• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

NA24Church.jpg

I also prefer Adventure as a title to Action, and the early books are why. This is my absolute favorite Flessel cover! Thanks!

I agree it is top of the list. Not only is it a great composition, but the inking is masterful. Anyone know if Flessel also did the inking on his work or did DC have anonymous artists filling the gaps for dead lines.

[...]

Anyway, here's my New 3 - I know Centaurman recently had both high and low grade copies, jbcomicbox has a high grader, and another Boardie has a CGC low grade.

This copy has really nice off-white pages, and I am absolutely thrilled to own it.

NewComics3.jpg

Beautiful books, sacentaur. The later issues are a treat for the eyes, but the New Comics 3 stands out to me. It's amazing that copies from the pre-gorilla period still exist in this condition. The transition from these early humor covers to snakes, vultures etc. reflects the innocent imagination at the time and I find the history of that process just as appealing as a single beautiful book.

924eba18-d948-4c8b-8888-52cbf4bf5eac_zpsc0f6faa1.jpg
Steve, Thanks for reviving this great thread! Thanks for contributing your New Comics 4 to DC's 75th Anniversary book! The DC anniversary book is a great book to own! Many of these pre-hero books are impossible to find!! EJR

After all these years collecting, I'm pretty much thinking that this issue is in the Top Ten of scarcity for the entire run:

Adv36.jpg

This cover is so damn cool. I had fun watching the last one go on Heritage. This is a fantastic copy and my favorite of the run.

Thanks for reviving this great thread!

And thanks to RHG for starting this great thread years ago - I just couldn't let it fade into obscurity.

When looking at the New Comics/New Adventure/Adventure run, the assortment and varied talent of the earlier contributing cover artists is particularly striking: Ellsworth, Flessel, Guardineer, Flanagan, Bailey, Burnley, S&K, and even O'Mealia.

It mostly reads like a Who's Who of Golden Age greats.

This particular issue is always a crowd-pleaser:

fe892776-e6a2-4385-961b-495b01830658_zps26019529.jpg

2c

I think now is a good time to start collecting Adventure Comics... if you are not collecting them already! They are really cool books with awesome covers & lots of great superhero stories inside. Some of the best Golden Age artist & writers worked on Adventure Comics. Investors generally avoid the title since it's not mainstream DC (Bat/Sup) so the title has not surged upward in price yet, making them quite affordable in comparison.