• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherish a Chesler!
2 2

638 posts in this topic

@Ryan: what you say is very interesting, especially considered Schomburg ended up doing full-paint pieces later on in his career.

In fact, I recalled mostly his work of the maturity, and had a sort of "epiphany" when I brought out the book "Chroma" I bought about 20 years ago, and I realized it was more than often Schomburg which did all the Timely covers of Captain America and the Human Torch.

I mean, there is probably something par of the artist's vocation, an element of "artistic coincidence", so to speak. Italian awesome artist Gianni De Luca (Frank Miller had been influenced by his late work) was among the few artists which did not write stories to insist that the artist, when taking his "vocation" seriously, was speaking a language, telling a tale at the same level as the comics' writer.

Not sure if I’ve been able to articulate this, but this is an example of his late work:

4-paulus_640px.jpg

(this was an ambitious story, not entirely accomplished, where in a remote future a character found himself following the steps of St. Paul, a sort of ingenuous combination of a science-fiction setting reminescent of Jim Starlin's work with the breathe of a biblical landscape. the evil-looking character is a machine-like version of the devil).

BTW, how would you feel re-interpreting some Son of Satan cover? :)

I am a big fan of Steve Gerber and I thought there has never been a full-paint illustration of Daimon Hellstrom.

Apologies for haching the Chesler thread. Maybe we should start one about these issues…

maybe I should contribute an actual Chesler while I'm here...

My only Chesler, but not my last. I have always loved this suggestive cover. Pretty common book, but doesn't diminish the coolness of the cover!

dynamic16-1.jpg

are you calling the seller common? are you? are you?

My only Chesler, but not my last. I have always loved this suggestive cover. Pretty common book, but doesn't diminish the coolness of the cover!

dynamic16-1.jpg

I meant to "pretty Cajun book".

I only wished I could own the original artwork I remember your article on Chesler in the comicbook marketplace.don"t you just love Gus Ricca art wish I had meet him

dynamic16-1.jpg

I meant to "pretty Cajun book".

that's more like it!

The scan does not do the piece justice. I thought this was one of the best pieces I saw during my visit to Jon's place. :cloud9:

126472.jpg

I love it when Jon pulls stuff out of the closet for us to see. You only obtain a collection like Jon's through many years of cultivating relationships with everyone at every level of this hobby. He passed on a great deal to fellow collectors (I know because I got one) and in turn I'm sure received some great deals as well. He has a phenomenal interest in the history of how these funny books came to be, their continuity and how they relate to each other, then he freely shares that with everyone.

So thanks Jon for always posting amazing things and leaving us all awe struck with the cool thing you have collected over many many years. This to me is what holds an enduring interest for the hobby. These folks that crafted an enduring piece of Americana that is recorded in the ephemera we all collect. It's hard to describe why these comics hold the allure they do, but they do.

So, since we're on the Cherish a Chesler thread...... Jon, could you post the unpublished Chesler Rocketman/Octopus cover here. That piece is simply amazing.

I love it when Jon pulls stuff out of the closet for us to see. You only obtain a collection like Jon's through many years of cultivating relationships with everyone at every level of this hobby. He passed on a great deal to fellow collectors (I know because I got one) and in turn I'm sure received some great deals as well. He has a phenomenal interest in the history of how these funny books came to be, their continuity and how they relate to each other, then he freely shares that with everyone.

So thanks Jon for always posting amazing things and leaving us all awe struck with the cool thing you have collected over many many years. This to me is what holds an enduring interest for the hobby. These folks that crafted an enduring piece of Americana that is recorded in the ephemera we all collect. It's hard to describe why these comics hold the allure they do, but they do.

So, since we're on the Cherish a Chesler thread...... Jon, could you post the unpublished Chesler Rocketman/Octopus cover here. That piece is simply amazing.

thank you for the kind words. "Even a blind squirrel can find a nut...."

Per your request. But please let me know how this rocket pack works under water???!!!

126491.jpg.5ca769d8fa63032f8b4307e6aa99712f.jpg

The scan does not do the piece justice. I thought this was one of the best pieces I saw during my visit to Jon's place. :cloud9:

126472.jpg

What Alan is alluding to is that each line of the herringbone jacket is separately drawn.....

That Bullseye issue (great cover, BTW) has a cover image which is the same of the splash page from the Lady Satan story from Dynamic #3.

Does it contain a reprint of that story?

@jbcomicbox: Great original art. I like how titles and lettering are neatly executed or pasted on the artwork itself.

thank you for the kind words. "Even a blind squirrel can find a nut...."

Per your request. But please let me know how this rocket pack works under water???!!!

I don't think the rocket packs are working, thus part of the problem they are having with the octopus, having to fight it in its world.