• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

That inspired me to scan by other Adventure Comics. This one is the Billy Wright. Except for the spine split at the top this one is awesome. The scan how its news stand fresh and dripping in gloss.

Adventure50CGC50BillyWrightdeslabbed_zps32d13731.jpg

Seems to be a surge of Hourman cover posts. Here's one of mine. Does anyone know whether the penciled "ns" represents a pedigree?

Not that I know of, but that copy looks brand new!

That inspired me to scan by other Adventure Comics. This one is the Billy Wright. Except for the spine split at the top this one is awesome. The scan how its news stand fresh and dripping in gloss.

Adventure50CGC50BillyWrightdeslabbed_zps32d13731.jpg

Nice Vern! I have the Central Valley Adventure 50 and it too is glossy newsstand fresh (white pages), but with a small spine split.

Seems to be a surge of Hourman cover posts. Here's one of mine. Does anyone know whether the penciled "ns" represents a pedigree?

Beautiful book, with the introduction of the Hourman it looks like Sandman was considered a second banana as not only was he not on the cover but his stories were in the back of the book and Hourman in the front.

I don't have the earlier issues with just Sandman but I wonder if he was featured as the lead off character then.

Beautiful book, with the introduction of the Hourman it looks like Sandman was considered a second banana as not only was he not on the cover but his stories were in the back of the book and Hourman in the front.

I don't have the earlier issues with just Sandman but I wonder if he was featured as the lead off character then.

i think it had more to do with moving away from the pulp hero into the new formula, which was anything but pulp hero. The later move of having S&K revamp Sandman seems to support that theory. IMHO the orig Sandman was as good if not sometimes better illustrated and written than Supes/Batman. Sure I will offend some, but just a preference and you can see from my sig line I am biased. :grin:

i think it had more to do with moving away from the pulp hero into the new formula, which was anything but pulp hero. The later move of having S&K revamp Sandman seems to support that theory. IMHO the orig Sandman was as good if not sometimes better illustrated and written than Supes/Batman. Sure I will offend some, but just a preference and you can see from my sig line I am biased. :grin:

The early Sandman stories are great. I found them almost as enjoyable as the pre-Robin Batman stories and more so than Superman from the same period.

The point about moving towards a new formula is interesting and backed up by the available circulation data for DC comics. The data hint that the first few months of Sandman covers most likely did not have a measurable impact on overall sales. That is in sharp contrast to the introduction of Superman and Batman.