• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherish a Chesler!
2 2

638 posts in this topic

To bad George Tuska is gone now along with some great artists from the goldenage, Mr. Tuska did some wonderful work in the silverage of Marvel.That's awonderful piece he did for you Mr Berk I wish is was on my wall.

To bad George Tuska is gone now along with some great artists from the goldenage, Mr. Tuska did some wonderful work in the silverage of Marvel.That's awonderful piece he did for you Mr Berk I wish is was on my wall.

A buddy of mine commissioned George to do a recreation cover of Weird Comics #1 about a year before he passed away. George colored it even though he only ordered (and paid for) a B&W recreation. My friend was really happy with it. George was that kind of guy, just a sweet man.

I was actually very surprised to discover Tuska’s golden age work, as we have had almost no golden age material published here in Italy.

I really like the Lady Satan feature, and I always liked his work at Marvel in the 1960s and 1970s.

People like him and Don Heck were always underrated by criticism, while they were professionals with a great deal of integrity. (thumbs u

Is anyone able to answer my Lady Satan reprint question?

I was actually very surprised to discover Tuska’s golden age work, as we have had almost no golden age material published here in Italy.

I really like the Lady Satan feature, and I always liked his work at Marvel in the 1960s and 1970s.

People like him and Don Heck were always underrated by criticism, while they were professionals with a great deal of integrity. (thumbs u

Is anyone able to answer my Lady Satan reprint question?

32. Bulls Eye Comics 11

Drawn by George Tuska, this “Lady Satan” cover first appeared as the splash for the “Lady Satan” story in Dynamic Comics 2. Yes the story from #2 is reprinted within....

some Tuska recreations.....

126535.jpg.9a55664e3a22c7dac0215441a8435032.jpg

126537.jpg.f4130c4afbccd7bf957cc093a9d2901e.jpg

126540.jpg.1e9f48bd073201f8883fdcdaec87d3ea.jpg

Drawn by George Tuska, this “Lady Satan” cover first appeared as the splash for the “Lady Satan” story in Dynamic Comics 2. Yes the story from #2 is reprinted within...

@jb: Many thanks! :)

Great Tuska work love the Weird comics 1 Thanks for posting your art!

Agreed! (thumbs u

I have an impression the man must have been a very humble and great guy.

I was just recollecting memories and I think I read my first Tuska story in 1978, as I started reading Marvels in italian: an Iron Man story featuring "Ultimo".

Here are a few more from my box of Cheslers. The Scoop #2 I am told was Overstreet's copy. I have no way to confirm however, and I guess what does it matter. It's real purdy though.

Punch%2520%252312%2520%2528150%2529.jpg

Scoop%2520%25232%2520%2528150%2529.jpg

One more while I'm at it. You hardly ever see this one for sale, so I'm assuming it is very rare as well. Just not as coveted as some of the other Chesler covers. Again, I think it shows what a great artist Sultan was. I would have to go with Scoop #2 though for his best golden age cover, EVER!

Scoop%2520%25233%2520%2528150%2529.jpg

One more while I'm at it. You hardly ever see this one for sale, so I'm assuming it is very rare as well. Just not as coveted as some of the other Chesler covers. Again, I think it shows what a great artist Sultan was. I would have to go with Scoop #2 though for his best golden age cover, EVER!

Scoop #2 is a masterpiece but I've always had a sneaking fondness for this one. Got my copy off ebay many years ago and it's the only one I ever saw until very recently.

ScoopComics370.jpg

The Scoop #3 cover is super-cool. In some ways, more original than the #2.

What’s cool about the #2 is that the guy is fighting a Shark, underwater, in an evening dress.

@Alanna: The copy you bought on eBay is astonishingly nice in grade. Wow.

Thanks for posting, everyone (although I already saw most covers, it‘s cool to know someone has the books!).

Are there matching stories to these great covers therein? (I understand sometimes there aren't).

Can anyone help me out looking for Dynamic Comics #9

for www.digitalcomicmuseum.com

We have all other issue or have purchased all others (waiting to be scanned)

Coverless is fine, or a better grade.. or a loner, we will scan and return, We have a Minolta PS5000 archive scanner, so book is in cradle and scanned face up. No damage possible..

Thanks for any leads or help

PS: we just completed a tough Captain Aero Comics series on DCM

Hi RH, great to cross you there! ;)

I’m glad of having been of help, and I guess you already asked Mr. Bedrock.

To complete the Chesler run for the DCM, we may try to post a request in the WTB section as well. Anyway, it’s you in the US, me on the other side of the ocean… :-(

very, very rare---second-to-last book i needed for the whole chesler run, punch 12 being dead last.

Can anyone help me out looking for Dynamic Comics #9

for www.digitalcomicmuseum.com

We have all other issue or have purchased all others (waiting to be scanned)

Coverless is fine, or a better grade.. or a loner, we will scan and return, We have a Minolta PS5000 archive scanner, so book is in cradle and scanned face up. No damage possible..

Thanks for any leads or help

PS: we just completed a tough Captain Aero Comics series on DCM

Hey Rangerhouse;

Here are a couple of links to some scans I have on Picassa. One is the entire Double Action Comics from cover to cover, the other is Wow What a Magazine #2 from cover to cover. Feel free to take the images for your archives. You would probably not be able to get interior scans of these books today, especially since most are in CGC capsules.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Barnharp/DoubleAction2?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWrw_j1ycei7AE

https://picasaweb.google.com/Barnharp/WowWhatAMagazine2?authkey=Gv1sRgCNyb6Jaqw9rFOQ

@Et-Es-Go: The Chesler recreations by Ryan are great, but the Marvel Comics #1 really "works" (concerning my previous comments).

It has an atmosphere which has always reminded me of Pulp magazine covers, and while the Cheslers are great but as I said because of their style stray a little from the original mood, in the Human Torch cover the image potential is multiplied. Great job!