.

Glad you picked it up!

That was the story, good to know it jibes. Yes, there was also a More Fun that was semi-nice but these were on the raggedy edge of acceptable and I didn't pull the trigger on both. Still, glad to have picked up the Adventure.

Does anyone have a 40 or 48 they would like to share?

NBC (no back cover), nice pages.

Adv40001.jpg

Never get tired of this one Steve

:whee:

I hope you upgrade someday :cloud9: A copy missing bc is about all i think i could ever afford in this book. Heck, I d be happy with a front cover only or just a coverless copy.

I'll see if I can scan tonight time permitting.

Here is the back cover of the 74. My scanner doesn't seem to like slabs so I used the Iphone to pick up the detail.Thoughts on John's theory it might be a San Francisco copy?

145200.jpg.2cd25ff749aec02501bac33eb01cf1cf.jpg

145201.jpg.b2ab6c0c1d4aa435753b99fa2f0ae775.jpg

That's a fun cover you don't see very often. The whole premise for the scene is so innocent by today's standards that it's hilarious: the horror in the eyes of the crook from being lifted 6 feet in the air and the two kids in the background.

You just couldn't make stuff like that up today. A friend of mine here in Vegas recently had a burglary at night. When the police arrested the guy, they almost scolded my friend for not just shooting the thief. Such a different mindset back around 1940.

That's a fun cover you don't see very often. The whole premise for the scene is so innocent by today's standards that it's hilarious: the horror in the eyes of the crook from being lifted 6 feet in the air and the two kids in the background.

You just couldn't make stuff like that up today. A friend of mine here in Vegas recently had a burglary at night. When the police arrested the guy, they almost scolded my friend for not just shooting the thief. Such a different mindset back around 1940.

There was a certain charm about that issue; which is why I picked it up. Also, it wasn't so high grade that I couldn't read it. I may dig it out this weekend and read again as we expect lots of rain in LA for the next three to four days and that is perfect comic reading weather.

I grew up back east in a small town around people who had that very sensibility you mention which is lost today. Too bad; their world was more honest and certainly of a higher integrity than the norm today. They had their share of problems too and all was not rosy; particularly if you didn't fit in societies designated slot for you!